GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Virtua Tennis 4"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Virtua Tennis 4'.
Tue 26/06/12 at 20:47
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
Virtua Tennis 4 Review

For the purposes of this review, the Playstation 3 version was used

With the beginning of Wimbledon fresh in our memories, some gamers will be yearning for a video game representation for them to play themselves, to relive the excitement seen out on centre court. Luckily, nowadays we don’t have to rely on Pong to provide the kind of back and forth action that we see in tennis. EA Sports provides Grand Slam Tennis, whilst 2K games offer the Top Spin series. However, I’m going to be talking through my own personal favourite tennis series - Virtua Tennis.

Originally a classic and a staple in arcade sporting titles, Virtua Tennis also enjoyed a successful porting to home consoles. With fun, quick-paced and addictive gameplay (I was hooked from playing the original at my local arcade), it enjoyed a largely unchallenged beginning before the likes of its competitors arrived. It was at this point that it started to lose its edge.

Virtua Tennis 4 generally sticks to its arcade roots, with potentially not the most realistic depiction of the sport, but a generally good one to play. Whilst it is a little closer to the real thing than the experience offered, say, in Virtua Tennis 2, the pace and enjoyment is still there. Now, with the speed lowered and a greater emphasis on positioning and timing, there’s a little more in the way of strategy in the play, but it also means it is slightly more difficult to master than the pick up and play of years past.

Virtua Tennis 4 introduces a momentum meter to the game. This is like a concentration bar, wherein the more filled the bar is, the better, harder and more accurate the shots the player will perform. The bar is filled up when the player performs shots that are typical to their game, such as Murray playing shots with his notoriously better backhand, or Roddick scorching the surface with a record-breaking serve. Once the bar is full, the player can then unleash an almost game-breaking winner (complete with slow-mo) at the expense of their concentration. It’s an interesting feature that adds realism in a good, but somewhat flawed way.

To take to the court, Criware’s title brings a host of top players to the fray. With a choice of major names in the sport, such as Djokovic, Nadal and Sharapova (who comes naturally with her ridiculously stupid grunts), alongside legends such as Becker, there isn’t a style of play that isn’t really represented. All of the likenesses are quite good (as you’d probably expect from a game like this) and adds an air of authenticity around the game.

However, I almost find it amazing that from the first iteration of the series to arrive on the current generation of consoles, SEGA have managed to reduce the fine detail that is on display. Somehow, players seem less defined as they did in Virtua Tennis 3. Combine this with the removal of little touches, such as the French umpires at French venues, and you paint a picture of one that is less refined, less complete seeming than it perhaps should be.

There are a few different offerings on ways to play, of course. For those wanting to have more freedom over the match selections, or for those wanting to play longer games, Exhibition mode allows the fine tuning of venue and opponents, whilst also allowing for the full 5 set - 6 game plus tiebreak setting that the male game enjoys in the major tournaments (although I think missing the Championship tiebreak, which is unfortunate). Arcade mode gives all the thrill of playing a series of opponents, increasing in skill that you would experience in the arcade version, but without the loss of incremental amounts of money when trying to beat Kohlschreiber for the umpteenth time.

Obviously, the major part of the console version is World Tour, and the ability to create your own player. Yet again, this mode has been given an overhaul: splitting the season into the four major tournaments, played like a board game. The player is given a few different choices of moves to progress across the board. Along the way, you will encounter training, tournaments and press events. Press events, tournaments and practice matches earn stars, which in turn gain access into more prestigious tournaments and eventually seeding into the majors.

Unfortunately, with the revamp, the control of your player is reduced. No longer do mini-games improve the skills of your player, but only their conditioning. It is an unfortunate consequence of reducing freedom for a more structured campaign, as a player’s style is now dictated by a purchased tagline as opposed to their actual skills that have been developed.

Of course, in World Tour, you will also run into the Virtua Tennis staple, the mini-game. Virtua Tennis 4 introduces a whole new set of fun mini games to play to hone your skills with. Rallies with added wind or tuneable walls, smashing lines of plates, saving lines of chicklets, picking coins, dealing cards and blowing up the opposition are some of the ways you’ll be spending your time. Alternatively, for those feeling a little sore about England’s EURO exit, you can serve a few goals yourself.

