GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] EURO 2012 "

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'FIFA 12'.
Tue 01/05/12 at 21:00
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
EURO 2012 (FIFA 12 DLC) Review

For the purposes of this review, the Playstation 3 version has been used

As we bring the curtain down on the English domestic season, we see the emergence of yet another major international tournament. Two years removed from South Africa’s hosting of the FIFA World Cup, Poland and Ukraine host the European continent’s major competition, UEFA’s EURO 2012. And, as certain as the Earth revolves around the Sun, EA Sports will be involved.

Although not in the standard way, as this time the contest is not virtually represented with it’s own retail release (for the first time since EURO 96, as I believe this was licensed by SEGA). Instead, EA have opted for the added content approach as EURO 2012 is available as downloadable content for FIFA 12.

As you’d expect from DLC, EURO 2012 runs on FIFA 12’s engine, albeit slightly modified. The gameplay seems slower, bordering on sluggish. It’s a little difficult to get used to, and requires a lot more passing and possession play to succeed than perhaps the standard game. This can get a little frustrating to start off with, but it’s more inkeeping with how the international game is played, so it can’t really be given as a negative point, just a lost opportunity in providing the game as DLC as opposed to stand-alone.

As you would expect, EURO 2012 comes offering all European teams that took part in EURO 2012 qualifying, adding to those that did qualify. So for those wanting to see Liechtenstein or Kazakhstan lift the trophy, then you can give it a go as they are available. It would be nice, of course, to be able to play against some of the other international teams in friendlies, but it is hardly an unexpected omission.

Although from the catalogue of available teams, I have one major annoyance from the game. This can be explained in two words: Von Mistelroum (or if you prefer Farzel Haar). I thought we’d past the era of bad misspellings of names, and the fact that this is supposedly a licensed title extension makes it really unacceptable. Now, I could understand it for teams such as San Marino, that it may not be worth the time, effort and money to do so, but with teams who are in the tournament proper (like Ukraine), it is just poor and seemingly unnecessary. But no, we have to put up with Tomaschuk...

Alongside a beefed up international roster, the DLC offers additional balls and referees, as well as providing the eight official stadia that will be used from Poland and Ukraine. Most of these, of course, being merely aesthetic changes, but add a touch of authenticity to a package which is somewhat absent in previously mentioned parts of the game.

EURO 2012 is accessible through FIFA 12 but acts as an almost separate entity, with no crossovers for stats or anything else. So as such, the DLC comes with its own stack of game modes. As standard for these games, “Kick Off” comes as the standard team vs. team, with nothing to play for. This is an absolute must and the vanilla game mode for most sporting titles and this is no exception.

It also comes with a Challenge mode, which promises to bring all the best scenarios to recreate and/or change history from the tournament itself. Whilst I can’t say how well it will be done, as the tournament hasn’t started yet, I can say that it would be expected to follow a similar format to that of FIFA 12. Since release, the DLC has been offering challenges from the qualifying campaign for the enjoyment of players, but it will likely pick up in June.

As you would hope (and expect) from a game called EURO 2012, the EURO 2012 tournament is included. Unfortunately, the whole tournament isn’t available, as only the tournament proper is available to play. The lack of qualifying will be a little disappointing for those who prefer a full experience, and makes the game feel a little incomplete. However, the tournament teams are customizable, so dreams of taking the Faroe Islands to being champions have not been totally dashed by EA.

A quick note that I may point out: anyone playing as England will see that Rooney has had his ban miraculously overturned, which may be irritating to those wishing for a fully realistic and authentic representation of the finals, but I guess upholding the ban would be more annoying for those who don’t care about small details.

The online portion of the game also comes in tournament form. Selecting a team at the beginning, you play a plethora of other online players as you battle through the group stages and hopefully to the ultimate prize. Annoyingly, you can play against the same team twice in a tournament, which slaps the realism out of your mouth, but I suppose it’d be difficult to play against someone in the final who isn’t using one of the better teams...

The bulk of the DLC offerings comes from the new Expedition mode. For those of you who’ve had the pleasure of playing the rather amusing (newest) FIFA Street, the experience will seem fairly similar: you create a team, name a captain and attempt to conquer footballing Europe whilst stealing players from the teams you beat. It’s a fun mode that is a good addition, and probably the best part of the content, but it says something when the best part of a content is something that is nothing to do with the official license.

