GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why Rayman Legends Proves The Wii U Works"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 18/06/12 at 13:16
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
I was lucky enough to get the chance to head over to L.A. this year for E3 and among all the booth babes and free swag, there were actually some fantastic games to be played. After a fairly lengthy queue over at Ubisoft's section, I got the chance to try out what I believe to be the Wii U's best title shown so far. Check it out.

Rayman Origins was easily one of the most beautiful, genuinely enjoyable titles of last year and even though it may not have sold as well as it deserved, that hasn’t stopped Ubisoft from bringing the limbless hero back for one more adventure on the Wii U. Many will likely remember the leaked internal trailer from last month that featured a handful of unique Wii U features including online, time trails and use of the control’s NFC. What was shown at E3 however was simply an introduction to how Legend’s new character Murphy will work using the Wii U control’s touch screen.

Legend’s platforming handles in pretty much the same way Origins did. You’re still running around 2D environments, jumping, punching and using your helicopter hair to glide all whilst collecting lums along the way. That hasn’t changed. What has however is the addition of a fifth player who controls a flying character called Murphy. This is where things go from awesome to… well even more awesome.

Using the touch pad and gyroscope of the Wii U controller, the player is able to manipulate the environment in order to (ideally) help the remaining four who control Rayman, Globox and the Teensies. This can entail simple actions such as raising platforms by moving them, cutting ropes by making a slice motion with your finger or simply hitting enemies the group would otherwise miss all done on the new touch pad. Even something as small as dragging your finger along a lum trail to double the amount collected felt rewarding and like the player with the pad was actually contributing.

The ideas didn’t end there though as plenty more interesting and clever ones showed just how much potential this new control has. One section for example had a series of symbols that when approached would either produce a platform or suddenly appear with deadly spikes. Playing as Rayman I had no idea looking at the television which ones were safe and which ones were dangerous, however the Ubisoft rep using Murphy had the advantage of seeing on the Wii U pad’s screen just exactly where I needed to go. This is where communication was key as one false move meant instant death. Another highlight had the player tilting the Wii U pad to rotate a giant maze on screen. Just when it looked like my path was blocked by spikes, Murphy would rotate the environment 180 degrees and I could move on.

The best part of the demo however came at the end with a stage that featured the same pace of the treasure chest stages in Origins but with the added bonus of rhythm and Murphy. Whilst running along the level both the players using Rayman and co. and also the player using Murphy could perform tasks in time with the background music for bonus lums. The platformers would spin to knock over bone piles in the way while Murphy could touch buttons in the environment.

It’s this idea of gamers playing the same game on the same console but having completely different experiences that really show the potential this new console has. My friend could be running and avoiding fire breathing dragons with Rayman whilst I’m trying to attack the same beasts with a giant slingshot via the pad’s touch screen. It’s these moments that simply can’t be done on another console and showcase why it’s worth investing in this new venture. Whereas New Super Mario Bros U’S Wii U pad functionality felt hollow and void of much depth, Rayman Legends offers users the chance to feel as much involved as the people actually platforming.

While not shown I was told that online would be featured in some form, most likely time trials and leaderboards. No response was given however for any NFC features.

Visually the game retains the same gorgeous art-style that amazed last year but this time with an added sheen that now gives characters and the environment a three dimensional feel thanks to its new lighting engine. Judging by the title it appears the game will move from Rayman’s world to that of a more fairy tale style setting. Shown were castles and dungeons that looked like they were taken straight out of a kid’s storybook. A twisted one I’ll give you that, but a unique one nonetheless. Also don’t forget this is all now if beautiful HD.

