GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How paranoid are you?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 10/09/07 at 13:42
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
I had a thought a while back when I was watching The Real Hustle on BBC3, but forgot to post it here, and now I've just remembered. I can't remember if it was on here or on another forum that I use, but I remember a topic with a similar title (I think), which discussed how self-conscious you were about leaving your own home due to the sudden rise in the amount of shootings in the streets. Instead, this topic concerns itself with the measures you take to protect your identity. So, moving on...

Prepare yourself - there are a lot of questions coming! But remember, this is my style of topic. Don't treat it like a questionnaire. These questions are only here to give you an idea of things to discuss in this topic.

How do you feel about disclosing your details? Who would you disclose them to? When buying things, what places do you go to, and how do you go about finding new places to shop? Remember, that finding a new place to shop means that if you buy something there, you're disclosing your details to a shop which is effectively a stranger to you.

How do you balance out security and convenience? Do you have all your passwords saved on your computer so that the form AutoCompletes? And what security do you have on your wireless network, if you have one? Do you have a firewall too? And do you have anything like a firewall, spy/as/malware detection, etc?

When you receieve a suspicious email, how do you deal with it? If it appears to come from someone you know or a company you know, but is somewhat suspicious, what do you do? What are you like for clicking links and making sure they go to the correct place? Do you (know how to) check email headers to make sure the email isn't phished?

And moving away from the computer a bit now - what do you carry around with you in the street? Do you prefer to pay for things with card or cash? What's the max amount of money that you ever take with you? How do you feel about people giving you suspicious looks because you're young?

Also, what are you like with public amenities? In one episode of The Real Hustle, they set up a fake cash machine i nthe middle of the street. It looked like a cash machine, but it was kind of like a booth in the middle of the pavement, and only said "Cash" on it to make it look legit. How would you feel about that? Would you use it? Or are you the sort of person who only ever withdraws cash from a machine affiliated or directly connected to a bank? What things do you do when you go up to a cash machine anyway? Do you check it out before using it to make sure it's safe?

And how do you feel about using Chip and PIN in a shop? Do you cover the machine with your other hand whilst you type in your PIN in case of any shoulder surfers? And speaking of Chip and PIN - on the same aforementioned episode of The Real Hustle, a woman was seen applying for a job. She was entering her details into a computer for the application. Would you question the reason for them asking for things like your bank details, or would you just do it through fear of making them think you don't trust them and hence risk losing the job? Also, at the end of the form that she was filling in, she was asked for a 4-digit numerical code to protect her application. She used her bank card's PIN number. What would you do?

Okay, that'll do.

Discuss!
Sun 16/09/07 at 20:51
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
I got Einstein too.

Cant decide if I want to destroy or save the world though.
decisions decisions...
Sun 16/09/07 at 20:46
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
I did the leader test, or at least, what I believed to be the leader test and it says I'm... Einstein.

http://images.similarminds.com/leader/5.jpg

o_o
Sun 16/09/07 at 11:34
Regular
"Mooching around"
Ah so it is, cheers Garin.

As for the leadership test, turns out I'm JFK too :)
Sat 15/09/07 at 20:35
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Chaos wrote:
> I'll post a thread with a couple in tomorrow.

Heres the old thread you created.

Just did the test again actually, apparently I've become more paranoid and less intellectual. :)
Sat 15/09/07 at 18:27
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Yet.
Sat 15/09/07 at 18:07
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
Try the leadership test on that site; apparently I'm JFK, which is odd as I wouldn't class myself as liberal, and I don't come from a wealthy background!

And no one's ever tried to shoot me.
Fri 14/09/07 at 23:42
Regular
"Mooching around"
I'll post a thread with a couple in tomorrow.

A couple of years ago I got 73%, that's the highest i've ever had it. So you beat me on all fronts =D
Fri 14/09/07 at 23:28
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
76% here, is it a good thing that I beat you? :)

These tests are a good laugh, and it's actually quite accurate in places, I reckon. Low stability results? Damn, I must be about to fall over...
Fri 14/09/07 at 23:17
Regular
"Mooching around"
According to my psycho-analysis test, I'm 54% paranoid.
Fri 14/09/07 at 22:13
"possibly impossible"
I don't think Credit Cards themselves cause debt, its people's willpower when faced with the fact they can spend money they don't have.

I have several cards, one is a 0% being paid off over 9 months, which will have the balance paid at the time, and the other is a day to day one that gets paid in full each month.

Why have one? £40-£50 a week for petrol, £100 a week for the supermarket, money for toys and other things for the kids, swimming lessons etc etc. Not to mention stuff bought on the internet.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.