The EURO 2012 DLC does have its fair share of issues and oversights that contribute to an irritating experience. The squads are preset, and so will likely be inaccurate come the tournament (unless EA plan on providing a squad update). The inability to select the squad from a pool of international players is removing a freedom that some players, myself included, quite enjoy. The game also lacks the added detail that provided so much charm and authenticity to the experience in the 2010 World Cup game. Gone are the cutscenes, the managers on the touchline, replaced with nothing but the game as it is - generic. Add to this the patch to add EURO 2012 as an option into the original game causing the issue of game freezes after team management before matches to reoccur on slimline consoles, and you have a fairly unsuccessful launch.

In conclusion, it is hard to recommend this as a decent add on to the original FIFA 12 experience. Unlicensed international teams, a less enjoyable balance in the game engine with an offering of game modes that seems incomplete compared to what could be offered. On offer is an experience devoid of most of the genuine touches and details that set the tournaments apart from the yearly counterparts. And, at £16 (PSN), this is not exactly what you can call a small investment for DLC.

That being said, I have to admit that expedition is a lot of fun, and for football aficionados who are running to the end of the FIFA 12 lifespan, it should extend your interest until FIFA 13 arrives. However, be warned, that EURO 2012 only provides a fraction of what should be expected from an EA team that has reclaimed the throne in footballing games. It should be careful not to become complacent and lose it again.

And that’s exactly what it feels like: complacency…But let’s face it, it wouldn’t be a modern EA release without a certain amount of controversy to spark outcry, would it?

Score: 6.0/10
Thu 10/05/12 at 20:31
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
Well they've tried to do something similar with Expedition mode, as you can use a virtual pro from FIFA 12 as captain for it, if you wish. Now I have to say I do enjoy it, but it would have been better without the tuned gameplay (i.e. with FIFA 12's default).
Thu 10/05/12 at 18:23
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
It does disappoint me how poorly this DLC seems to have been handled. Even if you ignore the fact that half the players aren't correct, the fact that EA seem to have removed what was, in my opinion, the stand-out game mode of the World Cup 2010 game, Captain Your Country, means I will not be looking to download this.

This mode allowed up to 4 human players to create their own 'Virtual Pro', pick a country, and work through the entire qualifying schedule (including 'B' and friendly internationals) in an effort to improve enough to captain your country. This addition more than made up for the full-game price tag of WC2010 and, almost certainly, would have boosted download numbers and review scores, as this mode still gets played pretty frequently round mine.

Thanks for making my mind up for me on this one HF :)
Wed 02/05/12 at 17:10
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
SC: Yeah, the Rooney bit was more of a jab at the actual situation as opposed to a real go at EA, I wouldn't expect them to. And if they did they'd get a lot of backlash. I'll be honest though, FIFA 12 was very good, SSX is very good and I've only heard good things really on the Fight Night series this generation. EA's sports titles aren't that bad, they're just a big, and therefore easy, target for most people.

pb: Yeah, this DLC is horrendously overpriced for what it is, and what it is is incomplete. If Expedition didn't save the DLC, it'd be looking at a much lower score than 6...
Wed 02/05/12 at 09:57
"possibly impossible"
I'm not a huge footie fan, but even I'd baulk at paying money for something that only had half the teams in.
Wed 02/05/12 at 04:40
Regular
"How Ironic"
EA upholding Rooney's ban in-game? You must be joking, his ugly mug has been on the front cover for years. EA also have a habit of leaving bugs in, and ignoring them. I really can't understand how they're the biggest developers in the sports genre, or why people constantly buy their latest titles. I gave up in the end. Quality of games was getting worse and worse.
Tue 01/05/12 at 21:00
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
EURO 2012 (FIFA 12 DLC) Review

For the purposes of this review, the Playstation 3 version has been used

As we bring the curtain down on the English domestic season, we see the emergence of yet another major international tournament. Two years removed from South Africa’s hosting of the FIFA World Cup, Poland and Ukraine host the European continent’s major competition, UEFA’s EURO 2012. And, as certain as the Earth revolves around the Sun, EA Sports will be involved.

Although not in the standard way, as this time the contest is not virtually represented with it’s own retail release (for the first time since EURO 96, as I believe this was licensed by SEGA). Instead, EA have opted for the added content approach as EURO 2012 is available as downloadable content for FIFA 12.

As you’d expect from DLC, EURO 2012 runs on FIFA 12’s engine, albeit slightly modified. The gameplay seems slower, bordering on sluggish. It’s a little difficult to get used to, and requires a lot more passing and possession play to succeed than perhaps the standard game. This can get a little frustrating to start off with, but it’s more inkeeping with how the international game is played, so it can’t really be given as a negative point, just a lost opportunity in providing the game as DLC as opposed to stand-alone.