While Nintendo failed to blow me away with their latest Mario effort of the Wii U, Ubisoft has shown me just how much a co-op platformer can benefit from this console. With the same crazy style that made the Rayman Origins so fantastic and a genuine unique use for the new controller, the mind truly boggles as to what the extremely creative Michel Ancel and his team have in store for us when the game ships later this year.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Mon 18/06/12 at 13:16
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
I was lucky enough to get the chance to head over to L.A. this year for E3 and among all the booth babes and free swag, there were actually some fantastic games to be played. After a fairly lengthy queue over at Ubisoft's section, I got the chance to try out what I believe to be the Wii U's best title shown so far. Check it out.

Rayman Origins was easily one of the most beautiful, genuinely enjoyable titles of last year and even though it may not have sold as well as it deserved, that hasn’t stopped Ubisoft from bringing the limbless hero back for one more adventure on the Wii U. Many will likely remember the leaked internal trailer from last month that featured a handful of unique Wii U features including online, time trails and use of the control’s NFC. What was shown at E3 however was simply an introduction to how Legend’s new character Murphy will work using the Wii U control’s touch screen.

Legend’s platforming handles in pretty much the same way Origins did. You’re still running around 2D environments, jumping, punching and using your helicopter hair to glide all whilst collecting lums along the way. That hasn’t changed. What has however is the addition of a fifth player who controls a flying character called Murphy. This is where things go from awesome to… well even more awesome.

Using the touch pad and gyroscope of the Wii U controller, the player is able to manipulate the environment in order to (ideally) help the remaining four who control Rayman, Globox and the Teensies. This can entail simple actions such as raising platforms by moving them, cutting ropes by making a slice motion with your finger or simply hitting enemies the group would otherwise miss all done on the new touch pad. Even something as small as dragging your finger along a lum trail to double the amount collected felt rewarding and like the player with the pad was actually contributing.

The ideas didn’t end there though as plenty more interesting and clever ones showed just how much potential this new control has. One section for example had a series of symbols that when approached would either produce a platform or suddenly appear with deadly spikes. Playing as Rayman I had no idea looking at the television which ones were safe and which ones were dangerous, however the Ubisoft rep using Murphy had the advantage of seeing on the Wii U pad’s screen just exactly where I needed to go. This is where communication was key as one false move meant instant death. Another highlight had the player tilting the Wii U pad to rotate a giant maze on screen. Just when it looked like my path was blocked by spikes, Murphy would rotate the environment 180 degrees and I could move on.

The best part of the demo however came at the end with a stage that featured the same pace of the treasure chest stages in Origins but with the added bonus of rhythm and Murphy. Whilst running along the level both the players using Rayman and co. and also the player using Murphy could perform tasks in time with the background music for bonus lums. The platformers would spin to knock over bone piles in the way while Murphy could touch buttons in the environment.

It’s this idea of gamers playing the same game on the same console but having completely different experiences that really show the potential this new console has. My friend could be running and avoiding fire breathing dragons with Rayman whilst I’m trying to attack the same beasts with a giant slingshot via the pad’s touch screen. It’s these moments that simply can’t be done on another console and showcase why it’s worth investing in this new venture. Whereas New Super Mario Bros U’S Wii U pad functionality felt hollow and void of much depth, Rayman Legends offers users the chance to feel as much involved as the people actually platforming.

While not shown I was told that online would be featured in some form, most likely time trials and leaderboards. No response was given however for any NFC features.

Visually the game retains the same gorgeous art-style that amazed last year but this time with an added sheen that now gives characters and the environment a three dimensional feel thanks to its new lighting engine. Judging by the title it appears the game will move from Rayman’s world to that of a more fairy tale style setting. Shown were castles and dungeons that looked like they were taken straight out of a kid’s storybook. A twisted one I’ll give you that, but a unique one nonetheless. Also don’t forget this is all now if beautiful HD.

While Nintendo failed to blow me away with their latest Mario effort of the Wii U, Ubisoft has shown me just how much a co-op platformer can benefit from this console. With the same crazy style that made the Rayman Origins so fantastic and a genuine unique use for the new controller, the mind truly boggles as to what the extremely creative Michel Ancel and his team have in store for us when the game ships later this year.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.