These minigames are also available to play in party mode, where up to 4 players can duke it out in a duel for the greatest score, or go one on one in one of the rally games. There is also the possibility of playing these mini games against people remotely, in the online play modes.

Online play has also been included within the Virtua Tennis 4 package, and I’ll not beat about the bush, it’s pretty terrible. Granted, since launch, there have been some vast improvements, but there is still a lot of work to be done before it becomes ultimately acceptable.

Connectivity is absolutely woeful, with disconnects galore and violent lagging issues, even after the lengthy waits for opponents. Most people playing online will try and exploit the cheap options. Short slow serves are in abundance, and as such most games will boil down to who is better at the exploits. The inability to skip action replays, especially when they appear for the most mundane of finishes to rallies, also provides an additional annoyance when playing online. These problems afflict both quick and player matches, and make playing online a frightfully frustrating experience.

In conclusion, it can be seen that whilst Virtua Tennis 4 provides a good offering of tennis-based arcade fun. However, the move towards more realistic gameplay is one that more removes the soul from the title, as opposed to making it more tactical. Graphically still impressive, the detail from the third in the series is missing and makes it seemed rushed (albeit less so than the misstep that was Vitua Tennis 2009). The momentum bar is an interesting addition, but would be better without the arbitrary near-perfect finishing shot (which just looks ridiculous when combined with a jumping stretch for a ball out of reach).

It’s good, and fun to play, if a little frustrating at times. If you’re going to get it, I’d recommend almost completely ignoring the online play unless you have the patience of a saint. The roster is good, if a little outdated now, and generally World Tour is still enjoyable, but the lack of control over skill now may put people off. It may win the points, but due to its faults, it is generally on the second serve.

Score: 7/10
Fri 29/06/12 at 16:27
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
I haven't actually checked the PS Move compatibility on Virtua Tennis 4 yet, but if I get round to it, I'll add it as an addendum :)
Thu 28/06/12 at 22:42
Regular
"I like turtles"
Kinect support on the 360 version was a joke.
Thu 28/06/12 at 17:42
Regular
"How Ironic"
Biggest downside to Virtua Tennis 4 for me was not being able to play full 5-set games. Doesn't feel like real tennis at all. The matches are over in a matter of minutes.
Wed 27/06/12 at 23:09
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
I wish they'd sort out the Playstation 3 version's online - I'm still trying to get up to Rank A5 and it's an infuriating experience at times, especially as the point gain is grinding to a halt at C1.

But it's good to hear that some of the issues have been reduced in the Vita version, as I do plan on getting it if I manage to save enough up for one.
Wed 27/06/12 at 09:38
Regular
"And in last place.."
It was interesting reading this as I've played a fair bit of the Vita version and it seems to be more than just a port, it looks like they have dealt with some of the issue along the way. And online works well too.
Tue 26/06/12 at 20:47
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
Virtua Tennis 4 Review

For the purposes of this review, the Playstation 3 version was used

With the beginning of Wimbledon fresh in our memories, some gamers will be yearning for a video game representation for them to play themselves, to relive the excitement seen out on centre court. Luckily, nowadays we don’t have to rely on Pong to provide the kind of back and forth action that we see in tennis. EA Sports provides Grand Slam Tennis, whilst 2K games offer the Top Spin series. However, I’m going to be talking through my own personal favourite tennis series - Virtua Tennis.

Originally a classic and a staple in arcade sporting titles, Virtua Tennis also enjoyed a successful porting to home consoles. With fun, quick-paced and addictive gameplay (I was hooked from playing the original at my local arcade), it enjoyed a largely unchallenged beginning before the likes of its competitors arrived. It was at this point that it started to lose its edge.

Virtua Tennis 4 generally sticks to its arcade roots, with potentially not the most realistic depiction of the sport, but a generally good one to play. Whilst it is a little closer to the real thing than the experience offered, say, in Virtua Tennis 2, the pace and enjoyment is still there. Now, with the speed lowered and a greater emphasis on positioning and timing, there’s a little more in the way of strategy in the play, but it also means it is slightly more difficult to master than the pick up and play of years past.

Virtua Tennis 4 introduces a momentum meter to the game. This is like a concentration bar, wherein the more filled the bar is, the better, harder and more accurate the shots the player will perform. The bar is filled up when the player performs shots that are typical to their game, such as Murray playing shots with his notoriously better backhand, or Roddick scorching the surface with a record-breaking serve. Once the bar is full, the player can then unleash an almost game-breaking winner (complete with slow-mo) at the expense of their concentration. It’s an interesting feature that adds realism in a good, but somewhat flawed way.

