GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"IE9/IE8 problems haha"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 14/10/12 at 21:21
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Sorry all, but this is no joke ....

Mrs DL has a Toshiba Laptop. It has been running like a hare for years and all systems have been regularly updated as required and requested. Two days ago, IE9 refused to connect. No amount of persuading would change the stubborn beast. So Firefox was installed and FF connected, like 'manure off a shovel' (notice the change of words there)!

Tonight, Mrs DL cannot cope with FF ... it's not the same!!! (Even though it connects!!!)

Tried again. Repaired IE9 ... no go. Then installed IE9, but our version is newer than the MS installer ... no go. Uninstalled IE9 and so revert to IE8 and this won't connect either .... but guess what ...

A. Firefox connects and no problemo
B. Firefox, IE9 and IE8 connect on my wired PC
C. Firefox and IE8 connect on my other wireless PC

Any other solutions or suggestions out there in the dark and hallowed Halls of Freeola :¬)
Mon 15/10/12 at 19:53
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Thanks Dave (I can't keep typing Davidm4!) ...

Very pleased to report that re-installing Flash Player didn't work and neither did the recent 'Windows Updates...security issues for IE' :¬)

FF still performs like the bullet train but IE9 and 8 are ......... 'a waste of space and time' and Mrs DL will just have to accept the inevitable ... technology!!!

However, she has just asked ... "am I having Google Chrome?" Maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel :¬)
Mon 15/10/12 at 13:04
Regular
On the same forum one guy said that he solved his issue by re-installing the updates rather than the browser itself. Not sure about what updates mind. I can only seem to find OS updates and doing a OS re-install is my last resort option.

Edit: Re-Installing Flash Player worked for me. Guess we really do have different issues :p
Mon 15/10/12 at 11:46
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Davidm4 wrote:
My IE9 stopped working properly a few days ago and loads pages like a snail. I've tried advanced reset, clearing all history/download files, dns clearing, microsoft fixit and re-installing. However, I did read on the forums that it may have been caused by the latest security updates which I can believe considering IE8 doesn't work either.

Thanks for this Davidm4 ... I was considering that aspect, but it still doesn't explain why the other two still work - one is on Vista 64bit and the other on XP Pro 32bit. But having said that, this may be a reason!

I'm using Chrome at the moment. My dad complained that he prefers IE9 because he likes to click the star for the favourite sites list. In Chrome all he had to do was click the menu button next to the star and go to bookmarks. I suppose it is longer but only by one menu. Stubborn beast indeed :p

(p.s I know you were talking about the browser, not your wife)

Chrome may be a solution, probably give that a go to see if Mrs DL 'copes' with that! On reflection, I may have been talking about Mrs DL and IE9 :¬)
Mon 15/10/12 at 11:36
Regular
DL wrote:

Mrs DL cannot cope with FF ... it's not the same!!!

No amount of persuading would change the stubborn beast.

My IE9 stopped working properly a few days ago and loads pages like a snail. I've tried advanced reset, clearing all history/download files, dns clearing, microsoft fixit and re-installing. However, I did read on the forums that it may have been caused by the latest security updates which I can believe considering IE8 doesn't work either.

I'm using Chrome at the moment. My dad complained that he prefers IE9 because he likes to click the star for the favourite sites list. In Chrome all he had to do was click the menu button next to the star and go to bookmarks. I suppose it is longer but only by one menu. Stubborn beast indeed :p

(p.s I know you were talking about the browser, not your wife)
Mon 15/10/12 at 11:23
"Are you sure?"
DL wrote:
Granted, but two other machines are both running IE successfully using the same connection.

Hi DL - it will most likely be an issue with the local PC not the router/connection! :¬)

So other machines without IE or related problems (firewall, etc.) obviously won't be affected...

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 15/10/12 at 10:44
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Hmmm... wrote:
Not necessarily - lots of 'people' target IE.

Granted, but two other machines are both running IE successfully using the same connection.
Mon 15/10/12 at 10:31
"Are you sure?"
Not necessarily - lots of 'people' target IE.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 15/10/12 at 10:17
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Thanks for the suggestions Hmmm, but have already tried most of them last night. If there was a 'virus/malicious issue', I would assume that it would also affect FF and all attempts to access the Net.
Mon 15/10/12 at 09:26
"Are you sure?"
Hi DL,
Could be a few things - broken install or virus/malicious issue perhaps?

I would start by trying IE with no addons Method 5 - here along with some other MS tips

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sun 14/10/12 at 21:21
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Sorry all, but this is no joke ....

Mrs DL has a Toshiba Laptop. It has been running like a hare for years and all systems have been regularly updated as required and requested. Two days ago, IE9 refused to connect. No amount of persuading would change the stubborn beast. So Firefox was installed and FF connected, like 'manure off a shovel' (notice the change of words there)!

Tonight, Mrs DL cannot cope with FF ... it's not the same!!! (Even though it connects!!!)

Tried again. Repaired IE9 ... no go. Then installed IE9, but our version is newer than the MS installer ... no go. Uninstalled IE9 and so revert to IE8 and this won't connect either .... but guess what ...

A. Firefox connects and no problemo
B. Firefox, IE9 and IE8 connect on my wired PC
C. Firefox and IE8 connect on my other wireless PC

Any other solutions or suggestions out there in the dark and hallowed Halls of Freeola :¬)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.