GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Doctor Who Series 7"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 02/09/12 at 23:14
Regular
Argh - I've not been on here for what seems like ages! So I thought I'd come back with something that has atleast a hint of quality to it...

So here's my thoughts on the first episode of the new Doctor Who series: Asylum of the Daleks:

<Likely to contain spoilers>

After many many months following the series 6 finale, Matt Smith has returned for his role as the eleventh Doctor in a series opener to beat all series openers. Written by chief Doctor Who writer, Stephen Moffat, no punches were spared in this Skaro-shattering episode, Asylum of the Daleks is an assertion of the Doctor’s presence on national TV and the epic writing and direction matches any science-fiction movie in both presence and quality.

In this episode, The Doctor answers a distress call aimed to lure him to the Dalek fleet. Capturing Amy and Rory Pond to assist him, The Daleks require The Doctor to solve the problem of a mysterious transmission coming from a planet that is comparable with Batman’s Arkham. The planet is a madhouse designed to store those that the Daleks respect from their battle-scarred. Those that survived battles (mostly those lost to the Doctor) but weren’t fit enough to continue their purpose, they were housed to keep the beauty of their hatred alive.

The transmission, interestingly, comes from Oswin Oswald, a crewmember of a crashed spaceship that has survived on the planet for a year. She broadcasts the Habanera from Carmen, a recording that the Doctor remarks he contributed to by playing the triangle. The Daleks do not understand this and feel that the Asylum has become a threat to themselves and the universe. The Doctor, forced into an impossible position by the Daleks, agrees to go to the planet, attempt to save Oswin and obviously escape from the Daleks. What was a very pleasant and interesting suprise is that Oswin was played by Jenna Louse Coleman, who is joining the show in the Christmas special as the next companion following what is set to be a great tragedy for Rory and Amy. Thankfully, the press kept this pleasant suprise quiet which I’m sure caused many a raised eye-brow from Whovians around the world.

Asylum of the Daleks does what many previous episodes haven’t: They have reminded me of my childhood. When I was in my pre-teen years I used to love watching the repeats of the Dalek episodes, and mainly remember the Pertwee years. Despite the lesser effects and lack of orchestral-soundtrack, I remember the Daleks being terrifying. Not necessarily to look at, but their manners, behaviours, beliefs and their organised destruction of life made them the Doctor’s most memorable alien foes.

When Rory was creeping around the asylum where the Daleks were laying dormant, or the Doctor was backed into a corner by the crowd of his greatest enemies, I really felt drawn into the episode wanting to blink less than an encounter with the Weeping Angels. The tension built up throughout this episode is intense right up until the end where the Doctor inevitably makes his escape from right in the middle of the Dalek flagship.

As always, we cannot have an episode of Doctor Who without the quirkiness and humour that The Doctor always brings us. From asking the question about how Oswin gets her milk to bake sufflés, and Rory’s first encounter with the awakening Daleks..”Eggs….eggs….eggs-terrrrr-minnnn-ate”. But this never detracts from the intensity of series seven’s opening episode.

I do have a couple of minor criticisms however. The episode follows a series of shorts called Pond Life, made a a teaser for the series. These feature Amy and Rory and the Doctor’s brief passing encounters. Each one took place in one of the five months leading to September, and it seemed to be only the final one that showed a very quick demise in Amy and Rory’s relationship. This seemed very unbelievable following the last two series’ building story, but redeemed by a very obvious, but necessary repair of the relationship during the Dalek’s assualt on the asylum. This seemingly was needed to mention the one weakness in the relationship, Amy’s inability to have children due to the events that took place around the birth of Melody Pond. I’m sure this will have a lot to do with the ongoing story that will likely close before Christmas 2012.

A potentially minor plothole is that of the Dalek’s nano-bots used to turn aliens into empty dalek drone agents. The nano-cloud in the atmosphere of the Dalek asylum have inhabited Amy, yet remembering her love for Rory has kept them dormant. We don’t seem to have (yet) had any mention of whether or not Amy is now clear of these. And the nano-bots could surely be used as a weapon against the humans should the Daleks attack Earth again. My thoughts are that they, with the exception of those that infected Amy, will have been destroyed in the destruction of the asylum, but will be a part of the Amy/Rory tragedy story.

