GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Eccles"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 06/09/07 at 12:16
Regular
Hello Eccles! Mmm I love eccles cakes by the way.

I wonder if you could help me (Or anyone else if possible). Sometimes when I surf the interwebs I find something that I quite fancy for my own site. Unfortunately I think Tony has blocked YouTube from your interwebs so I can't show you what I want to duplicate. For those who don't have it blocked I'd love to duplicate the global menu. Freeola have something similiar that they added recently on the MyFreeola page (the floating menu for the go back to: links). I'd like something like that but to only appear when clicked on.

Questions
What magic is doing this. Is it stable on other browsers. Is it easy to impliment and does anyone have any links or homemade scripts they could show me?

GO TEAM MACHIE!
Thu 06/09/07 at 12:16
Regular
Hello Eccles! Mmm I love eccles cakes by the way.

I wonder if you could help me (Or anyone else if possible). Sometimes when I surf the interwebs I find something that I quite fancy for my own site. Unfortunately I think Tony has blocked YouTube from your interwebs so I can't show you what I want to duplicate. For those who don't have it blocked I'd love to duplicate the global menu. Freeola have something similiar that they added recently on the MyFreeola page (the floating menu for the go back to: links). I'd like something like that but to only appear when clicked on.

Questions
What magic is doing this. Is it stable on other browsers. Is it easy to impliment and does anyone have any links or homemade scripts they could show me?

GO TEAM MACHIE!
Thu 06/09/07 at 12:32
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
The drop downs in MyFreeola are generated using Javascript. But you can do a similar thing in CSS. Have a good look around that site, it's extremely useful.
A Javascript example that's faily easy to implements is here.
That uses a javascript library called jQuery, which is very compact and easy to use. The setup instruction for that menu are here.

Hope that helps a bit.
Thu 06/09/07 at 14:47
Regular
Thank you very much Eccles =)

I tried to get the CSS one working and it did fine, but I cant seem to get it working in IE =( So I think I'll do it the old fashion way.

I have a dream, that one day websites with nice features will be accepted by all browsers.
Thu 06/09/07 at 18:12
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
A JavaScript menu is far easier to implement than CSS ones, which do tend to have lots of cross-browser issues.

The one used in MyFreeola took very limited tweaking for IE and it works fine in all the browsers we tested (for both PC and Mac).

I'd recommend checking out this site.
Thu 06/09/07 at 18:27
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
I think we all want cross-browser standards compliance! It'll never happen as no one can ever agree on the standards (MS).
Javascript menus are easier to implement, but for usability the menu should still work when Javascript is turned off and that's where the challenge of cross-browser CSS comes in. However, most people assume that the user has Javascript enabled for their browser otherwise a lot of functionality would be lost. Screen readers and other computer aids still struggle with Javascript though.
There are lots of sites out there to help you, including Dynamic Drive and Hotscripts and also lots of really handy Javascript libraries designed to make writing Javascript quicker and easier, such as jQuery, Prototype and loads of others listed here.
Thu 06/09/07 at 22:06
Regular
I truely hope Tony gives you guys bonuses for being so helpful. Even when Im about to call it quits, you still offer more help with my problem. =D

Thank you very much Loki, this one seems to be very good and works in IE too. As Eccles said I want to limit the amount of Javascript I use for the reasons he's mentioned. But I'm hoping I can get away with it as it's just a menu for alternative languages for my website. (Like YouTube uses it to select different countries)

The alternative was just a simple pulldown menu. But everyone seems to avoid it like the plaque now and use javascript, css etc. Not sure why that is.

Thanks for the links Eccles, I'm checking them out now.
Fri 07/09/07 at 09:53
"Are you sure?"
Just a thought...

Machie or Digitrader(Mod) any chance of changing the 'Thread Title' to something meaningful?!

i.e. 'Javascript/CSS menus'

Search Freeola Chat
Fri 07/09/07 at 11:14
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
What're you trying to say? I'm not meaningful!? :P
Fri 07/09/07 at 11:18
"Are you sure?"
Eccles wrote:
> What're you trying to say? I'm not meaningful!? :P

As if...

Eccles 'this post' is currently number one!

;¬)
Sat 08/09/07 at 14:12
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Whichever method you go with Machie, make sure that the original link clicks to a meaningful page, so that people without JavaScript / CSS can use the links as normal, like in MyFreeola, if you have JavaScript disabled, the links go to the home pages of each section, whereas other sites unfortunately use a meaningless # value or the javascript: handler in the href attribute ... like the link to Gameaday Winners to the left.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.