GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Half Life or Medal of Honour: Allied Assault?"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 19/02/02 at 12:57
Regular
Firstly, this will be an abstract topic, and an incredibly strange one, but it's just to see what replies I get to the somewhat awkward questions and see what you all think of my theory.

I've heard my friends say 'Medal of Honour - the best FPS since Half Life'. I strongly disagree, but before we go saying that one is better, let's actually look at both games first. Whilst I think Medal of Honour is a fairly good game, I don't believe that it's in the same league as Half-Life. The story line is washy to say the least, merely attempting to link different missions by a couple of glancing level similarities to the last i.e. a King Tiger Tank was in one level, and they put one in this level too, so they're linked by a story line (I think not!). Ok, so its a good game, nice graphics, reasonable A.I apart from when you can't get your own men to move out of your way, and the Dunkirk level is the nads (no argument there) but does that really equate to a game better than the almighty holyness of all FPS (that's Half Life!)?

Half Life is dog t**d! Well not dog t**d, but I did it to wake you up (did it work?). Maybe HL is not the best, but our memory makes us think its the best, but maybe it's been bettered so many times. I'm sure that a lot of the HL fans just jumped onto the Bandwagon and bought the game because everyone else has. Ok, the AI is good no question but can any match it? Without making a long essay about it, no, I just want to be controversial. Some will argue that it doesn't matter which is better, as they are both quality games, and both deserve acclaim. As long as we're getting our money's worth, it doesn't really matter. To sound even more controverisal, Medal of Honour is purely a copy of the PS1 versions and just ported to the PC, and had a Quake 3 engine stuck up it's back orifice. Is this true? Are we all just too excited with it's release that we fail to realise this? Do the answers themselves become questions? Surely if MOH was so good, none of us would be here typing these messages, no? I can see why MOH appeals to so many people, because the less mentally gifted of us prefer a breach, bang and clear game, rather than a methodical, thought out, stealthy game.

"Half Life is the best until Duke Forever comes back." Is Duke Nukem the king of FPS? He's been around longer than most of the others, but hasn't really released an amazing ammount of games. Duke Forever looks like it's going to be amazing, but can it live up to the hype and can it beat Half Life, which is supposedly the best FPS game ever. Maybe there are even more games that we're bypassing here. Deux Ex, for instance. Is Deux the best FPS ever? I say no, I say it doesn't even come close, but it's a collosal game. If they extend the series a few more games, then maybe it has a foot in at becoming the best FPS game ever. Not long now until Unreal II comes out, and I think might finally knock Half-Life off it's FPS throne. I was just looking at the screenies on Gamespot, and they look pretty sweet.

"Neither of them are better than McChicken Sandwhiches". I'm gonna have to say that McChicken Sandwiches rule. Ok, enough humour. PC Gamer took Half Life off of the number one spot and replaced it with MOH - what a shock! I'll try and justify a reason why they've done this and look upon it from a conservative point of view. MOH is easily the best game on the PC since Half Life. Recently I've been thinking that, at least in my opinion anyway, there never will be an FPS game better than Half Life. Half Life completely redefined, in every single way what we expect from a FPS. MOH, gameplay wise, is probably equal to Half Life but its not all shiny and new to me. I'm talking about things like A.I. Half Life was released and I literally sat back and said "wow". The same thing happens in MOH and its just the norm now, it doesn't have the wonder that Half Life did. That said I had as much fun playing MOH as I did Half Life, and I've never said that before. Let's examine the sentence "best FPS since Half-Life", just so I don't look like I'm contradicting myself. Let's look at the word "since". This word, generally, is a means of referring in the past tense, but has a general context of being after a certain point in time. Therefore, it's logical to say that the above statement means that MOH:AA is the best FPS game to have been produced after Half-Life. The statement does not say that it is a better game than Half-Life itself, merely that all other FPS titles that have been released after Half-Life pale in comparison to it. Comprendé?

So, what is better? Half Life or Medal of Honour: Allied Assault?
Tue 12/03/02 at 18:12
Regular
"Unknown Legend"
HALO :D
But seriously ,Half-life especially the Blue Shift Ex. Pack
Tue 12/03/02 at 12:06
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Both games are the best in my whole collection, but i'd have to say Medal of Honour. I haven't put that game down all weekend which just like I couldn't put down Half Life down all those years ago. Brillient Games.
Mon 11/03/02 at 16:34
Halflife and Medal Of Honour are wicked games But medal of honour is a bit better
Mon 25/02/02 at 08:46
The Dark one wrote:
> Simple question with a simple answer HALF LIFE. That game rulez.

Too true buddy :0)
Mon 25/02/02 at 08:36
Regular
"Woo Hoo!"
Simple question with a simple answer HALF LIFE. That game rulez.
Mon 25/02/02 at 07:46
Thanks for popping and replying to the topic. Thanks!
Sun 24/02/02 at 23:25
Regular
"That's right!"
Although I probably enjoyed Half Life more (mainly because of Opposing Force)

I would say MOH is the better game, because I hate games where you shoot aliens (heh) and it's more recent - better graphics, AI etc
Sun 24/02/02 at 19:21
I would personally say 'both'. Half life is, and will always be, a brilliant game, and a truly unforgettable experience (and annoyingly scary in places). Medal of Honour: Allied Assault is hailed as the FPS to finally be better than Half Life, and I am enclined to agree. So, I would say both (and besides, you can get Half Life for £9.99 now).
Sun 24/02/02 at 12:01
Regular
"Tag as above"
I have half-life but never real got into it much, I got bored with it quite quickly so can't comment on that.

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault has me hooked on the single player, its one of the best FPS games I've played in a long while, although the multiplayer options are only any good if you have at least 6 people to play.
Wed 20/02/02 at 10:07
Regular
"Amphib-ophile"
It helps to consider the online aspect of Half-life, though. Without HL, we would have no counter-strike. Medal of Honour, whilst being a stunning game, does not make the contribution to the gaming world the HL did. This is why people look back on HL with such favoritism - it extended the boundaries of PC gaming, whilst MOH simply reiterates (although with much better graphics).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.