GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PC's what is the piont? if one at all"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 20/02/02 at 20:55
Regular
I really hate me PC!!! there I have said it
Year shure the games are brill but they cost the same as the consol games do and you have to use the horrible mouse and keyboard.
Imagin this right you see a game that is brand new that cost £35 right. You go out and buy it from mail order shop because you know it will come the day of releas, right, all nice and bandy so far. OK. Then you go to your computer and put into the CD drive and install it like you do right and open the file the runs the game you get past the meuse fine and then start the game, so far so good the you start playing and really get into the game and "boof!!!!!!!!" your and back to the desktop and fast if not faster then it took to load the game. You know why because I have orded mail order and did not bother looking at the minimum system requiremnts.
However I thought that I did not need to because my PC is only about 1 and half years old. seams that I needed to upgread my graphics card that cost me £130 and geuse what a few mounth latter I needed to upgread again and few mounth latter again and again and agian..............
you get the picture right so why bother at all when you can buy a Playstation and only have to pay the price of the game and not the constant upgread cost? I have now hit my computer with a very larg and heavey hammer because I got so frustrated that I just could not cope any more.

SO if thinking about getting a PC do not bother wast of money considering it cost £799.99+ when you can get a PS2 for 199.99+ beleave me the games are just as good for the PS2 as for the PC.
Wed 20/02/02 at 20:55
I really hate me PC!!! there I have said it
Year shure the games are brill but they cost the same as the consol games do and you have to use the horrible mouse and keyboard.
Imagin this right you see a game that is brand new that cost £35 right. You go out and buy it from mail order shop because you know it will come the day of releas, right, all nice and bandy so far. OK. Then you go to your computer and put into the CD drive and install it like you do right and open the file the runs the game you get past the meuse fine and then start the game, so far so good the you start playing and really get into the game and "boof!!!!!!!!" your and back to the desktop and fast if not faster then it took to load the game. You know why because I have orded mail order and did not bother looking at the minimum system requiremnts.
However I thought that I did not need to because my PC is only about 1 and half years old. seams that I needed to upgread my graphics card that cost me £130 and geuse what a few mounth latter I needed to upgread again and few mounth latter again and again and agian..............
you get the picture right so why bother at all when you can buy a Playstation and only have to pay the price of the game and not the constant upgread cost? I have now hit my computer with a very larg and heavey hammer because I got so frustrated that I just could not cope any more.

SO if thinking about getting a PC do not bother wast of money considering it cost £799.99+ when you can get a PS2 for 199.99+ beleave me the games are just as good for the PS2 as for the PC.
Wed 20/02/02 at 23:08
Mostly, I have to agree wiv you, but there are some good points, and they are, I am replying to your message using one, and it aint crashed yet. 2. If you spend £300 on a grafix card you will blow the PS2 into the weeds. 3. You can do a lot more than play games on it. 4. If like me you like to have the best you end up wiv a Sega master system, Sega megadrive,Amiga 1200, Snes, N64, Ps2, Xbox Gamecube etc.etc plus cartridges and disks collecting dust in your loft and these are in effect upgrades, and when they appear on the shelves, you can't get one cos they're sold out and if you do manage to get one (Jap, Yank, U.K?) it'll cost ya £500 a piece.
Maybe you could get the hammer connected to a port on the back and it can hit itself while you Grand Tourismo.
Good Luck!!
Thu 21/02/02 at 07:35
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
A worthy reply there, Stuzz. :)
Thu 21/02/02 at 12:48
Regular
You don't like PC gaming I've noticed. Its probably because you don't understand it properly. Take a bit of time and read what I've got to say and I will explain to you why we bother with buying games on PCs.

1. Improved graphics and power. Maybe you have to upgrade your PC every once in a while, but think about it. THis means you can improve all of your games in one go. When you get a console your stuck with the limitations of the console and you have to put up with it. With the PC the technology is constantly improving... you only need to lok at the GeForce 4 to see this. Vastly improved graphics, but at the same time it takes most of the processing the PC is meant to do and does it itself, leaving the PC to do something more important to make your games more pleasant and smooth to play.

2. Online gaming. With a PC you can play games online. This was something unique to the PC until a few years back when the Dreamcast was unveiled. But to be quite honest it never got off the ground in a big way with console gamers. Lag was rampant due to 56k dial up modems installed in the consoles and this just makes your gaming a sickening task as you shoot and miss 50% of the time. On a PC however you have many other choices. 56k, ISDN, ADSL, Cable, T1 and T3. All of these (running through a PC) can give you a vastly enjoyable online experience, granted the 56k might not be so useful. With Cable or ADSL your not going to get lagged, you have the advantage. Without the lag you can shoot "at" the people unlike the poor 56k owner shooting just infront in a vain attempt to hit someone.

