GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Far Cry 3"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Far Cry 3'.
Fri 08/02/13 at 11:43
Regular
“There is a first time for everything”

The Far Cry series is one that I have let slip under my radar until now. Hearing mostly positive praise from critics, I wanted to try this latest instalment. Before I heard about Far Cry 3 I was looking at the latest Tomb Raider game of which there are a few notable parallels: both protagonists are stranded on a hostile tropical island and they both start unaccustomed to killing and end up killing without hesitation. There are big spoilers ahead including the ending, so be warned.

However the protagonist in Far Cry 3, Jason Body, although supposedly spoilt and timid is strangely quite the warrior from the outset. After escaping from his captors he meets Dennis Rogers who offers him some money to buy a gun. Jason replies “I’ve never shot anyone before” and immediately starts aiming like a pro. One of your first tasks is to kill some wild boar which is less intimidating than the bears and big wild cats you might find later in the game. However, not long after starting the game I managed to kill a crocodile with my bare hands. I never see the transition from a wimp to a warrior, all I saw was the story telling a different tale from reality. Jason’s friends only state that he has changed once or twice and with little fear or concern. After Jason saves his friends, none of them seem to be in a state of disbelief that the wimpy Jason had fought off many armed guards to rescue them. As you progress through the game you meet Citra, a magical tribal queen who blesses you with Maori tribal tattoos which become more visible as you unlock more skills. The actions of killing guards and skinning animals’ changes Jason and he tells his friends that he wishes to stay on the island and that his friends should go without him. However, by the end of Jason’s journey you are supposed to be convinced that Jason has become an insane or savage monster that is willing to take the lives of his friends to be with Citra. Although you are given the option to save your friends, this is what Jason would have done without player input. But what reason does the game give you to think that he is insane at this point in the game? He kills a lot of people but they are pirates and mercenaries who shoot him on sight, so he is acting in self defence. Although it may have been slightly hinted at, it isn’t clear that he is insane so when you are presented the choice to save your friends or join Citra there is only one clear option which makes the ending confusing and anticlimactic.

“Did I ever tell you the definition of Insanity?”

Although the overall story falls flat for me, there are highlights with the opening sequence where you are running from Vaas which is an adrenaline pumping start to the game. Vaas, the man on the box, is the most enjoyable character as you listen to his insane ramblings and he also likes to quote movie references like “run forest run” for the aforementioned chase sequence.

Far Cry 3 is an open world first person shooter and the main missions are done in a linear sequence, but there are many side missions to occupy you if you don’t feel like progressing quickly through the story. There are many radio towers scattered over the island and each are designed differently so it doesn’t feel too samey to climb to the top of them. Once you turn a tower on, you gain a free weapon and you get to see all the animal hunting areas, roads and plants in a square section of the map. If you want to craft better equipment you will need to skin a certain animal type so it helps to know where they are on the map.

Crafting allows you to create larger wallets, larger ammo pouches, larger quivers, weapon holsters, syringe kits and a larger rucksack to carry more items. I would have said that it feels a bit limited, but compared to Red Dead Redemption skinning animals is far more useful.

Syringes are created by gathering different coloured leaves on the island. Green leaves create medical syringes, Red leaves create combat syringes, Yellow leaves create hunting syringes and blue leaves create exploring syringes. Although there is a wide variety I rarely used anything other than the medical syringes.

There are also outposts all over the island which Jason can take over. Doing so gets rid of hostile soldiers in the area, gives you significant experience, some optional missions and a place to fast travel to. You gain bonus experience from taking out all the guards without being noticed and it is enjoyable to pick them off one by one. Alternatively the outpost may contain caged animals which you can free with a silenced shot and the animal can take down the guards for you. However, the open world has random elements to it and one of the outposts was attacked by a pack of dogs while I was about to attack which I thought was a nice surprise. Then again animals did randomly attack me while I was trying to take out an outpost, but I do like the random elements as you can get tired of scripted sequences.

My favourite moments of the game were when I was animal hunting such as trying to kill a bear in a very dark cave, hunting a tiger for the first time and being surprised when being attacked by a shark when swimming. I also frantically panned the camera around when I heard hissing from a Komodo dragon as it’s hard to tell where they are coming from. I also felt that driving is pretty fun in Far Cry 3 as your car can tumble and roll down hills like your Ace Ventura looking for a parking space.

In summary, although I didn’t like the way the story ended I was still entertained by it. Jason and his friends do suffer on the island and there are disturbing moments in the story. Although I’ve mentioned Vaas as an enjoyable character there are others such as Hoyt and Buck who are also memorable although for less savoury reasons. The gameplay is the best part of Far Cry 3 for me though with the random behaviour of the animals and picking off guards with stealth or going in guns blazing never got old for me. The constant alternation between free roaming and scripted events is likely to keep your attention for its duration. It is the game I’ve had the most fun with in 2012 and you should visit the island sometime.
Mon 21/10/13 at 21:03
Regular
Farcry3 has a task to get to the dock in the cave. I got to the chamber & Jason needs to take an alternate route. which is where???
Fri 08/02/13 at 11:43
Regular
“There is a first time for everything”

The Far Cry series is one that I have let slip under my radar until now. Hearing mostly positive praise from critics, I wanted to try this latest instalment. Before I heard about Far Cry 3 I was looking at the latest Tomb Raider game of which there are a few notable parallels: both protagonists are stranded on a hostile tropical island and they both start unaccustomed to killing and end up killing without hesitation. There are big spoilers ahead including the ending, so be warned.

