GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"HOLODECKS...surely the ultimate future"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 25/09/00 at 16:35
Regular
Well i doubt i will see one in my lifetime but i hope maybe my kids do ??
What could match a holodeck ? Create your own world and explore, get shot and u don't die. You can even eat the food in a holodeck (although i'm not sure how much of a substantial meal it would make)
How long untill they come, or at least some sort of GOOD fully 360 degree VR type thing.
A bit like the matrix really, except u don't have a big metal rod in your head.
THE FUTURE OF GAMING IS HOLODECKS !!
Wed 27/09/00 at 20:10
Regular
Surely thats more than two?
Wed 27/09/00 at 00:09
Damo wrote:
> I think the best two things you can possibly have is a joypad,
> some sweets and console and a TV anyday, much better and it will
> never ever change, full stop(well i wouldnt want it to anyway!)
damo just exposed himself as a virgin, I just hope he's still in his early teens
Tue 26/09/00 at 20:03
red Dwarf can't be compared to Star Trek, Star Wars, Star Gate, Battlestar Galactica or anything like that as it's a comedy SCi-fi.

Although it is probably the best comedy show on Earth! (I don't want to see the American version though! It wouldn't be the same without Craig Charles! Also the only original character in it is Holly)

The holodeck Idea is great! You wouldn't have to imagine these videogame stars! You could actually do things which I'm probably not allowed to say on here with them! Also if you turned safeties off (See Star Trek VIII) then you could actually risk your life and have loads of people shooting at you!

I wouldn't mind a holosuite or holodeck(a section on a ship with holosuites) as you could program it to do virtually anything but I don't think I will live to see that kind of technology.

Wouldn't they cure world hunger? (Mini holo-replicators that is)
Tue 26/09/00 at 17:33
Red Dwarf is definately the best Sci-Fi comedy in the world, I found it really annoying when the brainless Americans decided to port it to the States, and it turned out to be a big pile of ****, if you know what I mean.
Mon 25/09/00 at 20:35
Red dwarf is really funny at times and not at others, but for the most part it's a good show...oops, stay on topic folks....
The other big Star Trek invention would be the food replicators, banishing famine for ever (in countries with electricity) but you cannot make something from nothing, so I can't see how it could work. Inventions from Star Wars however are more difficult...voice changer toys have been available for ages, sparked off by the Darth Vader voice. Um...reconstructive surgery on hands (having to wear a black glove and pretending it's trendy being the only downpoint) and er...I've won gameaday (whohoo!)...sorry, just found out!...
Mon 25/09/00 at 19:50
Regular
Floating cars? Red Dwarf is better than Star Trek anyway.
Mon 25/09/00 at 19:32
Perhaps where VR has gone wrong is that the people who would usually be interested in it are more likely to go for 'sitting down' games (not that I'm say we are a lot of fat couch potatoes or anything...er...am I?!) Maybe they could invent a sit down machine that makes you believe you are walking or running or whatever, like a quake style game but where you feel you are part of the game rather than an active observer (hey, I like that phrase!)
It would be like the Red Dwarf virtual reality game (argh! another Sci Fi programme) but without being able to feel the pain or feel exhausted at the end of it.

On the subject of Holodecks, Radio 1 did a survey last month in one of their news articles, about what inventions people wanted to see. Guess what came first?
Mon 25/09/00 at 18:45
Regular
You've been watching Star Trek alot haven't you?
Mon 25/09/00 at 17:52
I think the best two things you can possibly have is a joypad, some sweets and console and a TV anyday, much better and it will never ever change, full stop(well i wouldnt want it to anyway!)
Mon 25/09/00 at 17:48
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I prefer to sit on my butt when playing games, VR is too much like hard work, I prefer to think when I'm gaming, it's stimulation for my brain not my body that I'm after, I can get my body stimulated by taking a cold shower. If holodecks were in the future, knowing my coordination I'd jump like Solid Snake, shoot like a dolphin and swim like Mario, so it's just not my cup of tea thankyou.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.