GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Binding of Isaac Review"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'The Binding of Isaac'.
Wed 19/09/12 at 13:56
Regular
First off: The Binding of Isaac is not a game for everyone. It has a minimalistic style that not everyone will appreciate, it is very hard, and you will die numerous times. It also features a very religious undertone which some people will not at all like.
However, this is my review, so I'll discard all of those things.

The Binding of Isaac, essentially, is a rogue-like isometric shooter. You play as the titular character Isaac (or an unlockable character) and you go through a series of rooms and defeat various creatures and bosses. The largest draw to the game, in my opinion, is the complete randomness of the game. The game is very unpredictable, and as you continue playing more and more times, the larger the game seems to get. There are hundreds of different upgrades to the character that can be earned, as well as numerous bosses and enemies.

The gameplay is also good. It is very simplistic. The WASD keys are used to move the character, and the arrow keys are used to shoot the projectiles. The cool thing, though, is that the projectiles are affected by momentum. If you move your character sideways while shooting up, the bullets will curve the direction you're moving, meaning some very tricky shots can be pulled off if you're good enough at the game.

The graphics, as I said before, are minimalistic, but very good. The game is programmed using Flash, which means the game uses sprites instead of proper 3D objects, but the quality of the art is astounding. The creatures look very creepy, as does the rest of the game, and there is a lot of variety in them. Isaac himself is rather plain, but can be customized with items. Items, in this game, don't only affect stats and give powers, but also change the look of the character when equipped.

The game also has a very dark sense of humor. Adding to the randomness of the game, some items, mostly pills, can take from you instead of give. There is a heavy emphasis on luck, chance and randomness in this game. There is always the potential of having a 'bad run,' playing the game and only getting bad items. Some items are also useless. I remember one pill in the game doesn't do anything to you, but simply makes you look retarded, a caption stating 'you found pills and ate them.' Completely random, unexpected, and funny.

Probably the biggest drawback from the game is the very controversial and potentially offensive story of the game. The story is based off the story of Abraham's calling to sacrifice his son Isaac, but here, instead of Abraham, it's Isaac's mother, who is crazed with a desire to kill her son (supposedly a message from God) This could offend some people, as the game itself is begging for controversy, but I choose to ignore the themes, and simply have fun playing the awesome game.

Although I myself enjoy the game, I will say 'Try before you buy.' There is a demo on Newgrounds.com, and you can also find it in other places, but for the cheap price of $5, it won't be too much of a waste to buy it if you have money to spare.
Thu 20/09/12 at 20:38
Regular
"How Ironic"
I can confirm that it is the same person :-)

Great review and welcome to the forums.
Thu 20/09/12 at 14:25
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Seems like we might have another user who can write a decent review.

Nice work!
Wed 19/09/12 at 15:19
Regular
"How Ironic"
Hi there,

I've left a comment on your blog. If you could reply to it using the blogs account, I'll be able to know that this isn't just copied from that blog.

Thanks.
Wed 19/09/12 at 13:56
Regular
First off: The Binding of Isaac is not a game for everyone. It has a minimalistic style that not everyone will appreciate, it is very hard, and you will die numerous times. It also features a very religious undertone which some people will not at all like.
However, this is my review, so I'll discard all of those things.

The Binding of Isaac, essentially, is a rogue-like isometric shooter. You play as the titular character Isaac (or an unlockable character) and you go through a series of rooms and defeat various creatures and bosses. The largest draw to the game, in my opinion, is the complete randomness of the game. The game is very unpredictable, and as you continue playing more and more times, the larger the game seems to get. There are hundreds of different upgrades to the character that can be earned, as well as numerous bosses and enemies.

The gameplay is also good. It is very simplistic. The WASD keys are used to move the character, and the arrow keys are used to shoot the projectiles. The cool thing, though, is that the projectiles are affected by momentum. If you move your character sideways while shooting up, the bullets will curve the direction you're moving, meaning some very tricky shots can be pulled off if you're good enough at the game.

The graphics, as I said before, are minimalistic, but very good. The game is programmed using Flash, which means the game uses sprites instead of proper 3D objects, but the quality of the art is astounding. The creatures look very creepy, as does the rest of the game, and there is a lot of variety in them. Isaac himself is rather plain, but can be customized with items. Items, in this game, don't only affect stats and give powers, but also change the look of the character when equipped.

The game also has a very dark sense of humor. Adding to the randomness of the game, some items, mostly pills, can take from you instead of give. There is a heavy emphasis on luck, chance and randomness in this game. There is always the potential of having a 'bad run,' playing the game and only getting bad items. Some items are also useless. I remember one pill in the game doesn't do anything to you, but simply makes you look retarded, a caption stating 'you found pills and ate them.' Completely random, unexpected, and funny.

Probably the biggest drawback from the game is the very controversial and potentially offensive story of the game. The story is based off the story of Abraham's calling to sacrifice his son Isaac, but here, instead of Abraham, it's Isaac's mother, who is crazed with a desire to kill her son (supposedly a message from God) This could offend some people, as the game itself is begging for controversy, but I choose to ignore the themes, and simply have fun playing the awesome game.

Although I myself enjoy the game, I will say 'Try before you buy.' There is a demo on Newgrounds.com, and you can also find it in other places, but for the cheap price of $5, it won't be too much of a waste to buy it if you have money to spare.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.