GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Are PC games for the smarter gamer?"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 18/02/02 at 23:46
Regular
Arcade conversions don't work too well on PC's, as a rule. Tekken would never work with a keyboard and mouse, and the same can be said of many racer games, albeit to a slightly lesser extent.

So does this force the games released on PC's to be more 'mind stimulating'? Less action, but more complex?

(Ignoring the obvious contradiction of FPS games though, which have done very well on PC's)

All the games by the like of Maxis and Microprose... (X-com series and Sim city games, are a few examples, if you weren't sure) tha are primarily PC games which never do anywhere near as well when (and if) released on consoles. Is this because the PC gamer is fundamentally different to the console gamer?

Could it be that the two have been going in different directions, right from the start? Since as far back as I can remember, consoles have been trying to reproduce Arcade quality software - a feat which they've now all but achieved. The result being that console games now attract the same sort of gamers who would frequent arcades (There's another possible viewpoint on the 'Sony Effect' there, if anyone wants to explore it further. I'm not going to here, however).

What have PC games been doing? They've been creating games for the PC owner. The nerd, who like mental challenges - because that was the only sort of person who used to both own a PC, and want to play games. That may not be the case any more, but it's common to find that the PC is the first place many strategy games first find the light of day - RTS games were first seen on the PC, for example - though that was partiallt because a console simply didn't have the processing power back then.

Anyway, I've rambled enough to make my point. Lets hear your views.
Thu 21/02/02 at 15:10
Regular
"not dead"
I don't think it comes down to intelligence, as such, but the mouse and keyboard simply allow for different types of games. You can't so easily point and click with a pad, can you?

With a keyboard though, you can have many more options. A management game, or sim, you can have keyboard shortcuts to access certain stats, or move something, rather than using a cumbersome menu system that would no doubt be required if te game were to be played using a pad on a console.

To be honest though, most of the games I play on my PC are emulated console games, (given that my PC cost £400 2 years ago, I can't very well run the latest PC games!) So hat does that make me, a hyper intelligent console gamer, or a PC gamer from the low end of the intelligence ladder?
Thu 21/02/02 at 00:22
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Brew wrote:
PC games are difinitely for the smarter

Note: There is no proven relationshiip between intelligence and ability to spell. Hence Brew has not given a counterargument to my theory.

Honest ;)
Wed 20/02/02 at 10:17
Regular
"Amphib-ophile"
Desert Beetle wrote:

Is Small Frog a sexual innuendo? I could think up countless
> ones for you ;)

Yes, but let's not, okay?
Wed 20/02/02 at 10:10
Small Frog wrote:
> I suggest you calm down and take several deep breaths before continuing, Mr
> Beetle.

*Takes several deep breaths before "continuing"*

Note: That was not an attack on Mr Brew, I was just adding to the sarcasm that he unboutedly laid the smacketh down upon. None of my sentiments (unless sensible) should be taken literally, especially in this topic, Mr Frog.

Is Small Frog a sexual innuendo? I could think up countless ones for you ;)
Wed 20/02/02 at 10:04
Regular
"Amphib-ophile"
I suggest you calm down and take several deep breaths before continuing, Mr Beetle.
Wed 20/02/02 at 10:02
Brew wrote:
> Couldn't agree more, PC games are difinitely for the smarter and more
> intelligent ones among us. PC gamers are just sooooo amazingly intelligent.
> The fact that I only own a PC and no consoles doesn't affect my view whatsoever.
> ;)

LoL. In all seriousness, have you ever actually played a console and is that your serious view? If it is, it's damn biased (in the humerous sense, of course!). What am I saying!?
Wed 20/02/02 at 09:53
Regular
"Stud-muffin!!"
Couldn't agree more, PC games are difinitely for the smarter and more intelligent ones among us. PC gamers are just sooooo amazingly intelligent. The fact that I only own a PC and no consoles doesn't affect my view whatsoever. ;)
Wed 20/02/02 at 09:49
I can bet that if we sent this topic to all our school/work friends, we'd be bombarded with a full scale riot on our front door! I think that strategy games are certainly for the smarter gamer, because they are more involved and normally require doing more than one thing at once, whereas a console game is normally a little easier, considering that the spec is lower than the domestic monster-of-a-PC. I dare say that all PC games are for the smarter gamer though, because that would outline my favortism towards PC games, unfortunately.
Wed 20/02/02 at 09:45
Regular
"Stud-muffin!!"
MoJoJoJo wrote:
> Well you get more strategy games on the PC, and they're certainly the thinking
> man's game

That's probably coz strategy games are easiest controlled with a mouse. Consoles can cope with strategy games, but only just.
Wed 20/02/02 at 09:45
Regular
"Stud-muffin!!"
MoJoJoJo wrote:
> Well you get more strategy games on the PC, and they're certainly the thinking
> man's game

That's probably coz strategy games are easiest controlled with a mouse. Consoles can cope with strategy games, but only just.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.