GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Girls and gamers"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 22/09/00 at 18:12
Regular
This is a reply I intended to make to a comment I read about two weeks ago, but I forgot.

Anyway, forementioned column was lamenting the fact that (and I quote) "girls and gamers don't mix"! My first point was that being a girl and being a "gamer" (whatever that is, maybe I should say "playing games" instead) do not exclude each other. I would love to get a chorus of support from female contributors to these columns, but I feel my chances are slim, so I'll accept that they are perhaps a rare breed. But it was a bit of a patronising generalisation (don't get many of those these days) to infer that there are none.

Anyway, that was my initial rant, my warm-up for the main point, which is this. The vast majority of games players, and more importantly games buyers, fit into a single category, young and male. I think the breakdown of the posters in these discussions will probably reflect that, although anyone who isn't please let me know. The future of gaming holds in store a battle between four players, each of who will be trying to sell more units than the others. I presume this battle will be fought over the same set of buyers - young males. I wonder if any of the contenders has given much thought to capturing new sections of the market? And I don't mean by releasing things like Barbie's fashion studio either...

What do you reckon? Is it possible to expand the market at all, or is it a lost battle? If it is then HOW?
Thu 28/09/00 at 21:03
Regular
Hey! The Monkey 4 demo is out soon!
Oh yeah, no drifting, sorry...
Thu 28/09/00 at 20:50
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
far away?? Grix_Thraves was saying how Maddonna was a Material girl, don't ask me why, she has her own production company so doesn't loose any money, now if you can tell me one thing she can't buy, except for the obvious, the world, royalty, the first piece of paper ever made(because it doesn't exist) now if she IS a girl, and this topics IS about girls, then how far did we drift?
Thu 28/09/00 at 20:43
It's funny how far away messages can get from the original topic once disscusion commences.
Thu 28/09/00 at 20:31
Regular
You are beginning to confuse me now Fog...
Thu 28/09/00 at 20:12
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
he didn't say anything to shut up did he? whatever, your always on here around this time, I try to cut down on my sessions of Special Reserve as i am finding myself becoming addicted to it's blue writting and endless white pages with information covering every corner, left to right, top to bottom!
Thu 28/09/00 at 19:56
Regular
Yeah I know. But it shut him up didn't it.
Thu 28/09/00 at 19:53
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
your just playing with words, I can't answer you back as i've had a long day and need to work on my music for some important events which need alot of attention, it was very clever but I think you get my point. and what why did that kid quote my whole letter??? that question wasn't really aimed at anyone.
Wed 27/09/00 at 20:04
Regular
Ah but is the MOST futuristic, something that seems more advanced than anything else that exists materially. Like the Gamecube. Or the X-Box (at a later date.) Also, just because something doesn't exist, even if the technology does (Gamecube again) then it can then be called materially because it good as exists.
Although this has nothing to do with the future of gaming, or infact Girls and Gamers (Madonna - Material girl. Maybe.), I thought it to be a valid point.
Wed 27/09/00 at 00:21
Fogmaster wrote:
> so your saying that if we wanted to talk about the Nintendo
> gamecube which has it's own forum we have to write it in there?
> even though most of the messages about it are in this forum! it's
> still a future console, this is the future forum, what do we write
> in here??? Girls and Games is not a future thing!! it's present go
> make a Present Gaming Forum!!! think before you answer back to
> me!! for i am fogstarr!!!! hhmm, PD is the latest game for the
> N64, excluding the lesser games excite bike, etc, etc, so it is
> the most futuristic game there is for the N64, maybe it should be
> in the Nintendo forum but it's not strictly n64! I could have a
> gameboy question a put it in there! I could have bout a mario game
> which is made by Nintendo and put it in there!
>
> So if this topic, which is about girls and Gamers, was to be
> about how Girls could rule the games of the future, then it would
> have a place here, but it doesn't, so stop arguing. Please!
Anything that exists materially already can't be defined futuristic surely
Tue 26/09/00 at 18:58
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
so your saying that if we wanted to talk about the Nintendo gamecube which has it's own forum we have to write it in there? even though most of the messages about it are in this forum! it's still a future console, this is the future forum, what do we write in here??? Girls and Games is not a future thing!! it's present go make a Present Gaming Forum!!! think before you answer back to me!! for i am fogstarr!!!! hhmm, PD is the latest game for the N64, excluding the lesser games excite bike, etc, etc, so it is the most futuristic game there is for the N64, maybe it should be in the Nintendo forum but it's not strictly n64! I could have a gameboy question a put it in there! I could have bout a mario game which is made by Nintendo and put it in there!

So if this topic, which is about girls and Gamers, was to be about how Girls could rule the games of the future, then it would have a place here, but it doesn't, so stop arguing. Please!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.