GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Do England have a shot at the Euros?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 16/06/12 at 21:27
Regular
"How Ironic"
The group stages are about to wind down, and so far, it's not gone catastrophic for England. A tight draw against France and a goal-filled victory against Sweden, a side we always have trouble against, sees us second in Group D. With our last game being against Ukraine, a team who also managed to beat Sweden, but lost out to the French, most smart money would go on an England victory for the last game. It would be foolish to underestimate the advantage of being a host nation though, as the underdogs Poland have proven in Group A. Of course, the group is that close, we may only need a draw against Ukraine to see us through to the next round. Most England fans will probably be content with this, but if we're in it to win it, competition against the likes of Spain, Italy, Croatia, Germany and Portugal seems a daunting prospect. So what do England need to do to better their chances?

Well, from what I've seen so far, defence against set pieces has been catastrophic. As was pointed out on MOTD the other night, the likes of Joleon Lescott should be in the heart of the defence right in front of Joe Hart when defending set pieces, not smaller and weaker players like Ashley Cole. The fullbacks have been a mixed bag in this tournament for us. Ashley Cole thus far hasn't impressed, particularly against Sweden where he was so far up the pitch, we might as well have had 3 men at the back. Glen Johnson on the other hand has been the pole opposite. At club level, he's often been criticised for being unable to defend, but against Sweden particularly, he was a first class full back. So defensively, set pieces seem to be the biggest threat. Lescott and even Carroll (for corner and free kicks) should be at the heart of the defence ready to outjump the smaller spaniards and the likes. Goalkeeping wise, Joe Hart is always favourite to start. He's a good keeper, and if anyone wants to complain about him, my one question is who would you have in goal instead?

Midfield wise, we haven't had too much trouble, but there are a few problems. The most notable disruption seems to be James Milner on the right wing. For every decent cross he puts in, he over works the ball on numerous occassions instead of playing a ball in. I'd be ordering Milner to keep the passes simple, to stop cutting inside so often and to get a good cross in. Walcott made a show of Milner yesterday, with Jimmy not making any impact all game, only for Theo to show him how it's done in a quarter of the time with a goal and an assist. In my opinion, Walcott deserves the start for the final group game because he looks more than an impact substitute which many are labelling him. On the other wing, Ashley Young has been dangerous at times. against France, he was a great winger, but last night he didn't put up to much of a good show. Thankfully for him, there aren't many claims for the left wing, so he can consider his position in the team safe for now. I've not got too many complaints in central midfield. I think Steven Gerrard has been a great central man and captain, his long ball to Carroll yesterday showing exactly what he's about. If he could connect passes like that more often, we'd be in a more comfortable position as a team for sure. Scott Parker has been one of England's best players in my opinion. I love to watch him play because he's full of passion for his country, and you see it every game. No worries there. Who's Frank Lampard?

Up the top is a very mixed bag. We've got Welbeck who hasn't been brilliant, but scored a promising goal yesterday against the Swedes thanks to his link up play with Walcott. I'd love to see Rooney, Welbeck and Walcott mixing it up at the top of the field against Ukraine. Carroll hasn't had too much of a chance thus far. What we've seen from him so far is his brute strength which drew a few whistles from the referee, and a stunning header near the edge of the box. Carroll does seem to be getting better, and between him and Welbeck, it would be Carroll had Rooney not been returning next game. As it is, I think some Man Utd magic would do England a world of good.

And finally the man who brings them all together Roy Hodgson. Wasn't too sure what to make of the appointment at first. It wasn't too long ago since he was managing my team, Liverpool, and that didn't go well at all. But watching England's friendly games, you could see instantly how the squad had adjusted to Roy's style of defense. England are certainly playing a different style than we've seen in the past. Lets hope we keep him for more than one or two tournaments, and give him a chance to engrave his philosophy on the national team, because different managers resulting in different styles of play certainly isn't helping England's cause.

The most important factor for England is fan support. This is the first time that I've heard football pundits admit that there's no high expectation for England. There's usually a ridiculous build-up of 'this is our year'. I'm sure you remember the 3 Lions song being released with the line '30 years of hurt' in 1996. It's soon to be 46 years of hurt, and they're lyrics that anybody would have difficulty squeezing into a song. I think most fans would be happy to go out to somebody like Spain respectfully in the quarter finals. It's quite a while now since England have won anything or looked like winning anything. Several generations of great players have come through the squad and left with nothing to show for it. Sure we've had some close calls and bad decisions, but 46 years of them? It's not an excuse.

