GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] The Sims 3 Review/Rant"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'The Sims 3'.
Fri 21/09/12 at 07:05
Regular
(warning: review may get a little rant-y from here out)

So, I'm a big fan of the Sims. The games are awesome, and always are well put together. The only thing I really don't like about the Sims, specifically the Sims 3, are the expansion packs...

So, you guys complain about the stupidity that is DLC, well before DLC, there was a little thing called expansion packs. Although a little bigger than most DLC, they are also more expensive, as they used to be packaged in their own little box, with its own CD and manual, and nothing but a little tag in the corner saying 'needs original game to play' Nobody does this better (or worse) than the Sims franchise.

I can forgive them for doing it with the Sims 1. I mean, you start with a concept, and then you realize what you could add, and since at that time DLC was non existent, since Internet was hardly good enough at the time, they had to package it individually.

But for the Sims 2 and 3, man, they are seriously stealing your money. What is preventing them from coding in all the added features from Sims 1 into its sequels from the get go? Nothing except for corporate greed. I'm no conspirator, but seriously, it's really obvious...

I took a look at the Sims 3 on steam, The game itself is around 40 dollars. Not bad, but then every expansion ranges between 20 and 30 dollars, the sum total of all DLC/Expansions being 300 DOLLARS. Spread out, this sum would be fine, but who would buy the game plus 300 dollars worth of DLC at once? Due to updates, the game pretty much expects you to buy the expansions to catch up, basically building the framework for expansions around the core game, despite you not having any. For instance, I see that a new feature, say, tattoos, are added to the game in a seemingly free update. I say 'cool, my sims can have tattoos now!' but when i press it, i see an almost empty box, sometimes saying 'requires the expansion pack ...... to play."

I, along with many others, am completely frustrated at EA's arrogance and ignorance to the fan's wishes. They already ruined Need for Speed with the whole 'autolog' nonsense, the up and coming 'most wanted' remake having seemingly NO story whatsoever, which is, in my opinion, the best part of the original game. They are straying too close to ruining their best franchises, and their best developers, by these mandatory, and stupid additions to the games.

I'm going to stop here. I just wish people will realize that EA's gone down the drain, one good franchise at a time. If you'd like, reply to me. I'd love to hear your opinions as well.
Fri 21/09/12 at 13:23
Regular
"How Ironic"
I disagree on one thing. I don't think EA make expansions that they expect everyone to buy. The reason the range is so broad is so that you can pick and choose what you want in your specific gameworld. For example, if somebody is an animal lover, you'd know they'd like The Sims Pets. It's actually a clever way to do things, because EA are offering a very nice range of different game environments as well as different gameplay while still making money and not targeting a specific market. They can cover whatever they hell they want with a new expansion, and it's up to the consumer.
Fri 21/09/12 at 12:41
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Obviously a discussion that raged on here for some time with regard to DLC and expansions, and I believe I made a few points using the Sims as examples.

I have no issue with theSims 3 and the way it's sold. In fact, I LOVE it; I've gained many a quiet moment from buying my wife a new expansion for her game (if she reads this, i'm getting no tea!) and I consider each and every expansion as worth every penny. I think to be honest that the sheer amount of new content and gameplay that gets added with a new expansion should be enough to justify the production of an extra disc, especially when i see my wife spend hours and hours playing the game with fresh eyes, just as if it were a new game entirely.

Let's be honest here. it all comes down to good business sense. You don't give a cart away with every horse you sell, especially if you can make twice the profit by selling the cart as an extra. I seriously think that there is some kind of mental block with people when it comes to games, and that it's almost impossible to accept the fact that we ARE talking about making a profit, the core factor of any successful business. Sure, I would think it was great to be able to pick up all of the Sims 3 content for £30, but then I would think it even better if I could get the whole lot for £5. This, of course, doesn't mean that it would be the "right thing to do".

If it's value for money, then it's all good. My wife loves the Sims, she plays it to death, and for five or six years, Christmas and birthdays are easy as there is always a new addon I can get for her. I'm happy enough to pay £30 for a game with 25 or 30 hours' gameplay in it, the Sims has kept her busy for years...
Fri 21/09/12 at 07:05
Regular
(warning: review may get a little rant-y from here out)

So, I'm a big fan of the Sims. The games are awesome, and always are well put together. The only thing I really don't like about the Sims, specifically the Sims 3, are the expansion packs...

So, you guys complain about the stupidity that is DLC, well before DLC, there was a little thing called expansion packs. Although a little bigger than most DLC, they are also more expensive, as they used to be packaged in their own little box, with its own CD and manual, and nothing but a little tag in the corner saying 'needs original game to play' Nobody does this better (or worse) than the Sims franchise.

I can forgive them for doing it with the Sims 1. I mean, you start with a concept, and then you realize what you could add, and since at that time DLC was non existent, since Internet was hardly good enough at the time, they had to package it individually.

But for the Sims 2 and 3, man, they are seriously stealing your money. What is preventing them from coding in all the added features from Sims 1 into its sequels from the get go? Nothing except for corporate greed. I'm no conspirator, but seriously, it's really obvious...

I took a look at the Sims 3 on steam, The game itself is around 40 dollars. Not bad, but then every expansion ranges between 20 and 30 dollars, the sum total of all DLC/Expansions being 300 DOLLARS. Spread out, this sum would be fine, but who would buy the game plus 300 dollars worth of DLC at once? Due to updates, the game pretty much expects you to buy the expansions to catch up, basically building the framework for expansions around the core game, despite you not having any. For instance, I see that a new feature, say, tattoos, are added to the game in a seemingly free update. I say 'cool, my sims can have tattoos now!' but when i press it, i see an almost empty box, sometimes saying 'requires the expansion pack ...... to play."

I, along with many others, am completely frustrated at EA's arrogance and ignorance to the fan's wishes. They already ruined Need for Speed with the whole 'autolog' nonsense, the up and coming 'most wanted' remake having seemingly NO story whatsoever, which is, in my opinion, the best part of the original game. They are straying too close to ruining their best franchises, and their best developers, by these mandatory, and stupid additions to the games.

I'm going to stop here. I just wish people will realize that EA's gone down the drain, one good franchise at a time. If you'd like, reply to me. I'd love to hear your opinions as well.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.