GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Football Manager 2012"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Football Manager 2012'.
Thu 23/08/12 at 22:43
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
Football Manager 2012 Review

“He doesn't know what he's doing!”

“What's he thinking of with that substitution?!”

I'm sure many of us have heard the chuntering of football fans towards the apparent ineptitude of their club's current manager. From the corners of the local watering hole, to the playgrounds of the schools that still have playgrounds. Then there's the classical delusion:

“I could do a better job than him!”

This is where football management simulation games step in. To fill the void of the hypothetical; to prove (or disprove) the theories of a potentially drunk rambler who has consistently been overlooked for managerial posts in the past...and could probably, in fairness, at least do a better job than Steve Kean has at Blackburn.

I used to be a huge fan of football management simulation games, and I spent many months building my own managerial dynasty. As each subsequent game became more and more realistic, my success became less and less instant. When Football Manager 2009 came along, I made the decision to stop and concentrate on real life success.

But here we are, with the most recent iteration from Sports Interactive's juggernaut. I'm back in the hotseat, taking the plunge. Most importantly, approaching the game with slightly fresher eyes, I won't be constantly comparing this to an immediate predecessor.

Initially it can be difficult to see where the appeal is – everything is done by numbers. For newcomers, this can look either incredibly intimidating, or essentially a shiny spreadsheet. But fans of the series know there is so much more to it. A whole new continuity, a parallel universe where Havant & Waterlooville win the Champions League with yet to emerge stars after appointing a manager with no previous experience.

Inside is a game where you control nearly everything that isn't the result. Despite your overwhelming influence, there are no guarantees, and very little can be done to penetrate a goalkeeper on form or to stop a striker on fire...or just a bolt out of the blue. This is the essence of football, and it is captured in no virtual form quite like it is here.

So how does it work? Selecting active leagues (which can now be changed mid-save, which is a very useful addition), you create a manager who is to be placed into the world of professional football. Once you've selected a club, then it's time to get down to the job at hand.

As you'd expect, as a club manager, you'll be expected to do manageresque things. In the off-season, and during the transfer windows, it will be your responsibility, to keep your squad fresh. The squad reports have been revamped so that you can determine the need for players in positions that are not necessarily part of your main tactics, like in previous iterations (such as a sweeper for very defensive requirements). Scouting is also in depth, comparing the ability of the player versus all players in that position.

Making bids for players seems to be a lot more fair than it once was, with AI controlled teams seemingly allowing for offers in a more realistic area than in earlier editions that I have played. This allows for more realistic and “fair” transfer system, as well as the ability to potentially bring in more faces than had been possible before.

A fairly new inclusion is the addition of agents. Often part of real-life scandals, agents are there to negotiate contracts for their clients, if you get to that stage. Different agents have different personalities, so some are very difficult to deal with compared to others. Alternatively, there is the case that, especially in the lower leagues, that players will do it themselves. It's a much improved system from previous models where negotiations took place over several sessions, it is now done in a back-and-forth type manor. It's an additional layer of realism that can make transfers more difficult, but it is better this way.

There is a bigger emphasis on communication in Football Manager 2012. Staff members will often come to you requesting backroom staff meetings to suggest a variety of different things in attempts to improve the club. You can also speak to individual members of the team, explaining either extended absences, issuing complaints or just generally asking for advice. Alternatively, during poor spells, you can bring the entire team in in an attempt to rally, bringing the team together to improve morale.

The media also plays a prevalent role in the game, much like in the real world. Media conferences are called before matches, after matches and after big player signings. The media conferences can be fairly dull; whilst they do vary their questions on occasion, you will be faced with various different wordings of very similar questions week after week. But successful media conferences are, like the real world, important in squad morale, and potentially throwing the opposition off their with mind games like a virtual Alex Ferguson.

Once we get down to the nitty-gritty of the actual matchday, there is still a lot of tinkering to be done. Tactics have been revamped to be more mentality based, allowing fine tuning of roles above and beyond initial positioning. The classic style of tactics is still available for the old-style purists, but is probably a little more restrictive on the options. But don't think that your wacky 1-7-2 formation will be taken up by the team immediately, the team has a formation familiarity, so a massive change to a club's mentality may have initially disastrous results (see: Brendan Rogers).

