GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Binge & Purge"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 26/02/02 at 01:32
Regular
I want a new game.
Something I haven't played before.
I don't mean a new game to buy, I mean I want someone out there, a developer somewhere, to use that knotted cord of cells in his skull to be original and create something new.

It can't be that hard, we have a limitless imagination and can dream of other worlds and conjure gods.
So why then, can I get a racing game, a fighting game, or a jumpy about collecting things game?

There's a game called Rez, doesn't interest me but at least it's something new.
Same with Parappa the Rappa, it was odd but totally different.
I don't want to guide some large-breasted Indiana Jones wannabe around some dusty levels for no point.
I don't want to have a fighting game where different characters beat the tar out of each other.
Is it just me?
Am I the only one that stares at the shelves and sees loads and loads of game boxes, but only about 4 different types of game within?
Sure, the graphics are different, but it's the same bloody thing over and over.

Wolfenstein & Medal of Honour are good games.
But they're the same as Half-Life, which is the same as Doom.
GTA3 is a good game, but it's the same as Driver and the same as Target Renegade.
Sure, it looks better and stuff but it's the same clunky, wheezing ideas being trotted out time and time again.

Ecco The Dolphin.
Not my sort of game (I think) but at least it's different.
Same with Microsoft Train Simulator - I can't think why anyone would want to buy that (I got it gratis, as a joke from some punk here), but it's a break from the norm.

So why is it so hard for developers to think outside the box?
"People buy these sorts of games, they sell"
Well hey Activision/whoever, if all you serve is one food then of course people are going to eat it, because they don't have any choice.

Give us the chance to experience something new, it may work or it may not, but for chrissakes, put some effort into it would you?
Stop vomiting up the same old ideas but putting shinier game engines on it and counting the cash.
And we can do our part as consumners - just don't buy the games you know are the same old stuff.
Film License games.
They always bring 'em out and they always, always suck.
So who buys them?
Stop buying and the developers will start having to think.

Say what you like about Black and White (and sometimes I hate it, other times I love it), but it was a new game, a new style and totally original stuff for you to play around with.
Doesn't matter if you liked it or not, it was a breath of fresh air in an otherwise fetid dungeon of samey titles all vying for your hard-earned.

But what am I saying, you're all creaming for Metal Gear Solid 2.
Yeah, it looks nice.
Yeah, you can hide in lockers but it's exactly the same as before, there is nothing different here. It's just newer.
Tue 26/02/02 at 15:50
there is nothing else for me to play, all the game are just the too easy!
Tue 26/02/02 at 15:48
ill tell ya what im gona do!

i have mgs already and its the best game ever in my opinion

and leave my stained underwear outa this were talking about mgs2 not panties!
Tue 26/02/02 at 15:47
ill tell ya what im gona do!

after playing MGS2
Tue 26/02/02 at 15:40
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Meka Dragon wrote:

What you gonna do Curny?

What you gonna do?

Call the Ghostbusters?
Tue 26/02/02 at 15:31
Regular
"not dead"
Curny wrote:

>Dont ever speak ill of MGS2!

>What did it do to you!! EH!

>LEAVE IT ALONE!

So Curny, what you gonna do when this game doesn't change your life?

What you gonna do when you wake up in the same bed, wearing the same stained undies?

What you gonna do Curny?

What you gonna do?
Tue 26/02/02 at 15:25
Goatboy wrote:
>
But what am I saying, you're all creaming for Metal Gear Solid
> 2.
Yeah, it looks nice.
Yeah, you can hide in lockers but it's exactly the
> same as before, there is nothing different here. It's just newer.

Dont ever speak ill of MGS2!

What did it do to you!! EH!

LEAVE IT ALONE!
Tue 26/02/02 at 14:56
Regular
"smile, it's free"
It's too easy to be cynical and moan that the industry is run by money pinchers who want to play safe all the time, but that doesn't tell the whole story.

Many companies ARE losing money. A lot of money. They're losing money, and they're releasing the same old types of game that just don't match up to the 'top of the field' titles in each genre. Companies that are losing money know they can't compete, and they know they need to release something special. But rarely does anything different come. The good ideas just aren't there.

Business is not about playing safe and becoming stagnant, and it never has been. That's how companies go bust. Making money is about taking justifiable risks, staying one step ahead of your competitors, not following in their footsteps. These people know this. Do you really think that all they want to do is release sub standard steriotypes?

Maybe that's just what their designers think, too.

Who can name any games by Zed Two apart from Wetrix?

Wetrix was an original puzzler, and it made them. Other companies want that to happen to them, but they need the ideas. If a designer has good ideas, and is committed and confident about them, he should be able to convince those above him of why it will work. After all, that's part of his job too, isn't it?

You can't just blame the men at the top. A company is far more than a handful of executives.
Tue 26/02/02 at 13:29
Regular
"not dead"
I reckon the game might be fun though.

Possibly.
Tue 26/02/02 at 13:28
Regular
"Excommunicated"
There's an idea... you be a member in a band.

Although it might be easier to learn instrument and play in abd rather than press buttons in the right order.
Tue 26/02/02 at 13:27
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I don't want to be no manager.

You'll have to swan about with a big cigar, turn up at gigs and schmooze, never ever offer to help with the gear and ask for your 20% from door money and t-shirt/CD sales despite the fact that you barely break even.

Not that I'm glad we sacked ours or anything.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.