GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Lance Armstrong: GOAT or cheat?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 24/08/12 at 08:23
Regular
"I like turtles"
Been reading the statement from Lance Armstrong this morning. All seems a bit suspect to me, surely if there was any truth in this he would not slipped under the radar over such a long and extremely successful career?

Apparently he is now to be stripped of all 7 of his TDF titles and they will be handed to whoever finished behind him (providing they are proven to be clean).

If he really is innocent but just tired of trying to fight these ''nonsense'' allegations then is this not making the world of road cycling a total joke?

Shouldn't these allegations really needed to have been dealt with at the time of these events, not years later and is this now going to open the floodgates for sportsmen to now say someone who beat me years ago was a dirty cheating druggie, give me their title unless they can prove they were not?

What do you guys reckon of Mr. Armstrong, GOAT or cheat?
Fri 24/08/12 at 08:23
Regular
"I like turtles"
Been reading the statement from Lance Armstrong this morning. All seems a bit suspect to me, surely if there was any truth in this he would not slipped under the radar over such a long and extremely successful career?

Apparently he is now to be stripped of all 7 of his TDF titles and they will be handed to whoever finished behind him (providing they are proven to be clean).

If he really is innocent but just tired of trying to fight these ''nonsense'' allegations then is this not making the world of road cycling a total joke?

Shouldn't these allegations really needed to have been dealt with at the time of these events, not years later and is this now going to open the floodgates for sportsmen to now say someone who beat me years ago was a dirty cheating druggie, give me their title unless they can prove they were not?

What do you guys reckon of Mr. Armstrong, GOAT or cheat?
Fri 24/08/12 at 09:51
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
End of the day I'm forced to think that something so important could simply be 'given up' as such if there was no grounds at all.

If all evidence proves he was not taking enhancers, then that should be the end of it. No governing body is going to ignore/dispute proof of that caliber, and are an absolute joke if they do.
Fri 24/08/12 at 10:56
"possibly impossible"
There are several things that muddy the water here.

Some cyclists who have connections to the families responsible for the doping tests don't seem to have ever been tested.

However, on the other side there are members of Armstrongs team who have tried to speak out about doping in the team and have allegedly been silenced or removed from the team.

Also, winning that many times in a row in an event that can have so many things going wrong AND all after coming back from cancer?
Fri 24/08/12 at 11:32
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Wow, cynical much? Usain Bolt must be on drugs. Phelps...ha... ACID. (Tongue in cheek here obv)

I know, i know. It is incredible circumstances, but he has passed several tests.

So for your view to be correct:

Multiple governing bodies (cycling) are corrupt.
Multiple drug testing companies are corrupt.
Multiple governing bodies (drug testing) are corrupt.
Multiple cyclists are too afraid to speak out and provide evidence.
Multiple event holders are corrupt.
At least one cycle team management crew are corrupt.

It just doesn't seem 'right'. Lie detector test for me...
Fri 24/08/12 at 13:03
Regular
"I like turtles"
If there is any truth in this allegation and Lance Armstrong did indeed manage to cheat his way through his long and illustrious career, then surely he deserves some recognition for managing such an incredible feat!

Maybe when competing Lance Armstrong was just a very highly driven sportsman who refused to let anything stand in the way of succeeding in his sport? Anyone who achieved the level of success he did will always be put under scrutiny. But if these allegations were not proven at the time when Armstrong achieved this incredible success then I find it hard to see how he can be stripped of his titles years later, especially as there appears to be no evidence to prove this allegation (other than pb's post!!!).

''Also, winning that many times in a row in an event''

Pete Sampras at Wimbledon???
Fri 24/08/12 at 13:37
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
One example springs to mind, Marion Jones. An athlete that seems to have spent most of her career taking drugs and wasnt detected until years later. The truth is, in the time period we're talking about if Lance Armstrong wanted to take drugs then he probably could have done so and remained undetected. Drugs tests are only effective if they know what they are looking for. And its been proved in the last 5-10 years there was alot they werent aware of.

That doesnt mean Lance Armstrong took drugs. It does mean you dont need widespread corruption in the sport for him to have done it.
Fri 24/08/12 at 13:41
"possibly impossible"
The point that he won that many times in a row isn't so much the issue, it;'s that this is a sport where there is usually so much change.

However, I'm not saying he's guilty or innocent, just that there are other pieces of information that need to be known in the meantime.

His own reasons for not wanting to fight the claims are partly because he says the system and body for doping tests is corrupt, he said that himself.

As far as I know, there's only one overall anti-doping group in charge of doing all the tests for the Tour.
Fri 24/08/12 at 14:27
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Hmmm garin makes a good point, it was some time ago. The testing would have improved greatly within the last x amount of years.

I mean, there has to be some justification for the accusations, but it just seems that innocent until proven guilty should be the thinking.

They can not prove he did anything wrong, and as such he should be cleared of wrongdoing or at least let him contest his accusers and their 'evidence'.

Also, going backto elaborate on pb's point. Is it that suprising that one person has dominated any sport? I've always wondered why it does not happen in all individual sports.

If one person is better at something than someone else, why does it work out that they do not win all the time. Obviously there are small margins, which can make a huge difference. A gust of wind unbalancing a rider for an extra second? That sort of thing.

More importantly though, why are people so suprised when this sort of repurcussion does occur?
Fri 24/08/12 at 14:35
"possibly impossible"
According to the story on Yahoo! News they do have evidence in old blood tests that they can now use.
Fri 24/08/12 at 14:50
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Yeah just adding to my limited knowledge of the situation via BBC.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.