However the protagonist in Far Cry 3, Jason Body, although supposedly spoilt and timid is strangely quite the warrior from the outset. After escaping from his captors he meets Dennis Rogers who offers him some money to buy a gun. Jason replies “I’ve never shot anyone before” and immediately starts aiming like a pro. One of your first tasks is to kill some wild boar which is less intimidating than the bears and big wild cats you might find later in the game. However, not long after starting the game I managed to kill a crocodile with my bare hands. I never see the transition from a wimp to a warrior, all I saw was the story telling a different tale from reality. Jason’s friends only state that he has changed once or twice and with little fear or concern. After Jason saves his friends, none of them seem to be in a state of disbelief that the wimpy Jason had fought off many armed guards to rescue them. As you progress through the game you meet Citra, a magical tribal queen who blesses you with Maori tribal tattoos which become more visible as you unlock more skills. The actions of killing guards and skinning animals’ changes Jason and he tells his friends that he wishes to stay on the island and that his friends should go without him. However, by the end of Jason’s journey you are supposed to be convinced that Jason has become an insane or savage monster that is willing to take the lives of his friends to be with Citra. Although you are given the option to save your friends, this is what Jason would have done without player input. But what reason does the game give you to think that he is insane at this point in the game? He kills a lot of people but they are pirates and mercenaries who shoot him on sight, so he is acting in self defence. Although it may have been slightly hinted at, it isn’t clear that he is insane so when you are presented the choice to save your friends or join Citra there is only one clear option which makes the ending confusing and anticlimactic.

“Did I ever tell you the definition of Insanity?”

Although the overall story falls flat for me, there are highlights with the opening sequence where you are running from Vaas which is an adrenaline pumping start to the game. Vaas, the man on the box, is the most enjoyable character as you listen to his insane ramblings and he also likes to quote movie references like “run forest run” for the aforementioned chase sequence.

Far Cry 3 is an open world first person shooter and the main missions are done in a linear sequence, but there are many side missions to occupy you if you don’t feel like progressing quickly through the story. There are many radio towers scattered over the island and each are designed differently so it doesn’t feel too samey to climb to the top of them. Once you turn a tower on, you gain a free weapon and you get to see all the animal hunting areas, roads and plants in a square section of the map. If you want to craft better equipment you will need to skin a certain animal type so it helps to know where they are on the map.

Crafting allows you to create larger wallets, larger ammo pouches, larger quivers, weapon holsters, syringe kits and a larger rucksack to carry more items. I would have said that it feels a bit limited, but compared to Red Dead Redemption skinning animals is far more useful.

Syringes are created by gathering different coloured leaves on the island. Green leaves create medical syringes, Red leaves create combat syringes, Yellow leaves create hunting syringes and blue leaves create exploring syringes. Although there is a wide variety I rarely used anything other than the medical syringes.

There are also outposts all over the island which Jason can take over. Doing so gets rid of hostile soldiers in the area, gives you significant experience, some optional missions and a place to fast travel to. You gain bonus experience from taking out all the guards without being noticed and it is enjoyable to pick them off one by one. Alternatively the outpost may contain caged animals which you can free with a silenced shot and the animal can take down the guards for you. However, the open world has random elements to it and one of the outposts was attacked by a pack of dogs while I was about to attack which I thought was a nice surprise. Then again animals did randomly attack me while I was trying to take out an outpost, but I do like the random elements as you can get tired of scripted sequences.

My favourite moments of the game were when I was animal hunting such as trying to kill a bear in a very dark cave, hunting a tiger for the first time and being surprised when being attacked by a shark when swimming. I also frantically panned the camera around when I heard hissing from a Komodo dragon as it’s hard to tell where they are coming from. I also felt that driving is pretty fun in Far Cry 3 as your car can tumble and roll down hills like your Ace Ventura looking for a parking space.

In summary, although I didn’t like the way the story ended I was still entertained by it. Jason and his friends do suffer on the island and there are disturbing moments in the story. Although I’ve mentioned Vaas as an enjoyable character there are others such as Hoyt and Buck who are also memorable although for less savoury reasons. The gameplay is the best part of Far Cry 3 for me though with the random behaviour of the animals and picking off guards with stealth or going in guns blazing never got old for me. The constant alternation between free roaming and scripted events is likely to keep your attention for its duration. It is the game I’ve had the most fun with in 2012 and you should visit the island sometime.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.