GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Updating Pages"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 18/02/02 at 20:55
Regular
Ive got a fairly large website at the moment (50 pages and rising) and I frequently need to update the template page which means I have to update every other page on the website that uses the template.

This alone takes over half an hour every time I upload the pages.

Is there another solution to this, or even a quicker way?

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Wed 20/02/02 at 07:45
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Garin wrote:
> You said SSI wasn't secure in static html files, I want to know why.

I will ask one of my developers to explain later as it was our dev team that discovered a problem with them.
Tue 19/02/02 at 16:18
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Tyla wrote:
> Please explain, trying to think of ways the include tag is insecure in that circumstance but not coming up with many (well none actually). And I really dunno what difference JSP/ASP will make.

> > For your html includes to work, save the main page as .asp. it doesn't hae to be an actual asp page but includes can't be called into an HTML page. They also won't display until you place the files onto a server as it's the server which processes the command for the include...

Umm...that isn't what I asked. :)
You said SSI wasn't secure in static html files, I want to know why.

-G
Tue 19/02/02 at 15:06
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Garin wrote:
> Please explain, trying to think of ways the include tag is insecure in that circumstance but not coming up with many (well none actually). And I really dunno what difference JSP/ASP will make.

For your html includes to work, save the main page as .asp. it doesn't hae to be an actual asp page but includes can't be called into an HTML page. They also won't display until you place the files onto a server as it's the server which processes the command for the include...

see www.polity.co.uk

The page is labeled .asp but it's actually static as the menus and search are all includes... the same with www.blackwellpublishers.co.uk... again, just the manus are includes but the page has to be labelled .asp for them to work.
Tue 19/02/02 at 14:36
Regular
"How Handy."
PHP Include tags are fantastic help when your making websites. I used them to do my webdesign site, only to find that my crappy server dont support php..

I had one file for the menu and seperate files for each content page. Made life very easy if I wanted to change a menu item..
Tue 19/02/02 at 14:05
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Tyla wrote:
>

>Unless contained in either a page generated by JSP/ASP these are not secure!! Don't use them in plain HTML files... Been burnt before!!

Please explain, trying to think of ways the include tag is insecure in that circumstance but not coming up with many (well none actually). And I really dunno what difference JSP/ASP will make.

-G
Tue 19/02/02 at 13:41
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Ahem...

DW3 also supports .php, just save as file.php. Furthermore, you can get plugins so it actually parses include() and require().

However, you *really* should learn HTML before you even touch HTML. Download 1st Page 2000 (evrsoft.com), it's a great help.
Tue 19/02/02 at 11:32
Tyla wrote:
> Exsqueeze Me? You can't code HTML by hand... SHame on
> you... You'll never get anywhere in the industry if you
> cant do the basics!! I'd start with HTML before going on
> to PHP!!

Yeah, what he said... Put down Dreamweaver, fire up Notepad and do it by hand... I remember when we didn't have these posh WYSIWYG tools for web design... eeee, back in my day * drone waffle, waffle drone * ;)
Tue 19/02/02 at 07:56
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Dav1d wrote:
> yeah it does, but if i save it as a .php it wont let me open it again :-S

Again... USE NOTEPAD!!!
Tue 19/02/02 at 07:55
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Dav1d wrote:
> Thanks cjh, I understand the principle in it all, and it really would help alot I f I could use something like that, but unfortunatley Dreamweaver doesnt support .php pages.

Actually it does!! Well DW4 does anyway. Other wise, use Notepad!!

>Any suggestions because I sure as hell cant program my own html :-)

Exsqueeze Me? You can't code HTML by hand... SHame on you... You'll never get anywhere in the industry if you cant do the basics!! I'd start with HTML before going on to PHP!!
Tue 19/02/02 at 07:52
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Garin wrote:
> Another possibility is server side includes. You'll have to check that your host supports it though.
But if your host supports it you can have stuff like
You can put your generic html that appears on each page in files like eg header.html and then on your pages rather you have a tag like

Unless contained in either a page generated by JSP/ASP these are not secure!! Don't use them in plain HTML files... Been burnt before!!

>instead. Before your webpage is served up by your host, it scans the page for tags like that and includes the text from the file.

PLEASE NOTE... your HTML includes need to only contain the HTML for that section. No headers, no meta tags, no body tags and no CSS just the HTML you want to use!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.