GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Natural Ability"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 03/07/12 at 13:13
Regular
"How Ironic"
Here's another one for you guys to chew on after the good response for my previous thread.

Is there any such thing as natural ability?

You hear of people doing amazing things, like being sublime at controlling or football or being a brilliant guitarist. You've also probably heard someone at some time say "It's a natural gift" or "They were born to do that". Can a person be born specifically to be good at certain things? Or is everyone born on an equal playing field and some choose to develop particular skills whilst others don't?

It's a difficult one to decide on. Whilst I don't believe that a baby is born straight there with the skills ready to go when they're older, I do believe people can be born with the mental or physical aspects required for particular skills. However, I don't believe the skill itself is a given. All skills have to be developed, it's just some are more adept at certain skills than others.

What are your thoughts? :-)
Wed 04/07/12 at 19:21
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
I'll be back soon

@Nin ... rather like broadband coverage ;¬)
Wed 04/07/12 at 17:44
Regular
"Monochromatic"
pb wrote:
Ahem: Basketball Players. :)

They're no exception. Trained to the same degree and all other things being the same, someone shorter will always be quicker, more agile and less likely to trip over their own feet. It's a biological certainty as brain signals deteriorate over distance and are slower to travel, if only slightly
Wed 04/07/12 at 17:11
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
pb wrote:

Alas, something I'll also probably never be...
(3ft 6 and built like a racing snake, unfortunately..)
for entertainment purposes, my height may be underestimated... but not by much!
Wed 04/07/12 at 14:55
"possibly impossible"
Nin wrote:
Sonic Chris wrote:
[i]Well that covers the physical aspect of his game. What about the mental element? Was he naturally born with the capability to make quick decisions, or did he develop it? Would anyone else be able to train to such a level, or does he have a gift?

A long time ago my psyche told me that seeing the mind and body as 2 separate entities is a bit of a nonsense. It's all the same biology and connected.
Using Messi again, the fact that he is small will lead to a reactionary advantage. There's a reason tall people tend to be clumsy, slower and less agile and it's due to the distance the signals from the brain have to travel through the nervous system. Anyone can train to become sharper and quicker but his potential would far exceed someone a foot taller.
Assuming his identical biology, anyone could train to the same level given the same environment.[/i]

Wed 04/07/12 at 14:42
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Sonic Chris wrote:
Well that covers the physical aspect of his game. What about the mental element? Was he naturally born with the capability to make quick decisions, or did he develop it? Would anyone else be able to train to such a level, or does he have a gift?

A long time ago my psyche told me that seeing the mind and body as 2 separate entities is a bit of a nonsense. It's all the same biology and connected.
Using Messi again, the fact that he is small will lead to a reactionary advantage. There's a reason tall people tend to be clumsy, slower and less agile and it's due to the distance the signals from the brain have to travel through the nervous system. Anyone can train to become sharper and quicker but his potential would far exceed someone a foot taller.
Assuming his identical biology, anyone could train to the same level given the same environment.
Wed 04/07/12 at 13:56
Regular
"How Ironic"
Nin wrote:
Sonic Chris wrote:

Yes, genetically everyone has natural strengths and weaknesses. For example, part of the reason Messi is such a good dribbler is because he's only 5'7, he has a very low centre of gravity which helps with balance.

Well that covers the physical aspect of his game. What about the mental element? Was he naturally born with the capability to make quick decisions, or did he develop it? Would anyone else be able to train to such a level, or does he have a gift?
Wed 04/07/12 at 13:47
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Sonic Chris wrote:

Yes, genetically everyone has natural strengths and weaknesses. For example, part of the reason Messi is such a good dribbler is because he's only 5'7, he has a very low centre of gravity which helps with balance.
I used to run cross-country for my school until I was 14 and filled out physically. Back then I was a natural runner, now it's impossible because I'm top-heavy and more suited to heavy-lifting.

Obviously skill development helps but the reality is some people are naturally more able to do some things than others.
Wed 04/07/12 at 13:18
Regular
"How Ironic"
It's fascinating that we've all potentially got a superb skill that we haven't discovered yet.
Wed 04/07/12 at 13:03
"possibly impossible"
It's all a little more complicated than this.

Everyone may have an inherent 'talent' ie: something that they are good at. Whether this is the power of suggestion, making people happy or something more akin to an entertainment-based talent.

There will be an element of nature involved in this, the way you are physically designed or how many of each gene you have, and also an element of nurture, how you're raised, whether you are allowed your talent to grow.

Then there's finding this in the first place. Maybe you go through your whole life not even realising your talent because the opportunity has never arisen.
Wed 04/07/12 at 12:05
Regular
"How Ironic"
I think there's a question of 'fate' here as well. There must be people out there who could've been a genius sculpter, or a wise philosopher but because of there choices or circumstances in life, they didn't achieve that potential. Does everyone have something that they are genius at if this is the case, or is it a special few who are born with the potential at birth? Are we therefore not all born on a level field, and some of us in fact are already born with more than others?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.