Overall, I think Asylum of the Dalek’s is one of the best written, produced and acted episodes of the modern era of Doctor Who. Some clever plot-twists (some of which I’ve not mentioned to keep some elements un-spoiled) and fantastic Dalek suspense have made a statement that almost 50 years since its creation, the series is the strongest it has ever been and is here to stay.

Onwards to Dinosaurs on a spaceship!
Wed 12/09/12 at 20:45
Regular
To be fair, I typed it as an inexperienced TV show review rather than like a games review (which I'm a lot more comfortable at doing) - so yep genocide was the main reason.

As for the big game hunter - I thought I mentioned it was Rory's father that was picked up by accident? Then again, how I interpret my own writing is going to be bias to how my mind was thinking when I typed it :)

My reviewing-problem with TV is I like to take it as how I see it - sometimes points missed will be my fault - other times it will be that of the showmakers - either way its my enjoyment (or occasionally lack of) I like to try and convey the most.

I haven't seen many of the older doctors (Pertwee stands out in memory the most for me) but I agree he is showing a clearly darker side and that along with the "Who?" theme is becomming noticable in just 2 episodes. It may even peak with the 50th anniversary if they do a 2-season arc with it - bring in some classic doctors if we're lucky?

Am looking forward to seeing what happens next with the Ponds though.
Mon 10/09/12 at 23:31
"possibly impossible"
Oh, and I don't think the Doctor does anything accidentally, there are hints that he knows what's coming most of the time (bring a big game hunter on a Spaceship full of dinosaurs?)

I'm pretty sure that's one of the things Moffat insists on.

Having Mitchell and Webb do the robot voices was genius too. It could have gone horribly wrong but it worked well.
Mon 10/09/12 at 23:20
"possibly impossible"
Thought it was the fact that he committed genocide that really got the Doctor plotting Solomon's doom.

It's very much in the style of the 7th Doctor, who was moving to a darker character with a mysterious past that hinted at huge unseen power, seem familiar?

I think it's all moving towards some sort of reveal (Doctor 'who'?).
Mon 10/09/12 at 21:55
Regular
The Doctor did give him a chance - but not like he normally does. This time he was faced with an evil greed that the Doctor knew he couldn't change. He saw that Solomon was using lethal violence to control others, and that wasn't going to change - not to mention he intended leaving the Doctor and his gang to die with the dinosaurs on the ship whilst he made his escape with Queen Nefertiti.

All he did was show Solomon the same regard that he was shown by him. And whilst I admit this is darker, I wouldn't feel this entirely out of character for the Doctor after seeing how Solomon really valued other life forms.

I reviewed this episode on my own little geeky blog - will contain spoilers for those that haven't seen it:

When you’re a young child in 2012 there are currently two things that are of the coolest subjects in the world. Doctor Who and dinosaurs. However, unless you look at reptillian races, or dinosaur-like monsters it’s unlikely that you would see the two on the same screen…until now.

In this suprisingly star-studded episode, the Doctor is carrying on with his adventurous life, almost forgetting the Ponds as he explores ancient egypt he receives a distress call from a future Earth requesting his assistance in dealing with a not-so-alien spacecraft on a crash course for the planet.

Not quite knowing what he is up against, the Doctor enlists Queen Nefertiti (Rhian Steele) and English big-game hunter John Riddell (Rupert Graves) as well as the Ponds. Materialising around the Ponds he accidentally also enlists the help of Brian, Rory’s father (comedian and Harry Potter actor Mark Williams) who has a fear of travelling.

The ship is an old Silurian craft on a set course – it took species from Earth in the form of a space-ark to try and preserve them – notably Dinosaurs. However, the Doctor soon discovers that the Silurians have been killed at the hands of space-pirate Solomon (also Harry Potter actor David Bradley) who has taken the craft due to its high-value cargo. He is protected by two robots played by the very funny comedians Mitchell and Webb who would rather put the Doctor on the naughty step than exterminate all life.

