GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Best and Worst Games Retailers"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 30/10/12 at 13:41
"possibly impossible"
We've all been there, seduced by a good deal, maybe only a few £ cheaper than everywhere else, but it's still less money, isn't it?

But then it comes to release day and the postman comes. Then goes. The next day, the same thing. You see everyone else playing the game when you log in to PSN or XBL.

Of course, retailers do get better and worse as time goes on, so I thought that it's worth sharing your own experiences to build a picture of the best and worst places to go and get a game.

From my experience:

Shopto - Best for delivery, always either on time or a few days early and give you an email to show the game has dispatched. Worst for refunds as once you've paid, the money stays in your account.

Amazon - Rarely an issue with delivery and most of the time on time. Good prices and a price promise to pay less if the game drops in price before release. Also great customer service.

Zavvi/The Hut - Started off great, went into money problems but then bounced back. The Mega Monday and other deals are good value for money, but their delivery times are often way out and I've had to wait days or weeks past the release date to get anything new.

Game - You may scoff, but at least you can walk in and pick something up on the day of release. Also allows for trade-ins, making games that much cheaper and recycling older games. Prices often a bit steep compared to online, though.

Pete_21
The Game Collection - Good price and fast delivery - got game way before launch.

Game/Gamestation pre-orders usually arrive 1-2 days before street date

Zavvi/The Hut are usually considerably slower.

Shopto.net have always been fast in my experience which is handy if there's something you wanted yesterday.

Nin

Amazon - They're pretty good to be honest but I don't like the impersonal approach to buying online. Also their marketplace sellers aren't always brilliant.

Game - Exactly what I don't want from a game store. Dark, expensive, crowded, poorly priced trade ins and impersonal staff.

Currys - Poorly priced, games tend to break for some reason, staff don't know crap

Gamestation - The opposite of GAME, apart from pricing.

HMV - Ahahahaha no.

Dean5
Game shop: Generally quick and easy. You can just stop by, see what's new and pick up any recent game at a reasonable price.

Steam: For organising games, second to none. As far as purchasing goes, it's really convenient if you have time to wait, or have an excellent connection. Generally overpriced in my opinion unless there is a deal on.

Game online / Amazon / Play: I've used all three of these and haven't seen any significant difference. Just pick the best deal and wait for a few days. If you're lucky it'll come through quick.

Alfonse
Steam
Mon 12/11/12 at 14:06
"possibly impossible"
Have added recommendations and comments from everyone on the original post.
Sat 10/11/12 at 23:17
Regular
"I like turtles"
DL wrote:
And are you any good at it?

Nope, I suck.

What was your rank in BF3? ;¬)

Tried the BF3 multiplayer beta , really didn't like it. Everyone was just far too serious on it for my liking, there were people dishing out orders (like the Drill Sergeant from Full Metal Jacket!) and generally taking it all a bit too seriously. I was constantly thinking ''you do know this isn't real guys....?''
Sat 10/11/12 at 20:18
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
And are you any good at it? What was your rank in BF3? ;¬)
Sat 10/11/12 at 17:35
Regular
"I like turtles"
Sonic Chris wrote:
Pete I'm ashamed of you...

Oh I know it's crap and it's not even original crap, it's the same old crap I've played hundreds of times before. What it is though is fun crap and that's good enough me. Anyone who enjoyed the other games will like this, anyone who didn't wont, simple as that really. Graphics do seem a bit prettier than the last one, the futuristic weapons are good fun and it does run very well online (no lag whatsoever). It's exactly what I was expecting TBH.
Sat 10/11/12 at 15:46
Regular
"How Ironic"
pete_21 wrote:
Big thumbs up for The Game Collection, got my Black Ops 2 this morning (3 days before release date!).

EDIT: Will report what it's like later (if the Mrs. allows me to play on it!).

Pete I'm ashamed of you...
Sat 10/11/12 at 15:18
Regular
"I like turtles"
Big thumbs up for The Game Collection, got my Black Ops 2 this morning (3 days before release date!).

EDIT: Will report what it's like later (if the Mrs. allows me to play on it!).
Thu 01/11/12 at 14:37
Regular
"I like turtles"
dean5 wrote:
Also for ordering a game from the Internet, unless you pay the extra for First Class, you're going to be waiting anyway.

Some online retailers do ship pre-orders prior to release date and some do post 1st class for no extra charge. Game/Gamestation pre-orders usually arrive 1-2 days before street date while Zavvi/The Hut are usually considerably slower. Shopto.net have always been fast in my experience which is handy if there's something you wanted yesterday.
Thu 01/11/12 at 12:47
Staff Moderator
"Mr Dean"
For me, because it takes days to download a game at home, Steam isn't really an option if I'm eager to buy a game.

Also for ordering a game from the Internet, unless you pay the extra for First Class, you're going to be waiting anyway.

When you can just walk to Game in town and pay marginally more then what you would online, it just seems the better option.

I also much prefer looking around a real shop rather then a virtual one because you can just see exactly what is available quickly rather then having to run several searches, which may take you directly to what your looking for, but doesn't really tell you what else is there.

Game shop: Generally quick and easy. You can just stop by, see what's new and pick up any recent game at a reasonable price.

Steam: For organising games, second to none. As far as purchasing goes, it's really convenient if you have time to wait, or have an excellent connection. Generally overpriced in my opinion unless there is a deal on.

Game online / Amazon / Play: I've used all three of these and haven't seen any significant difference. Just pick the best deal and wait for a few days. If you're lucky it'll come through quick.
Wed 31/10/12 at 23:57
Regular
Best: Steam

Worst: Everything else
Wed 31/10/12 at 19:38
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Amazon - They're pretty good to be honest but I don't like the impersonal approach to buying online. Also their marketplace sellers aren't always brilliant.

Game - Exactly what I don't want from a game store. Dark, expensive, crowded, poorly priced trade ins and impersonal staff.

Currys - Poorly priced, games tend to break for some reason, staff don't know crap

Gamestation - The opposite of GAME, apart from pricing.

HMV - Ahahahaha no.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.