GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Spamming"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 16/08/12 at 14:39
Regular
I run another website through wordpress (Not my choice but heh ho)
Just wondered why people keep spam posting on it what is the idea behind it and why do it?

Not a big issue but I just wondered why?
Fri 17/08/12 at 14:57
Staff
"The Killer Techie"
Hmmm... wrote:
I've(we've!) lost a couple of Freeola customers recently as they went for another provider who offered this.

Generally we've not got too much of a problem doing a quick install of Wordpress (other packages you'd have to ask) for a customer if they need it, given that they've got the adequate hosting package.

Edit Disclaimer: Once installed we obviously can't take any further responsibility for things that may go wrong or how to use software packages. You can always try the Web Design guys for assistance though.

It's the continued updates that are difficult to automate, especially when third party extensions/plugins are used. Will have to wait to see what we come up with to solve this.
Thu 16/08/12 at 18:48
"Are you sure?"
motomod wrote:
As for automated installs, it's certainly something we're looking at.

That's good news motomod :¬)

Obviously a WordPress package would need to keep up with all the WordPress security updates etc. (and be a competitive price!).

I've(we've!) lost a couple of Freeola customers recently as they went for another provider who offered this.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 16/08/12 at 16:39
Staff
"The Killer Techie"
As Hmmm... said.

Akismet usually comes with Wordpress by default and is enabled, perhaps it needs updating? Must admit I'm not too familiar with it.

Otherwise there seem to be lots of other Anti-Spam plugins for WP.

As for automated installs, it's certainly something we're looking at.
Thu 16/08/12 at 15:51
"Are you sure?"
I guess for all the normal reasons people SPAM!

Either for financial gain, possibly for SEO reasons or could be malicious intent or just one of the many idiots on the lose!
Would need to see the type of spam to comment more.

WordPress is very popular these days - it would be great if Freeola provided a WordPress hosting/install option (with MySQL included) as I know a few other providers do :¬)

To stop WordPress spam I hear this plugin is very good: Akismet

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 16/08/12 at 14:39
Regular
I run another website through wordpress (Not my choice but heh ho)
Just wondered why people keep spam posting on it what is the idea behind it and why do it?

Not a big issue but I just wondered why?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.