Following the epic Asylum of the Daleks, Dinosaurs on a Spaceship illustrates the ongoing issues between the Ponds and the Doctor. Amy points out that it’s been ten months since their last adventure and fears that the Doctor may never return. Rory even vents some minor frustration stating the Doctor should have called first. The Ponds are pleased to be able to go on another adventure with the raggedy Doctor, but it is intentionally obvious something big is coming before we are introduced to the new assitant in the Christmas special.

Movie-like visuals make this jurassic ark a nice little tale. Once again the Doctor Who visual effects department have done a wonderful job, and the comedic touches from almost all actors dispell the dangers the gang face. But the darkness of the Doctor, as seen in Asylum of the Daleks, resurfaces again as the Doctor’s anger makes him turn to the dark side and intentionally, yet indirectly, cause the death of Solomon and his robot aiders. The Doctor seems less about giving the bad guys a chance to surrender, and more of the Doctor showing his disgust at those who do wrong in the name of selfish greed or power. Maybe his new assistant, or the upcoming tragedy involving the ponds will be enough to ground him again.

I haven’t mentioned much about the dinosaurs, Brian, Queen Nefertiti or John Riddell. There’s a great bit of chemistry between Nefertiti and Riddell as the story progresses. Both characters displaying a superiority complex as their backgrounds dictate, but soon growing to respect each other, just as the Doctor likes. But the nicest touch was Brian, who the Doctor referred to as a Pond, who had never travelled further than the golf club, had to cope with being in the future, in space and surrounded by dinosaurs. He adapts to the Doctor’s ways very quickly and forms a bond with a triceratops even managing to steer it in a comedic escape from Solomon’s robots. But it’s the scene where he sits on the doorstep of the Tardis overlooking planet Earth whilst drinking a cup of tea. There’s something very British about that scene that I’m afraid American TV couldn’t emulate with an American actor and a polystyrene Starbucks cup.

This was again another great episode of Doctor Who and following the teaser for next week’s western I’m sure the series will continue with the same great quality that we’re growing accustomed to in 2012.
Sun 09/09/12 at 06:17
Regular
A good episode, but did the Doctor just execute someone? It seemed a bit out of character. Could he have not saved him and found another way to punish him for his crimes?
Mon 03/09/12 at 23:11
Regular
The biggest flaw I have with the Ayslum is that it exists at all - it has already been established that inferior Daleks are not tolerated.

And it was today pointed out to me that the Dalek models they used for the veterans were the same used for the other more modern Daleks - which would mean either they were referring to the creature inside, or were just lazy (production costs, etc)

I would have liked to see some extra scenes regarding Skaro too - as you say could have easily been a 2-parter (may have made more sense to have had a buildup regarding the Amy/Rory relationship breakdown)

As for Oswin's voice - I believe you're right about the subconcious transmission - just like the habenara.

I reckon Oswin will either be a twin/other relative or clone. I find it unlikely that she would be the future of the next companion as the paradoxical issues involved would make the tardis implode...unless we have a repeat of the River Song story (which I hope we don't - as we don't need that over and over again)

It's inspired me to see more of the old Dalek episodes again - there were so many I didn't see.
Mon 03/09/12 at 13:13
"possibly impossible"
It was a good episode, but I thought that it could easily have been expanded to 2 episodes. We should have had more focus on the 'famous' daleks and their factions. How did all those different Daleks get in to the same room without fighting?

Also, it would have been nice to flesh out the Daleks from past adventures a little, the ones from Spiridon etc could have at least mentioned something about it.

The other plot hole is how could Rory, Amy and The Doctor all hear Oswin's real voice, but I guess it could be that she hacked that as well subconsciously.

It will be interesting to see how the new companion is related to Oswin in this story, is it a future version of her, a relative from the future or a clone or something?
Sun 02/09/12 at 23:14
Regular
Argh - I've not been on here for what seems like ages! So I thought I'd come back with something that has atleast a hint of quality to it...

So here's my thoughts on the first episode of the new Doctor Who series: Asylum of the Daleks:

<Likely to contain spoilers>

After many many months following the series 6 finale, Matt Smith has returned for his role as the eleventh Doctor in a series opener to beat all series openers. Written by chief Doctor Who writer, Stephen Moffat, no punches were spared in this Skaro-shattering episode, Asylum of the Daleks is an assertion of the Doctor’s presence on national TV and the epic writing and direction matches any science-fiction movie in both presence and quality.