With the team set-up, and the tactics perfected, it's time to take it to the pitch. There are two options for seeing your players in action. There's the 2D blob style, the classic for the low-powered machine – allows for seeing the basic action but lacks detail. The 3D style, the first time I've been able to view in 3D, is quite good. Granted, it doesn't the graphical fidelity of, say, FIFA, but it doesn't need to. It allows for a much more detailed viewing of the match, and a better analysis of what's going on, and what to change.

As it is, a manager will always be held accountable by both the fans and the board, and you can get an idea of how you are doing through the club confidence. This is where the fans and board get to rate signings and performances, both match by match and in overall competition. So it is essential to try and please everyone else, whilst keeping your players happy. It is this balancing act which makes football management incredibly difficult.

As is unavoidable in a game like this, you will see some results that will raise the eyebrows. For example, in my first season – a repeat of the 11/12 season – Bolton, who were relegated in real life, finished a few mere points behind Manchester City, and are now playing Champions League football in the current campaign. But with true realism, are you really going to be taking Dagenham & Redbridge to the Premiership? We'll call it artistic license.

It must be said that, with the extra agents, 3D view and more in-depth media coverage, the pace of the game does suffer slightly. This means that it's not really possible to get through seasons quite as quickly as it has been in the past. It feels a little more involved, but I can feel myself getting slightly frustrated with the lack of progress at times.

So it will frustrate, but it was also elate. Football Manager is as good as you can involve yourself in it. With many improvements over previous instalments, Football Manager 2012 is probably the definitive version so far. Yes, it plays a little slower than some of the earlier versions, and yes it can turn into a grind at times. But find a campaign that holds your involvement, and you will experience highs and lows like no other game can bring. You are almost in complete control, and that is what makes winning feel like such an achievement. This is absolutely the only game where John Terry will spontaneously change into his kit to celebrate Tranmere's Johnstone Paint Trophy win, guaranteed*. And for that, it has to come highly recommended.

Score: 8.5/10

*This is completely not a guarantee
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Thu 23/08/12 at 22:43
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
Football Manager 2012 Review

“He doesn't know what he's doing!”

“What's he thinking of with that substitution?!”

I'm sure many of us have heard the chuntering of football fans towards the apparent ineptitude of their club's current manager. From the corners of the local watering hole, to the playgrounds of the schools that still have playgrounds. Then there's the classical delusion:

“I could do a better job than him!”

This is where football management simulation games step in. To fill the void of the hypothetical; to prove (or disprove) the theories of a potentially drunk rambler who has consistently been overlooked for managerial posts in the past...and could probably, in fairness, at least do a better job than Steve Kean has at Blackburn.

I used to be a huge fan of football management simulation games, and I spent many months building my own managerial dynasty. As each subsequent game became more and more realistic, my success became less and less instant. When Football Manager 2009 came along, I made the decision to stop and concentrate on real life success.

But here we are, with the most recent iteration from Sports Interactive's juggernaut. I'm back in the hotseat, taking the plunge. Most importantly, approaching the game with slightly fresher eyes, I won't be constantly comparing this to an immediate predecessor.

Initially it can be difficult to see where the appeal is – everything is done by numbers. For newcomers, this can look either incredibly intimidating, or essentially a shiny spreadsheet. But fans of the series know there is so much more to it. A whole new continuity, a parallel universe where Havant & Waterlooville win the Champions League with yet to emerge stars after appointing a manager with no previous experience.

Inside is a game where you control nearly everything that isn't the result. Despite your overwhelming influence, there are no guarantees, and very little can be done to penetrate a goalkeeper on form or to stop a striker on fire...or just a bolt out of the blue. This is the essence of football, and it is captured in no virtual form quite like it is here.

So how does it work? Selecting active leagues (which can now be changed mid-save, which is a very useful addition), you create a manager who is to be placed into the world of professional football. Once you've selected a club, then it's time to get down to the job at hand.