As you would expect, EURO 2012 comes offering all European teams that took part in EURO 2012 qualifying, adding to those that did qualify. So for those wanting to see Liechtenstein or Kazakhstan lift the trophy, then you can give it a go as they are available. It would be nice, of course, to be able to play against some of the other international teams in friendlies, but it is hardly an unexpected omission.

Although from the catalogue of available teams, I have one major annoyance from the game. This can be explained in two words: Von Mistelroum (or if you prefer Farzel Haar). I thought we’d past the era of bad misspellings of names, and the fact that this is supposedly a licensed title extension makes it really unacceptable. Now, I could understand it for teams such as San Marino, that it may not be worth the time, effort and money to do so, but with teams who are in the tournament proper (like Ukraine), it is just poor and seemingly unnecessary. But no, we have to put up with Tomaschuk...

Alongside a beefed up international roster, the DLC offers additional balls and referees, as well as providing the eight official stadia that will be used from Poland and Ukraine. Most of these, of course, being merely aesthetic changes, but add a touch of authenticity to a package which is somewhat absent in previously mentioned parts of the game.

EURO 2012 is accessible through FIFA 12 but acts as an almost separate entity, with no crossovers for stats or anything else. So as such, the DLC comes with its own stack of game modes. As standard for these games, “Kick Off” comes as the standard team vs. team, with nothing to play for. This is an absolute must and the vanilla game mode for most sporting titles and this is no exception.

It also comes with a Challenge mode, which promises to bring all the best scenarios to recreate and/or change history from the tournament itself. Whilst I can’t say how well it will be done, as the tournament hasn’t started yet, I can say that it would be expected to follow a similar format to that of FIFA 12. Since release, the DLC has been offering challenges from the qualifying campaign for the enjoyment of players, but it will likely pick up in June.

As you would hope (and expect) from a game called EURO 2012, the EURO 2012 tournament is included. Unfortunately, the whole tournament isn’t available, as only the tournament proper is available to play. The lack of qualifying will be a little disappointing for those who prefer a full experience, and makes the game feel a little incomplete. However, the tournament teams are customizable, so dreams of taking the Faroe Islands to being champions have not been totally dashed by EA.

A quick note that I may point out: anyone playing as England will see that Rooney has had his ban miraculously overturned, which may be irritating to those wishing for a fully realistic and authentic representation of the finals, but I guess upholding the ban would be more annoying for those who don’t care about small details.

The online portion of the game also comes in tournament form. Selecting a team at the beginning, you play a plethora of other online players as you battle through the group stages and hopefully to the ultimate prize. Annoyingly, you can play against the same team twice in a tournament, which slaps the realism out of your mouth, but I suppose it’d be difficult to play against someone in the final who isn’t using one of the better teams...

The bulk of the DLC offerings comes from the new Expedition mode. For those of you who’ve had the pleasure of playing the rather amusing (newest) FIFA Street, the experience will seem fairly similar: you create a team, name a captain and attempt to conquer footballing Europe whilst stealing players from the teams you beat. It’s a fun mode that is a good addition, and probably the best part of the content, but it says something when the best part of a content is something that is nothing to do with the official license.

The EURO 2012 DLC does have its fair share of issues and oversights that contribute to an irritating experience. The squads are preset, and so will likely be inaccurate come the tournament (unless EA plan on providing a squad update). The inability to select the squad from a pool of international players is removing a freedom that some players, myself included, quite enjoy. The game also lacks the added detail that provided so much charm and authenticity to the experience in the 2010 World Cup game. Gone are the cutscenes, the managers on the touchline, replaced with nothing but the game as it is - generic. Add to this the patch to add EURO 2012 as an option into the original game causing the issue of game freezes after team management before matches to reoccur on slimline consoles, and you have a fairly unsuccessful launch.

In conclusion, it is hard to recommend this as a decent add on to the original FIFA 12 experience. Unlicensed international teams, a less enjoyable balance in the game engine with an offering of game modes that seems incomplete compared to what could be offered. On offer is an experience devoid of most of the genuine touches and details that set the tournaments apart from the yearly counterparts. And, at £16 (PSN), this is not exactly what you can call a small investment for DLC.

That being said, I have to admit that expedition is a lot of fun, and for football aficionados who are running to the end of the FIFA 12 lifespan, it should extend your interest until FIFA 13 arrives. However, be warned, that EURO 2012 only provides a fraction of what should be expected from an EA team that has reclaimed the throne in footballing games. It should be careful not to become complacent and lose it again.

And that’s exactly what it feels like: complacency…But let’s face it, it wouldn’t be a modern EA release without a certain amount of controversy to spark outcry, would it?

Score: 6.0/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.