To take to the court, Criware’s title brings a host of top players to the fray. With a choice of major names in the sport, such as Djokovic, Nadal and Sharapova (who comes naturally with her ridiculously stupid grunts), alongside legends such as Becker, there isn’t a style of play that isn’t really represented. All of the likenesses are quite good (as you’d probably expect from a game like this) and adds an air of authenticity around the game.

However, I almost find it amazing that from the first iteration of the series to arrive on the current generation of consoles, SEGA have managed to reduce the fine detail that is on display. Somehow, players seem less defined as they did in Virtua Tennis 3. Combine this with the removal of little touches, such as the French umpires at French venues, and you paint a picture of one that is less refined, less complete seeming than it perhaps should be.

There are a few different offerings on ways to play, of course. For those wanting to have more freedom over the match selections, or for those wanting to play longer games, Exhibition mode allows the fine tuning of venue and opponents, whilst also allowing for the full 5 set - 6 game plus tiebreak setting that the male game enjoys in the major tournaments (although I think missing the Championship tiebreak, which is unfortunate). Arcade mode gives all the thrill of playing a series of opponents, increasing in skill that you would experience in the arcade version, but without the loss of incremental amounts of money when trying to beat Kohlschreiber for the umpteenth time.

Obviously, the major part of the console version is World Tour, and the ability to create your own player. Yet again, this mode has been given an overhaul: splitting the season into the four major tournaments, played like a board game. The player is given a few different choices of moves to progress across the board. Along the way, you will encounter training, tournaments and press events. Press events, tournaments and practice matches earn stars, which in turn gain access into more prestigious tournaments and eventually seeding into the majors.

Unfortunately, with the revamp, the control of your player is reduced. No longer do mini-games improve the skills of your player, but only their conditioning. It is an unfortunate consequence of reducing freedom for a more structured campaign, as a player’s style is now dictated by a purchased tagline as opposed to their actual skills that have been developed.

Of course, in World Tour, you will also run into the Virtua Tennis staple, the mini-game. Virtua Tennis 4 introduces a whole new set of fun mini games to play to hone your skills with. Rallies with added wind or tuneable walls, smashing lines of plates, saving lines of chicklets, picking coins, dealing cards and blowing up the opposition are some of the ways you’ll be spending your time. Alternatively, for those feeling a little sore about England’s EURO exit, you can serve a few goals yourself.

These minigames are also available to play in party mode, where up to 4 players can duke it out in a duel for the greatest score, or go one on one in one of the rally games. There is also the possibility of playing these mini games against people remotely, in the online play modes.

Online play has also been included within the Virtua Tennis 4 package, and I’ll not beat about the bush, it’s pretty terrible. Granted, since launch, there have been some vast improvements, but there is still a lot of work to be done before it becomes ultimately acceptable.

Connectivity is absolutely woeful, with disconnects galore and violent lagging issues, even after the lengthy waits for opponents. Most people playing online will try and exploit the cheap options. Short slow serves are in abundance, and as such most games will boil down to who is better at the exploits. The inability to skip action replays, especially when they appear for the most mundane of finishes to rallies, also provides an additional annoyance when playing online. These problems afflict both quick and player matches, and make playing online a frightfully frustrating experience.

In conclusion, it can be seen that whilst Virtua Tennis 4 provides a good offering of tennis-based arcade fun. However, the move towards more realistic gameplay is one that more removes the soul from the title, as opposed to making it more tactical. Graphically still impressive, the detail from the third in the series is missing and makes it seemed rushed (albeit less so than the misstep that was Vitua Tennis 2009). The momentum bar is an interesting addition, but would be better without the arbitrary near-perfect finishing shot (which just looks ridiculous when combined with a jumping stretch for a ball out of reach).

It’s good, and fun to play, if a little frustrating at times. If you’re going to get it, I’d recommend almost completely ignoring the online play unless you have the patience of a saint. The roster is good, if a little outdated now, and generally World Tour is still enjoyable, but the lack of control over skill now may put people off. It may win the points, but due to its faults, it is generally on the second serve.

Score: 7/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.