As you'd expect, as a club manager, you'll be expected to do manageresque things. In the off-season, and during the transfer windows, it will be your responsibility, to keep your squad fresh. The squad reports have been revamped so that you can determine the need for players in positions that are not necessarily part of your main tactics, like in previous iterations (such as a sweeper for very defensive requirements). Scouting is also in depth, comparing the ability of the player versus all players in that position.

Making bids for players seems to be a lot more fair than it once was, with AI controlled teams seemingly allowing for offers in a more realistic area than in earlier editions that I have played. This allows for more realistic and “fair” transfer system, as well as the ability to potentially bring in more faces than had been possible before.

A fairly new inclusion is the addition of agents. Often part of real-life scandals, agents are there to negotiate contracts for their clients, if you get to that stage. Different agents have different personalities, so some are very difficult to deal with compared to others. Alternatively, there is the case that, especially in the lower leagues, that players will do it themselves. It's a much improved system from previous models where negotiations took place over several sessions, it is now done in a back-and-forth type manor. It's an additional layer of realism that can make transfers more difficult, but it is better this way.

There is a bigger emphasis on communication in Football Manager 2012. Staff members will often come to you requesting backroom staff meetings to suggest a variety of different things in attempts to improve the club. You can also speak to individual members of the team, explaining either extended absences, issuing complaints or just generally asking for advice. Alternatively, during poor spells, you can bring the entire team in in an attempt to rally, bringing the team together to improve morale.

The media also plays a prevalent role in the game, much like in the real world. Media conferences are called before matches, after matches and after big player signings. The media conferences can be fairly dull; whilst they do vary their questions on occasion, you will be faced with various different wordings of very similar questions week after week. But successful media conferences are, like the real world, important in squad morale, and potentially throwing the opposition off their with mind games like a virtual Alex Ferguson.

Once we get down to the nitty-gritty of the actual matchday, there is still a lot of tinkering to be done. Tactics have been revamped to be more mentality based, allowing fine tuning of roles above and beyond initial positioning. The classic style of tactics is still available for the old-style purists, but is probably a little more restrictive on the options. But don't think that your wacky 1-7-2 formation will be taken up by the team immediately, the team has a formation familiarity, so a massive change to a club's mentality may have initially disastrous results (see: Brendan Rogers).

With the team set-up, and the tactics perfected, it's time to take it to the pitch. There are two options for seeing your players in action. There's the 2D blob style, the classic for the low-powered machine – allows for seeing the basic action but lacks detail. The 3D style, the first time I've been able to view in 3D, is quite good. Granted, it doesn't the graphical fidelity of, say, FIFA, but it doesn't need to. It allows for a much more detailed viewing of the match, and a better analysis of what's going on, and what to change.

As it is, a manager will always be held accountable by both the fans and the board, and you can get an idea of how you are doing through the club confidence. This is where the fans and board get to rate signings and performances, both match by match and in overall competition. So it is essential to try and please everyone else, whilst keeping your players happy. It is this balancing act which makes football management incredibly difficult.

As is unavoidable in a game like this, you will see some results that will raise the eyebrows. For example, in my first season – a repeat of the 11/12 season – Bolton, who were relegated in real life, finished a few mere points behind Manchester City, and are now playing Champions League football in the current campaign. But with true realism, are you really going to be taking Dagenham & Redbridge to the Premiership? We'll call it artistic license.

It must be said that, with the extra agents, 3D view and more in-depth media coverage, the pace of the game does suffer slightly. This means that it's not really possible to get through seasons quite as quickly as it has been in the past. It feels a little more involved, but I can feel myself getting slightly frustrated with the lack of progress at times.

So it will frustrate, but it was also elate. Football Manager is as good as you can involve yourself in it. With many improvements over previous instalments, Football Manager 2012 is probably the definitive version so far. Yes, it plays a little slower than some of the earlier versions, and yes it can turn into a grind at times. But find a campaign that holds your involvement, and you will experience highs and lows like no other game can bring. You are almost in complete control, and that is what makes winning feel like such an achievement. This is absolutely the only game where John Terry will spontaneously change into his kit to celebrate Tranmere's Johnstone Paint Trophy win, guaranteed*. And for that, it has to come highly recommended.

Score: 8.5/10

*This is completely not a guarantee

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.