GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"BB connection"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 31/08/12 at 13:30
Regular
Anyone know the cause of this:-

If i plug a telephone into my line my SNR drops through the floor on reading gave me 0.0

If i pick up the phone and make a call it jumps over 12.x

when i unplug it i get 6.x

I have contacted BT a week last Tuesday and reported line noise they have done there checks and suprise, suprise good old BT can't find a fault.

using 17070 opt 2

I still have line noise all though not as bad.

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin: 6.5 4.6 db
Line Attenuation: 70.0 41.0 db
Data Rate: 837 593 kbps
Max Rate: 1872 572 kbps
POWER: 0.0 12.3 dbm
CRC: 443 65362

These are the details that i have from my router page.

According to same knows i live 2.1km from the exchange in a direct line.

Although i know my line is actually at least 4-5 miles long as i have a golf course between my house and the exchange so the cables run along the road side.
Sat 01/09/12 at 13:22
Regular
Yeah and we only went as far as to ensure EU was in test socket change filter e.t.c. and then passed to the next tier.
Sat 01/09/12 at 13:11
"Are you sure?"
Neil_948 wrote:
that's one i've never heard of thanks i'll try that shortly.

It was only S*Y support you worked for! ;¬)

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sat 01/09/12 at 12:13
Regular
Yeah i worked out last night the dates and all my bb issues started at the same time as BT terminated there bb signals. Not when i first came to Freeola.
Sat 01/09/12 at 11:31
Regular
that's one i've never heard of thanks i'll try that shortly.
Sat 01/09/12 at 10:11
"Are you sure?"
This highlights how bad the situation with getting broadband faults resolved can be when someone that worked in support has problems :¬(

BT's monopoly/bullyboy tactics stink.

Have you tried just plugging your router directly into the TEST socket without a phone plugged in. As you will know you don't even need a filter to do this test as long as you have a BT>RJ11 lead.

Then phone your landline number from a mobile and monitor the SNRM. If it's still all over the place and this can be repeated with an alternate router then surely you will be safe escalating the fault as you've proved it isn't 'your end' (assuming the Master Socket is correctly wired)?

[s]Hmmm...[/s]

EDIT: If you aren't already using this or something similar I can highly recommend running RouterStats free software to monitor all aspects of your line! :¬)
Sat 01/09/12 at 08:41
Regular
Yeah i'll keep reporting it to them i'm having no end of trouble with them at the minute so will probably get it sorted out in 6 months or so lol
Fri 31/08/12 at 23:48
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
If you're still getting noise on 17070 with no router connection then you have a PSTN fault of some sort so you need to take this up with you line provider.
FTTC uses separate cabinets to where you line will connect and lines are just bridged across from the current cabinet to the new one. You are not connected to the new cabinet DSLAM until you order FTTC so it's unlikely (but not impossible) that the upgrades have caused this.
If you rent your line from BT Retail then you need to call them on 150 and mention intermittent noise on the line but do not mention anything to do with broadband (if you do then they will more than likely just tell you to contact us again).
Fri 31/08/12 at 19:28
Regular
this issue seems to be present at times and affects different sections at these times i will monitor it over the weekend and then decide what to do next week.
Fri 31/08/12 at 18:28
Regular
oh and yes i've tested the line with the bb switched off aswell still line noise there
Fri 31/08/12 at 18:15
Regular
Yeah done all that, I used to work for sky BB tech help tier2 so when it comes to test socket, Filters, Extensions, e.t.c.

I know what to do, (not meaning any malace btw just giving you some back ground on me)
only thing i could possibly put it down to if it's a possibility that bt is putting in new Dslam's in my area ready for infinity going live in the area on 30/09/2012.

Spoken to freeola they've said my line tests fine BT says there tests are fine i've tried different handsets on the line same result.

Changed microfilter 5 times even used a brand new one still the same.

sorted it's self out for 90 mins this aft then just come to check it again and back to the same constant fluctuation on the SNR.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.