GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Too Many Marios"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 13/05/12 at 21:50
Regular
When someone says the name Nintendo to you, what is the first thing that springs to mind? Is it Shigeru Miyamoto wielding a sword and shield at at E3 conference? Is it zero-suit Samus fighting an electric-mouse in a random mash-up fighting game? No. Chances are you instantly think of a short fat moustachioed Italian plumber wearing dungarees and a red cap trying to rescue a princess who lives in a magical mushroom land, who is more than likely held captive by an oversized turtle named Bowser. That’s what comes to my mind anyway, and for good reason too.

Mario first appeared in the 1981 arcade release of Donkey Kong. Since then, he has appeared in various games of all genres (is typing a game genre?) and has had, until Wii Sports, the best selling title to ever hit the gaming world, Super Mario Bros. There are very few types of game Mario has not been a part of, and love him or hate him, even the third party gaming companies respect him such as Ubisoft’s Assassins Creed II where Ezio’s uncle is introduced with the classic line, “It’sa me, Mario!” So it is safe to say that, for Nintendo, and the gaming community, Mario is a big thing.

Anyways, Nintendo recently made a presentation in both Japan and Europe called Nintendo Direct which covered many things, mainly Nintendo 3DS related. We had a Wii 20th Anniversary compilation game announced for the Kirby series, a file system for the 3DS to better access your games and apps, and the ability to patch games where necessary, such as for Mario Kart 7 where an infamous unintended shortcut has caused a stir in the Mario Karting community. But what was the biggest surprise to most gamers was the sudden announcement of New Super Mario Bros. 2 for the 3DS. I am assuming this is a sequel to the DS title, rather than the Wii (which are both great but play very differently) and seems to look very similar from the screenshots released. But are we ready for a new Super Mario Bros. game yet?

In the last year or two we have seen a plethora of Mario games released or announced – from Mario Kart 7 to Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games 2012. From Mario Tennis to Mario Party 9; There is even a Super Paper Mario game in development and we have recently had Super Mario Land 3DS, and Nintendo have reportedly registered the domain for Super Mario 4. If we look at the 3DS virtual console we have also seen releases of Donkey Kong (on the ambassadors program), Mario: March of the Minis (again on the ambassadors program), Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Land, Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins and Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land. Is there room for more?

I personally worry as a fan of the Mario series that I may find this game too samey in comparison with recent modern releases. After all, Super Mario Bros 2 felt different to the original. Super Mario Bros 3 went back to its roots but added new abilities. Super Mario World was a brilliant step forward and who could forget playing Super Mario 64 for the first time? Then Super Mario Sunshine on the GameCube followed by Super Mario Galaxy 1&2 on the Wii, then the New Super Mario Bros. games, it is safe to say there have been significant changes between each step in the major game series. Even the Game Boy games were different enough. But New Super Mario Bros. 2 looks much alike the DS title, and if it doesn’t have the right feel, or its only major difference is 3D graphics on the 2D platformer, I feel Nintendo could be shooting themselves in the foot with the mighty mascot.

There is also the worry over third party developers. And whilst I reserve my anticipation levels on the next Arkham game, Assassins Creed and Aliens games for the Wii U (most developers seem to pull out last minute before a Nintendo release) it is good to see big announcements for the next Nintendo system. Aiming to pack a punch with its new controller, promise of PS3 beating graphics (if only just) and hopefully a much better download shop, it is great to see third parties are getting excited for the launch too. But we don’t want our 3DS’s to be forgotten about. Third parties traditionally avoid releasing games when Nintendo do due to Nintendo gamers preference for the Nintendo experiences. Whilst we have massive selling DS and Wii games by third parties, it is safe to say the majority of these were not released around the same time as Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart or Zelda. So could Nintendo be overcrowding their own system with Mario games?

Well in this case I think not. New Super Mario Bros. 2 is set for release in August which is at the end of the summer lull. This, as my wording suggests, is a period where gamers go outside for a few months (or days if, like me, you’re in Wales), and enjoy the bright light, the warmth and a brief breath of fresh air before the cold comes back in and forces us back into our koopa shells for the winter. Nintendo are expecting the 3DS Mario Bros. game to be a hit, which is understandable based on previous Mario releases, so they can take the gamble of releasing it during the quiet period. Not to mention that Mario games are the kind that will sell months and months after release at a fairly steady level, so whilst it may not necessarily stay in the gaming charts long, it will still make a fair sum of money for Iwata and company to turn into profits. This leaves the remaining four months open for third parties to do their worst (or hopefully their best) and release some big hitters.

