GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is it worth..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Shenmue'.
Mon 09/12/02 at 14:52
Regular
....buying a DC just to play the Shenmue series?

I liked the look of this game back when it came out, but it was the only game on DC that ever interested me, needless to say i never bothered with it.

But now they can be picked up cheap, along with many other games, so im wondering whether to get one for these games.

So, any un-biased opinions, is it worth it just for this game?
Mon 09/12/02 at 14:52
Regular
"360: swfcman"
....buying a DC just to play the Shenmue series?

I liked the look of this game back when it came out, but it was the only game on DC that ever interested me, needless to say i never bothered with it.

But now they can be picked up cheap, along with many other games, so im wondering whether to get one for these games.

So, any un-biased opinions, is it worth it just for this game?
Mon 09/12/02 at 15:08
Regular
"An Evil Resident"
Im gonna try to be as unbiased as possible...

I currently own a PS1, N64, DC and a GC... now i bought my DC for £35 from Computer Exchange about 5 months ago and i also got Shenmue 1 the same day, now ive played alot of video games over the years but i must be honest and say that Shenmue is simply head and shoulders over any other game ive ever played, it really is that good and is also worth buying a DC for on its own (im sure others will agree with this)

Shenmue is not a small game but Shenmue 2 is 3 times bigger than the original...

Theres so many other fantastic DC games you could get in time too, games like... Soul Caliber (still the best fighter around, the Tekken series dosnt even come close) Crazy Taxi, Skies of Arcadia, Metropolis Street Racer, Sega Bass fishing (dont discount this game just cos its fishing... its really a superbly addictive game) Jet Set Radio, Resident Evil Code Veronica... theres so many reasons to buy a DC with prices as they are, i would say that anybody that enjoys video games really is missing out if they ignore this fantasictically under-rated console from Sega.

Whatever hype youve read about Shenmue, believe it, multiply it then buy it!!

Rabid.
Mon 09/12/02 at 15:20
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Definitley!!

Shenmue was the only reason I initially bought myself a Dreamcast in the summer - and I cannot say it hasn't been worth it!

When I got the console, I realised there were a few other games really worth getting too, and now I have a few DC games to play.
Problem is though, now that I've completed both Shenmue games (which have been fantastic, yet quite simple and easy), I barely play anything else - EVER - on my Dreamcast.

If you want to play the Shenmue games that badly - which you should - then you have to get a Dreamcast! They are worth it.
Mon 09/12/02 at 15:29
Regular
"360: swfcman"
Thanks for the replies! i was a bit sceptical to how long it would take for a reply in this forum. :D

Read a fair old few number of reviews, all confirming what you say, and there are a few other games that are starting to interest me, all cheap too.

Guess now its just a matter of looking for the best deals, or going second hand.

Thanks again.
Mon 09/12/02 at 21:32
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Definetly worth it, it's the only reason I've kept my Dreamcast.
Tue 10/12/02 at 12:47
Regular
"Not your monkey"
I was in the same boat you Pro Evo.

Got the console and, too be honest, play on it more than the other consoles I have.

Its brilliant.
Get MSR too (metropolis street racer). It can be picked up for a few quid on ebay etc. I have it with a steering wheel and its absolutely genius.
Tue 10/12/02 at 16:27
Regular
"bing bang bong"
I don't ultimately like Shenmue, although it is an astonishingly beautiful and original videogame. I can't recommend you buying a second hand DC enough, especially as they retail for less than PSOnes!
Tue 10/12/02 at 18:16
Regular
"I dressed myself !!"
Pro Evo wrote:
> Is it worth....buying a DC just to play the Shenmue series?

Yes. Nuff said.
Tue 10/12/02 at 20:03
Regular
"Formally:Ev][L~DarK"
Pro Evo wrote:
> Thanks for the replies! i was a bit sceptical to how long it would
> take for a reply in this forum. :D

I find the PC Gaming forum more dry then this forum!

Long live Dreamcast... And its great games.

btw, Not sure about PSO i think its severs are down.
Tue 10/12/02 at 20:08
Regular
"Formally:Ev][L~DarK"
Ev][L~Dark wrote:
> btw, Not sure about PSO i think its severs are down.

oops, Posted that in the wrong topic....

*walks out in Major Embarrassment*

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.