3. Variety. The PC as a gaming platform is amazing. Strategy, FPS, RPGs, Racing games, Beat em ups, it has them all. But what I find incredible is the fact that each genre it does, it manages to push the boundaries in each one. Take for example the original Command and Conquer... hadn't been done on a console before had it? Or what about Doom? Didn't see anyone playing this on their console until the PC had done it. Whatever your taste in gaming the PC is a glorious way to pay your games. It doesn't have a childish game stereotype, it doesn't have an adult games stereotype (although it is aimed at an older gamer in my eyes) because of this no ones going to be ashamed about playing games on it are they? Eliminating the console wars style arguements from the offset.

4. The Control System. Now for some a USB keyboard and a mouse does not seem to be the most helpful control system in the world, but its only because they are too narrow minded to give it a go. When you have a think about it, this control system in the most useful one you could ever come across. Why?

Well firstly you have many more keys on a keyboard than buttons on a control pad, looking at it like this a pad is a very limited way of controling your character.

Secondly you have the mouse. With a mouse it unlocks a few very useful features. MOst notably you can use it to aim in a first person shooter. THis gives you the most precision way of aiming you can get. Whenever you miss, its because you aimed wrong. Not because your hand slippid off your analogue stick or because a button stuck. Its because you missed. Also it gives you a great advantage in a real time strategy game. A precision instrument such as the mouse gives you a much faster and accurate way of controlling your units and giving orders in a game such as Red Alert 2 doesn't it. IF you don't get what I am getting at just go and play COmmand and COnquer on the N64 and then play it on the PC, you'll be amazed at the difference.

Now I doubt you've read that (aimed at the original poster) but I think it shows a clear view of why I feel the PC is a worthy gaming platform. Equalling the consoles and maybe even surpassing them in many ways.
Thu 21/02/02 at 13:02
"I hate that!!!"
PC's can be a pain in the butt because you always have to look for the system requirements where's with GamesConsoles you don't have to (Exept buying perfect dark for the N64).
The emeory is also another thing.
Some games such as fly two take up about 1Gb of hardrive space, which should be no problem when You have a huge hard drive but if you have an old Pc like poor old MJ here then you're stumped, unless of course you buy an upgrade which in some cases can cost more than the actuall machine.

I remember when my dad upgraded his PC.
Our original Pc (Which was custom built from those kind folk at Ratech) Cost about £450 and the upgrade was about the same.A few months later he bought a new Hercules graphics card which cost an extra £80 quid.
After that he had to get some more hard drive space which cost aroud £40-£60.
Then finally he bought a new 56X speed Cd drive which cost about 50 quid.

So Yes Pc's do have great graphics and loads of memory space but when it comes to gaming you're better of buying a PS2 because you don't have to worry about upgrading every once in a while.If you buy a PC for gaming however your going to be a lot worse of. Yes there are great games for the PC such as Need For Speed III but in the long run you'll be a lot worse off.
So my advice is you'r better of with a PS2 or a X-Box when it comes to gaming.

Nice post there MJ.
Thu 21/02/02 at 13:14
"I hate that!!!"
Apologies to Mj there *goes red*
Thu 21/02/02 at 14:17
Regular
Doughnut Monster wrote:
> Apologies to Mj there *goes red*

I really can't believe you thought I wrote that first "post" :/
Thu 21/02/02 at 20:46
First off I am a big game player on the PC. do not get me wrong when i say I HATE MY PC it is just that i really do think it is a pain in the.......back when you have to keep upgrading it all the time.
And since I last posted this I have sice bourt another PC well a lap top any way. it works well now but the quston is for how long.
and to come back the fact about internet gameing ..
well soo you will be able to play the PS2 over the internet thanks to the hard drive from Soney and AOL. (thanks for that guyes). so it really does not matter about that part of it any way.
again PC are great things to play will and perhaps brake but it does get frustating buying things for it all the time and then you see a new game and you just have to have it you know the story.
its a neaver ending story
Fri 22/02/02 at 11:29
Regular
"A man with a stick"
You want to know why I love my PC, simple it has some of the best games on the market, just look at these:
Medal of honour allied assault, Shogun total war, operation Flashpoint and counter strike (which is FREE!) to name but a few.

I know consoles have some pretty cool games for their systems, and I also have a PS2 but something I can't stand is when my console owning buddies moan and complain about the PC. Stuff like 'oh you have to upgrade all the time' or 'They keep crashing' strangely nothing about the actual games you can play, which to me suggests a tiny bit of jealousy among most console owners and us PC gamers.

As for online capability, well the Dreamcast had Internet connection and it didn’t really manage to take off in as big a way as the PC, I doubt any consoles will. The PC owns the online market and will probably continue to own it for a long time to come.
Fri 22/02/02 at 15:50
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
Forget the games - with a PC you can use this wonderful thing called a spell checker ! makes reading posts that much simpler !!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.