What has to be remembered is that a large number of third party (and some Nintendo!) games on the DS and 3DS should be classified as C.R.A.P. or Couldn’t Realise Any Potential. If you don’t believe me, support your local GAME or indie store and buy some cheap DS games you think look slightly interesting on the cover but have either never heard of or just never thought of playing before. I promise you will be disappointed. So whilst third parties do have a point about sales being dominated by Nintendo titles when Nintendo titles are released, not all third parties can use this excuse to blame poor sales upon.

So, ultimately, I welcome New Super Mario Bros. 2 and look forward to trying it in the late summer. But be warned Nintendo, I will make a judgement upon thee based on that release!
Sat 26/05/12 at 19:31
Regular
So if it's because I'm beating them, does that mean that Mario games are getting easier?
Tue 22/05/12 at 21:25
Regular
I say there are not too many marios its simply beating them too much and I AM A GIRL!!!! I am not tired of Mario
Thu 17/05/12 at 16:19
Regular
I did that things were repeated a little too often with Galaxy 2. It was essentially the same game but with new stages and a few new tweaks. It did start feeling a bit of a chore to play after a while - but then again so did the first Galaxy game.

But then when New Super Mario Bros Wii came out with its up-to-4player gameplay I was very impressed - it was a complete change in the series yet it felt just as good as playing the original Super Mario Bros.

I just don't want Mario games getting stale.

And whilst I'm here - thanks Freeola for the GAD :)
Wed 16/05/12 at 12:22
"possibly impossible"
You can never, ever, have too many Marios. This is fact.

You can, however, have too little time to play them all.
Mon 14/05/12 at 09:34
Regular
What about the jump between SMG and SMG2? I never played the first one, but from gameplay videos I didn't see major differences. Not to mention a throwback to the N64 whomp king. If little changes were made woudn't you consider them lazy to make SMG3 for the Wii U?

Then again having the levels designed around the new suits was a difference. Facing the whomp king again was a nostalgia filled moment, but then I looked at videos of the bosses in N64 and didn't remeber how most of them died in one hit. They seemed harder as a kid >.<

I quit at trying to complete the Perfect Run with the hammer throwing koopas, so it felt like I never finished SMG2.
Sun 13/05/12 at 22:45
Regular
Atleast with RPG/action games they can create new stories, or extensions to current ones and for the most part they'll seem fresh enough. The Zelda series has so many generations it can always fall back on, and different styles of play, that they could go back to any of them in the future and update the engine for the latest Nintendo systems to create a new adventure - that may even buy them more time to create a brand new one then.

With the Mario games, they're at risk of getting a bit too lazy - Super Mario 3D land was different enough (but not as enjoyable as Super Mario 64/Sunshine/Galaxy but the New Super Mario Bros games are too similar to each other - I want something new to the formula. I would even accept a graphical step back (like when Paper Mario was created) to do something new but in the same style of game play. Either that, or if they created something like Galaxy or Super Mario 64 for the 3DS/Wii U.

So I'm really not sure about the Wii U game. I hope its good, but I'm not holding my breath.
Sun 13/05/12 at 22:17
Regular
I'll be getting Darksiders II in august to get my Zelda fix. If only there were too many Zeldas. They take too long to make :D

I'm guessing it isn't one of the titles you're considering to get on the Wii U.
Sun 13/05/12 at 21:50
Regular
When someone says the name Nintendo to you, what is the first thing that springs to mind? Is it Shigeru Miyamoto wielding a sword and shield at at E3 conference? Is it zero-suit Samus fighting an electric-mouse in a random mash-up fighting game? No. Chances are you instantly think of a short fat moustachioed Italian plumber wearing dungarees and a red cap trying to rescue a princess who lives in a magical mushroom land, who is more than likely held captive by an oversized turtle named Bowser. That’s what comes to my mind anyway, and for good reason too.

Mario first appeared in the 1981 arcade release of Donkey Kong. Since then, he has appeared in various games of all genres (is typing a game genre?) and has had, until Wii Sports, the best selling title to ever hit the gaming world, Super Mario Bros. There are very few types of game Mario has not been a part of, and love him or hate him, even the third party gaming companies respect him such as Ubisoft’s Assassins Creed II where Ezio’s uncle is introduced with the classic line, “It’sa me, Mario!” So it is safe to say that, for Nintendo, and the gaming community, Mario is a big thing.