So, no. England don't have a realistic shot at the Euros. We should be through the group stages (touch wood) and depending on who we meet in the quarter finals, the best we could honestly hope for is a spirited semi-final defeat. You get a feeling that one of these years when we least expect it that England are going to make a run for the European Cup or World Cup and catch us all off guard.

Anyway, that's my little analysis of England so far. How do you think England will do? Will they top the group? Will they beat Ukraine? How far will they get? Who have been the key players? Is Roy the right man for the job?

Some, if not all will disagree with me, so leave your opinions below!
Sat 16/06/12 at 21:27
Regular
"How Ironic"
The group stages are about to wind down, and so far, it's not gone catastrophic for England. A tight draw against France and a goal-filled victory against Sweden, a side we always have trouble against, sees us second in Group D. With our last game being against Ukraine, a team who also managed to beat Sweden, but lost out to the French, most smart money would go on an England victory for the last game. It would be foolish to underestimate the advantage of being a host nation though, as the underdogs Poland have proven in Group A. Of course, the group is that close, we may only need a draw against Ukraine to see us through to the next round. Most England fans will probably be content with this, but if we're in it to win it, competition against the likes of Spain, Italy, Croatia, Germany and Portugal seems a daunting prospect. So what do England need to do to better their chances?

Well, from what I've seen so far, defence against set pieces has been catastrophic. As was pointed out on MOTD the other night, the likes of Joleon Lescott should be in the heart of the defence right in front of Joe Hart when defending set pieces, not smaller and weaker players like Ashley Cole. The fullbacks have been a mixed bag in this tournament for us. Ashley Cole thus far hasn't impressed, particularly against Sweden where he was so far up the pitch, we might as well have had 3 men at the back. Glen Johnson on the other hand has been the pole opposite. At club level, he's often been criticised for being unable to defend, but against Sweden particularly, he was a first class full back. So defensively, set pieces seem to be the biggest threat. Lescott and even Carroll (for corner and free kicks) should be at the heart of the defence ready to outjump the smaller spaniards and the likes. Goalkeeping wise, Joe Hart is always favourite to start. He's a good keeper, and if anyone wants to complain about him, my one question is who would you have in goal instead?

Midfield wise, we haven't had too much trouble, but there are a few problems. The most notable disruption seems to be James Milner on the right wing. For every decent cross he puts in, he over works the ball on numerous occassions instead of playing a ball in. I'd be ordering Milner to keep the passes simple, to stop cutting inside so often and to get a good cross in. Walcott made a show of Milner yesterday, with Jimmy not making any impact all game, only for Theo to show him how it's done in a quarter of the time with a goal and an assist. In my opinion, Walcott deserves the start for the final group game because he looks more than an impact substitute which many are labelling him. On the other wing, Ashley Young has been dangerous at times. against France, he was a great winger, but last night he didn't put up to much of a good show. Thankfully for him, there aren't many claims for the left wing, so he can consider his position in the team safe for now. I've not got too many complaints in central midfield. I think Steven Gerrard has been a great central man and captain, his long ball to Carroll yesterday showing exactly what he's about. If he could connect passes like that more often, we'd be in a more comfortable position as a team for sure. Scott Parker has been one of England's best players in my opinion. I love to watch him play because he's full of passion for his country, and you see it every game. No worries there. Who's Frank Lampard?

Up the top is a very mixed bag. We've got Welbeck who hasn't been brilliant, but scored a promising goal yesterday against the Swedes thanks to his link up play with Walcott. I'd love to see Rooney, Welbeck and Walcott mixing it up at the top of the field against Ukraine. Carroll hasn't had too much of a chance thus far. What we've seen from him so far is his brute strength which drew a few whistles from the referee, and a stunning header near the edge of the box. Carroll does seem to be getting better, and between him and Welbeck, it would be Carroll had Rooney not been returning next game. As it is, I think some Man Utd magic would do England a world of good.

And finally the man who brings them all together Roy Hodgson. Wasn't too sure what to make of the appointment at first. It wasn't too long ago since he was managing my team, Liverpool, and that didn't go well at all. But watching England's friendly games, you could see instantly how the squad had adjusted to Roy's style of defense. England are certainly playing a different style than we've seen in the past. Lets hope we keep him for more than one or two tournaments, and give him a chance to engrave his philosophy on the national team, because different managers resulting in different styles of play certainly isn't helping England's cause.

