GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Who Influences You?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 23/07/12 at 12:20
"possibly impossible"
Even if you like to think of yourself as a bit of a 'free spirit' or unique, everyone has influences that affect how they live or what they do, even in a small way.

So who influences you and how much? Do you have people that you look up to/use as role models?

In some ways I've been influenced by Gene Roddenberry's vision of a future where Earth has put their issues behind them, though you could argue that this is slightly flawed based on the amount of fighting that goes on in Star Trek.

Continuing the Space theme, I looked up to the early astronauts and scientists who worked hard to make space flight possible and it's a minor miracle that humans managed to get to the moon in 1969 given all the issues surrounding getting there and trying to map out the unknown.

I'm also influenced by my family and by my children, in the same way that many people change when they have children to look after.
Mon 23/07/12 at 19:51
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
chasfh wrote:
Day off tomorrow, and I'll be doing some gardening...
Got a real "thirst" for it now.:-)

Looks like a good 'gardening day' tomorrow aswell ... I'll join you ;¬)

EDIT: How's the 'code' chas?
Mon 23/07/12 at 17:32
Regular
"Monochromatic"
I'm something of a personality locust, watching people and taking whatever characteristics I like from them, whether it's the way they talk, think or move. I haven't really done that for a long time though as I reached a point where I was content with myself.
In general terms, Buddhism is probably still my largest influence even though I don't follow it anymore. I cherry-picked what I could from it and it's helped me find some peace of mind. Reading Camus recently has also helped me to sit back and relax in much the same sense.
At the same time though, anyone who knows me will know I have 2 personalities and ways of thinking and on the other side of the fence from the hippy, rose-tinted, romantic part of my mind is the scientist. The harsh, logical thinker and I'd say that's probably influenced by Nietzsche and Darwin.

I've always been an unwilling nihilist. Wanting meaning & a romanticised view of the world but unable to believe it.

On a personal level, from a young age I looked at my parents and saw who I didn't want to become. My strongest influence until I was about 14 were my grandparents, caring, intelligent, reasonable and thoroughly decent people. If my thoughts belong to Nietzsche, Camus, Nin etc, then my behaviour belongs to my grandparents. I have always tried to be good and a man of strong principles.
Mon 23/07/12 at 17:22
Regular
"How Ironic"
Heavily influenced by my dad in a good way, by my mum in a bad way.
Mon 23/07/12 at 17:16
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
DL wrote:
chasfh wrote:
[i]pb wrote:
[i]chasfh wrote:
[i]

My influence when it comes to gardening, however, just happens to be an armchair and a pint more often than not...

I like that influence! (maybe it's more 'under the influence' than being influenced, though? )[/i]

Both!:-)[/i]

Best way to 'do gardening' ;¬)[/i]

Day off tomorrow, and I'll be doing some gardening...
Got a real "thirst" for it now.:-)
Mon 23/07/12 at 15:59
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
chasfh wrote:
pb wrote:
[i]chasfh wrote:
[i]

My influence when it comes to gardening, however, just happens to be an armchair and a pint more often than not...

I like that influence! (maybe it's more 'under the influence' than being influenced, though? )[/i]

Both!:-)[/i]

Best way to 'do gardening' ;¬)
Mon 23/07/12 at 14:15
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
pb wrote:
chasfh wrote:
[i]

Both!:-)
Mon 23/07/12 at 14:01
"possibly impossible"
chasfh wrote:

I like that influence! (maybe it's more 'under the influence' than being influenced, though? )
Mon 23/07/12 at 13:17
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Different parts of my life have different influences on them, and I think this is most likely the case for anyone.

For example, when I write, it would be H.P. Lovecraft that I look to for inspiration, maybe a bit of King, or Stephen Donaldson (for the truly epic parts!). These names and their works spur me on to greater effort.

For my artwork, Da Vinci, Dali, Vallejo, Frazetta, Monet... A bit of a mix, but each of them full of conviction for their own particular style and works.

for everyday life, it's always my wife and, rather more lately, my son. My dad and mum have also always been influential in my life.

There are many others, and I'm pretty sure that anyone who claims to be completely unaffected by others is deluding themselves. Even the greatest minds are influenced by others.

Mon 23/07/12 at 12:20
"possibly impossible"
Even if you like to think of yourself as a bit of a 'free spirit' or unique, everyone has influences that affect how they live or what they do, even in a small way.

So who influences you and how much? Do you have people that you look up to/use as role models?

In some ways I've been influenced by Gene Roddenberry's vision of a future where Earth has put their issues behind them, though you could argue that this is slightly flawed based on the amount of fighting that goes on in Star Trek.

Continuing the Space theme, I looked up to the early astronauts and scientists who worked hard to make space flight possible and it's a minor miracle that humans managed to get to the moon in 1969 given all the issues surrounding getting there and trying to map out the unknown.

I'm also influenced by my family and by my children, in the same way that many people change when they have children to look after.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.