GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS3 catching up in Japan"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 03/09/07 at 12:54
"possibly impossible"
Looks like the gap is narrowing between the PS3 and the Wii after Nintendo had major success in June and July, outselling Sony's effort by 6 to 1.

The sales figures for August now show the PS3 catching up, with the Wii now only outselling the PS3 by 3 to 1. With more eagerly awaited titles after a bit of a gaming drought for the PS3's launch, it looks like the Japanese are slowly being swayed back to Sony.

The question is; can the same be done here and in the US? The titles are coming (albiet slowly still) but do Sony need to do some hefty advertising and revert back to the methods they used for the original Playstation? Back then it was all sponsorship, bringing in big names and coming up with new ideas, the last one seemingly most lacking from the PS3 so far. But perhaps Home and Little Big Adventure might answer this, assuming Sony can get word out to the un-initiated.

Sony have to prove themselves this Christmas and if they don't have a larger userbase by the end of next year they could be in big trouble. However, things are starting to look up and all those problems with hardware at Microsoft can't hurt the sales of the PS3 with game shops everywhere I go now seemingly telling new console purchasers to go with the PS3.
Mon 03/09/07 at 12:54
"possibly impossible"
Looks like the gap is narrowing between the PS3 and the Wii after Nintendo had major success in June and July, outselling Sony's effort by 6 to 1.

The sales figures for August now show the PS3 catching up, with the Wii now only outselling the PS3 by 3 to 1. With more eagerly awaited titles after a bit of a gaming drought for the PS3's launch, it looks like the Japanese are slowly being swayed back to Sony.

The question is; can the same be done here and in the US? The titles are coming (albiet slowly still) but do Sony need to do some hefty advertising and revert back to the methods they used for the original Playstation? Back then it was all sponsorship, bringing in big names and coming up with new ideas, the last one seemingly most lacking from the PS3 so far. But perhaps Home and Little Big Adventure might answer this, assuming Sony can get word out to the un-initiated.

Sony have to prove themselves this Christmas and if they don't have a larger userbase by the end of next year they could be in big trouble. However, things are starting to look up and all those problems with hardware at Microsoft can't hurt the sales of the PS3 with game shops everywhere I go now seemingly telling new console purchasers to go with the PS3.
Tue 04/09/07 at 00:11
Regular
"Mooching around"
Probably because the games for the Wii suck at the moment... I've found most people grow weary of the same old minigames with new names.

I'm really looking forward to a game with some depth.

Anything on the horizon?
Tue 04/09/07 at 00:49
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
I'd guess it can be partially explained because one of the big system seller titles came out in Japan last month.
Tue 04/09/07 at 10:24
"possibly impossible"
Chaos wrote:
> Probably because the games for the Wii suck at the moment... I've
> found most people grow weary of the same old minigames with new
> names.
>
> I'm really looking forward to a game with some depth.
>
> Anything on the horizon?

Metroid Prime 3, Mario Galaxy, Paper Mario, MySims (actually very good) all before Christmas. Super Smash Bros Brawl just after. That's only some of the stuff as well...
Tue 04/09/07 at 12:50
Regular
"Mooching around"
MySims has actually really caught my eye :)

Being a bit of a fan of The Sims, however, I just hope I don't get dissapointed.
Tue 04/09/07 at 13:04
"possibly impossible"
It's far more Animal Crossing than The Sims, though. Less about all the serious stuff and more about helping people out with little jobs etc.

But its all the better for it. Think The Sims crossed with lego and Animal Crossing and that's about where it lays.
Tue 04/09/07 at 21:53
Regular
"Mooching around"
Animal crossing? *Googles*

Aw, how quainte. ^-^
Wed 05/09/07 at 08:49
"possibly impossible"
You've not experienced Animal Crossing? It's fantastic. I wasn't convinced before playing it, but it's one of those games which takes over your life if you get involved...
Wed 05/09/07 at 10:47
Regular
MySims? I played a Sims game on Xbox and thought it was rubbish. Why is this one so much better?

How come you've played it already pb, anyway?
Wed 05/09/07 at 12:58
"possibly impossible"
I haven't. Just going by reviews.

It's going to be different to all the other Sims games, NGamer and Gamesmaster compared it to Animal Crossing (which is fantastic) and every review I've read about it has a glowing recommendation.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.