GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Hey film monkeys - over here..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 24/02/02 at 23:47
Regular
On the 22nd of April "The Man Who Wasn't There" comes to us on DVD. It's a Coen Brothers film, and they have yet to make a bad film, or even an average film.

So make sure you set aside £20 or so for that date otherwise you might miss out on what was one if the critics' favourite films last year. And those critics are notoriously retentive so if they all like something then it's usually a pretty good indication that it's something special.

Also you probably missed it when it was on at the cinema because it didn't get a wide scale release. Especially if you live in the Midlands, like me, where "Cats and Dogs" is STILL running, and the man on the phone at the cinema tells me that they didn't have room to screen "Mulholland Drive" when they were showing "the Grinch" AGAIN.

It has Billy Bob Thornton in it, and he's married to Angelina Jolie so he must have something we don't know about. And it has Frances McDormand, who's a Coens regular and Oscar winner. And it has James Gandolfini, who's everyone's favourite organised crime boss in the Sopranos. And if the "O Brother" re-released DVD is anything to go by it might be a 2 disc extras-packed affair.

Basically you have to own this film.

Also watch out for:
A-team Vol. 3 - 18th March
Delicatessen - 15th April
The Usual Suspects - 29th April
Ghost World - 20th May
And..
Erotic Witch Box Set - Out Now
Wed 06/02/13 at 21:50
Regular
Well done to Harry, Ryan, Jack & Tom for a great win in the Captins' Drive in. We came a close 2nd due to all four of us missing a 5 foot putt on the 17th !!! Rest assured we will be gunning for you guys in the next team comp! Well played and like Barry said - you are the future of the club!
Tue 26/02/02 at 21:02
Regular
It's pretty cheap on DVD at www.[one of the things a Mars Bar helped you do... no, not work. Nor rest.].com
Tue 26/02/02 at 21:01
Regular
It's a Steve Martin spoof of everything that ever was noir... with people like Bogart popping up every now and again, blended into the film excellently. Really funny.

Damn... now I want to watch it again.
Mon 25/02/02 at 21:39
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
Grix Thraves wrote:
Man Who Wasn't There. Noir
> detective/thriller, from what I could see. I love stuff like that.

Dead Men
> Don't Wear Plaid, the homage to all the old noir detective films, is now
> definitely one of the best films I've ever seen.

And the Erotic Witch has a
> box set? Christ. I'll wait for the third one before I make a move, I think.

The Coens make pretty damn good film noirs as well. I've read good things about the Man Who Wasn't there but never managed to see it. Mainly because the cinemas here are pap. The only chance I did get to go and see it involved a 2 hour lecture on the Coen Brothers' films beforehand and my clarinet lesson landed bang in the middle, so I missed out there too. :-(

Another film where I have to wait for the DVD.

Film Noirs rock. I got into them after reading "The Big Sleep" by Raymond Chandler and finding by some twist of fate that it was on TV the day after I'd finished the book. I'll probably watch Blood Simple again to get in the mood for the man who wasn't there, as it's also a very good film noir by the Coens. And I'll try, doubtless in vain, to find Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid at my local Blockbuster.
Mon 25/02/02 at 21:36
Regular
You know what this site's missing? Ads for films.

If you go to www.****.com... err... well, I bet you know what it is... they have ads for all sorts of odd films. It's been down to those adverts that have actually made me buy them.

I saw a Battle Royale ad, it reminded me of how you guys went on about it, so I bought that. Same with quite a few others.

We need more film banners...

...Isn't there a compo going on about this?

(I thought Compo died.)

Yeah, it's his son now.

(Ah, thought so.)
Mon 25/02/02 at 21:30
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> Don't copy my smile Shaneo. My smile. Mine.

Doh!
Mon 25/02/02 at 21:29
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
$h@ne0 wrote:
> Also watch out for:

A-team Vol. 3 - 18th March
Yay! Wathca talkin' bout
> man!?!? :0)

You seem to have pilfered Grix's smiley there...

Delicatessen - 15th April
Haven't heard of that film - someone
> please enlighten me.

The Delicatessen rocks. It's a French film by Jeunet and Caro, who made Amelie, City of the Lost Children and Alien:Resurrection. It's famous for a scene in which lots of mad French people all do different actions in time to two people "getting down to business" on a creaky bed. I think that this is the trailer for the film, and if you downloaded the battle royale trailer Shaneo, then you should really download this too. Because it rules and it will make you want to buy the film.

The Usual Suspects - 29th April
Superb. I'll be getting
> that.

Good call. the DVD comes with a commentary too, and all manner of other lovely extras. About time too as well, my Usual Suspects VHS is just about on its last legs. I can quote the thing verbatim, but I still intend to get it.

Ghost World - 20th May
Haven't heard of that film - someone please
> enlighten me.

It's just meant to be an intelligent, poignant film and that's how I like them. Especially when there is a complete vacuum of the things in the Midlands.

And..
Erotic Witch Box Set - Out Now
I saw that in my local
> SR shop :0)

Don't they shout at you if you venture into the adults section?
Mon 25/02/02 at 19:24
Regular
You won't like Ghost World Shaneo. There's no explosions, and it requires you to, like, think and stuff. Whoa!
Mon 25/02/02 at 12:22
Regular
Oh, and misterhappy, you think you've got it bad? They're still showing SHREK here.
Mon 25/02/02 at 12:21
Regular
Don't copy my smile Shaneo. My smile. Mine.

Man Who Wasn't There. Noir detective/thriller, from what I could see. I love stuff like that.

Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid, the homage to all the old noir detective films, is now definitely one of the best films I've ever seen.

And the Erotic Witch has a box set? Christ. I'll wait for the third one before I make a move, I think.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.