In this episode, The Doctor answers a distress call aimed to lure him to the Dalek fleet. Capturing Amy and Rory Pond to assist him, The Daleks require The Doctor to solve the problem of a mysterious transmission coming from a planet that is comparable with Batman’s Arkham. The planet is a madhouse designed to store those that the Daleks respect from their battle-scarred. Those that survived battles (mostly those lost to the Doctor) but weren’t fit enough to continue their purpose, they were housed to keep the beauty of their hatred alive.

The transmission, interestingly, comes from Oswin Oswald, a crewmember of a crashed spaceship that has survived on the planet for a year. She broadcasts the Habanera from Carmen, a recording that the Doctor remarks he contributed to by playing the triangle. The Daleks do not understand this and feel that the Asylum has become a threat to themselves and the universe. The Doctor, forced into an impossible position by the Daleks, agrees to go to the planet, attempt to save Oswin and obviously escape from the Daleks. What was a very pleasant and interesting suprise is that Oswin was played by Jenna Louse Coleman, who is joining the show in the Christmas special as the next companion following what is set to be a great tragedy for Rory and Amy. Thankfully, the press kept this pleasant suprise quiet which I’m sure caused many a raised eye-brow from Whovians around the world.

Asylum of the Daleks does what many previous episodes haven’t: They have reminded me of my childhood. When I was in my pre-teen years I used to love watching the repeats of the Dalek episodes, and mainly remember the Pertwee years. Despite the lesser effects and lack of orchestral-soundtrack, I remember the Daleks being terrifying. Not necessarily to look at, but their manners, behaviours, beliefs and their organised destruction of life made them the Doctor’s most memorable alien foes.

When Rory was creeping around the asylum where the Daleks were laying dormant, or the Doctor was backed into a corner by the crowd of his greatest enemies, I really felt drawn into the episode wanting to blink less than an encounter with the Weeping Angels. The tension built up throughout this episode is intense right up until the end where the Doctor inevitably makes his escape from right in the middle of the Dalek flagship.

As always, we cannot have an episode of Doctor Who without the quirkiness and humour that The Doctor always brings us. From asking the question about how Oswin gets her milk to bake sufflés, and Rory’s first encounter with the awakening Daleks..”Eggs….eggs….eggs-terrrrr-minnnn-ate”. But this never detracts from the intensity of series seven’s opening episode.

I do have a couple of minor criticisms however. The episode follows a series of shorts called Pond Life, made a a teaser for the series. These feature Amy and Rory and the Doctor’s brief passing encounters. Each one took place in one of the five months leading to September, and it seemed to be only the final one that showed a very quick demise in Amy and Rory’s relationship. This seemed very unbelievable following the last two series’ building story, but redeemed by a very obvious, but necessary repair of the relationship during the Dalek’s assualt on the asylum. This seemingly was needed to mention the one weakness in the relationship, Amy’s inability to have children due to the events that took place around the birth of Melody Pond. I’m sure this will have a lot to do with the ongoing story that will likely close before Christmas 2012.

A potentially minor plothole is that of the Dalek’s nano-bots used to turn aliens into empty dalek drone agents. The nano-cloud in the atmosphere of the Dalek asylum have inhabited Amy, yet remembering her love for Rory has kept them dormant. We don’t seem to have (yet) had any mention of whether or not Amy is now clear of these. And the nano-bots could surely be used as a weapon against the humans should the Daleks attack Earth again. My thoughts are that they, with the exception of those that infected Amy, will have been destroyed in the destruction of the asylum, but will be a part of the Amy/Rory tragedy story.

Overall, I think Asylum of the Dalek’s is one of the best written, produced and acted episodes of the modern era of Doctor Who. Some clever plot-twists (some of which I’ve not mentioned to keep some elements un-spoiled) and fantastic Dalek suspense have made a statement that almost 50 years since its creation, the series is the strongest it has ever been and is here to stay.

Onwards to Dinosaurs on a spaceship!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.