Anyways, Nintendo recently made a presentation in both Japan and Europe called Nintendo Direct which covered many things, mainly Nintendo 3DS related. We had a Wii 20th Anniversary compilation game announced for the Kirby series, a file system for the 3DS to better access your games and apps, and the ability to patch games where necessary, such as for Mario Kart 7 where an infamous unintended shortcut has caused a stir in the Mario Karting community. But what was the biggest surprise to most gamers was the sudden announcement of New Super Mario Bros. 2 for the 3DS. I am assuming this is a sequel to the DS title, rather than the Wii (which are both great but play very differently) and seems to look very similar from the screenshots released. But are we ready for a new Super Mario Bros. game yet?

In the last year or two we have seen a plethora of Mario games released or announced – from Mario Kart 7 to Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games 2012. From Mario Tennis to Mario Party 9; There is even a Super Paper Mario game in development and we have recently had Super Mario Land 3DS, and Nintendo have reportedly registered the domain for Super Mario 4. If we look at the 3DS virtual console we have also seen releases of Donkey Kong (on the ambassadors program), Mario: March of the Minis (again on the ambassadors program), Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Land, Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins and Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land. Is there room for more?

I personally worry as a fan of the Mario series that I may find this game too samey in comparison with recent modern releases. After all, Super Mario Bros 2 felt different to the original. Super Mario Bros 3 went back to its roots but added new abilities. Super Mario World was a brilliant step forward and who could forget playing Super Mario 64 for the first time? Then Super Mario Sunshine on the GameCube followed by Super Mario Galaxy 1&2 on the Wii, then the New Super Mario Bros. games, it is safe to say there have been significant changes between each step in the major game series. Even the Game Boy games were different enough. But New Super Mario Bros. 2 looks much alike the DS title, and if it doesn’t have the right feel, or its only major difference is 3D graphics on the 2D platformer, I feel Nintendo could be shooting themselves in the foot with the mighty mascot.

There is also the worry over third party developers. And whilst I reserve my anticipation levels on the next Arkham game, Assassins Creed and Aliens games for the Wii U (most developers seem to pull out last minute before a Nintendo release) it is good to see big announcements for the next Nintendo system. Aiming to pack a punch with its new controller, promise of PS3 beating graphics (if only just) and hopefully a much better download shop, it is great to see third parties are getting excited for the launch too. But we don’t want our 3DS’s to be forgotten about. Third parties traditionally avoid releasing games when Nintendo do due to Nintendo gamers preference for the Nintendo experiences. Whilst we have massive selling DS and Wii games by third parties, it is safe to say the majority of these were not released around the same time as Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart or Zelda. So could Nintendo be overcrowding their own system with Mario games?

Well in this case I think not. New Super Mario Bros. 2 is set for release in August which is at the end of the summer lull. This, as my wording suggests, is a period where gamers go outside for a few months (or days if, like me, you’re in Wales), and enjoy the bright light, the warmth and a brief breath of fresh air before the cold comes back in and forces us back into our koopa shells for the winter. Nintendo are expecting the 3DS Mario Bros. game to be a hit, which is understandable based on previous Mario releases, so they can take the gamble of releasing it during the quiet period. Not to mention that Mario games are the kind that will sell months and months after release at a fairly steady level, so whilst it may not necessarily stay in the gaming charts long, it will still make a fair sum of money for Iwata and company to turn into profits. This leaves the remaining four months open for third parties to do their worst (or hopefully their best) and release some big hitters.

What has to be remembered is that a large number of third party (and some Nintendo!) games on the DS and 3DS should be classified as C.R.A.P. or Couldn’t Realise Any Potential. If you don’t believe me, support your local GAME or indie store and buy some cheap DS games you think look slightly interesting on the cover but have either never heard of or just never thought of playing before. I promise you will be disappointed. So whilst third parties do have a point about sales being dominated by Nintendo titles when Nintendo titles are released, not all third parties can use this excuse to blame poor sales upon.

So, ultimately, I welcome New Super Mario Bros. 2 and look forward to trying it in the late summer. But be warned Nintendo, I will make a judgement upon thee based on that release!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.