The most important factor for England is fan support. This is the first time that I've heard football pundits admit that there's no high expectation for England. There's usually a ridiculous build-up of 'this is our year'. I'm sure you remember the 3 Lions song being released with the line '30 years of hurt' in 1996. It's soon to be 46 years of hurt, and they're lyrics that anybody would have difficulty squeezing into a song. I think most fans would be happy to go out to somebody like Spain respectfully in the quarter finals. It's quite a while now since England have won anything or looked like winning anything. Several generations of great players have come through the squad and left with nothing to show for it. Sure we've had some close calls and bad decisions, but 46 years of them? It's not an excuse.

So, no. England don't have a realistic shot at the Euros. We should be through the group stages (touch wood) and depending on who we meet in the quarter finals, the best we could honestly hope for is a spirited semi-final defeat. You get a feeling that one of these years when we least expect it that England are going to make a run for the European Cup or World Cup and catch us all off guard.

Anyway, that's my little analysis of England so far. How do you think England will do? Will they top the group? Will they beat Ukraine? How far will they get? Who have been the key players? Is Roy the right man for the job?

Some, if not all will disagree with me, so leave your opinions below!
Sat 16/06/12 at 22:20
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Seems rather like a way to up your posting stats actually SC ;¬) But to respond to your rather long-winded question - no chance!

England, if they qualify, face Spain, Italy or Croatia at the moment in the first knockout. I'd only give them a chance, in this scenario, against Italy.
Sat 16/06/12 at 22:22
Regular
"Monochromatic"
As much chance as Greece had in 2004.
If Rooney comes in in-form against the Ukraine then I might just start believing it's possible but quite honestly I'm not his biggest fan. It's actually been Gerrard who has been most impressive so far, it's about time too.
Sat 16/06/12 at 22:30
Regular
"How Ironic"
Nin wrote:
As much chance as Greece had in 2004.
If Rooney comes in in-form against the Ukraine then I might just start believing it's possible but quite honestly I'm not his biggest fan. It's actually been Gerrard who has been most impressive so far, it's about time too.

Yeah, shame Gerrard's left it a bit late. Think Parker really frees up Gerrard in the middle though. Lampard and Gerrard used to both sit back a bit and get nothing done up the top. Think you're right about Rooney too. Really missing a decent finisher up the top. Welbeck and Carroll don't quite cut it at the moment.

And I think deep down I'm secretly hoping Greece pull it off again.

@DL You sir are too suspicious ;-)
Sun 17/06/12 at 08:47
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Cautious I think ;¬)
However well done to Greece and if they can do it, then maybe England can.

Have to agree with Nin though - spot on.
Sun 17/06/12 at 10:41
Regular
"How Ironic"
Has to be:

Hart

Johnson Terry Lescott Cole

Walcott Gerrard Parker Young

Rooney Welbeck

Think the likes of Martin Kelly, Leighton Baines and Stewart Downing were put in the squad on the off chance that we might qualify after 2 games and Roy could give them a run out.

Up the top could be combination of either Rooney and Welbeck/Carroll. Wouldn't surprise me to see Milner start despite the fact that Walcott deserves his place in the squad from recent performances.

Who knows, we might even see a change of goalkeeper just to mix things up, but that's the line-up I'd be playing.
Tue 19/06/12 at 15:27
Regular
"How Ironic"
Big game tonight. Here's hoping we come first and get a match-up with Italy.
Tue 19/06/12 at 23:05
Regular
"How Ironic"
Well we've got a good opportunity to make a run for the semis. We've beaten Spain before now, so who knows, we might even make the final.

Gerrard yet again being our best player. Great little move on the wing, Rooney making sure it went in. Rooney was actually pretty awful tonight. As for Welbeck, well I wouldn't have even noticed him on the field had I not read the starting line-up. Ashley Young was too quiet as well. Milner, well, what is he doing the squad? Walcott should be starting every game as mentioned before. Milner wouldn't know a decent cross if it hit him in the face. Actually, a ball hitting Milner in the face sounds decent to me...

Which leads me onto Scott Parker. After Gerrard, he has to be next for England praise. He's been gutsy every game, and he took one to the face for England tonight. I thought John Terry's famous fish dive was patriotic, but Parker is something else. Lescott and Terry were good tonight. Terry did well to clear off the line, even if it was technically in. Johnson had an average game. Ashley Cole doesn't seem to be hitting his full potential right now.

Joe Hart, same performance as always. Solid between the sticks.

Glad we're through to Italy. Reckon we've got a real chance against the Italians.
Wed 20/06/12 at 09:04
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
That quarter final has the potential to be the worst game of all time. It has 0-0 written all over it, I would be surprised if there was a shot.

I'm glad I will miss it by being on a plane.
Wed 20/06/12 at 10:55
Regular
"And in last place.."
I see having an official at the goal line doesn't make much difference.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.