GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Women Gamers - The Facts"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 10/02/02 at 16:53
Regular
These are hard facts:

(The following relate to the US market in 1999)

Console Games Players: 35% were female
PC Games Players: 43% were female

PC Entertainment Software Buyers: 49% were female
Console Software Buyers: 51% were female

Online Gamers: 53% were female

Female gamers preferred different types of games like trivia and contests genres, whilst male gamers selected action games as their favorite type of online game.

Now onto some common generalites:

Female gamers prefer non-violent, non-combative games, going for titles like Sim City or Myst.

Female gamers are put off by seeing very male oriented advertisements in the gaming press, which is why the majority of gaming magazine purchasers are male.

My view:

Ditch the bikini clad girls from the ads.
Promote more puzzle games.
Add a female section to SR's website, not necessarily a forum, although that would help, but use red instead of blue for the links backgrounds and add appropriate content, or just use a cookie feature to tell if you've got a male/female customer browsing and put it to your advantage.

There are already dedicated female gamer websites springing up on the web.

There is a major market for publishers and developers to tap into if they want to. Why haven't they? Where are the home improvement sims? The Bubble Bobble 3D sequels? The environment management RTS games?

There are plenty of female jouralists out there, why not get them into Future Publishing and Paragon Publishing and start to make a difference? If there isn't a magazine out there called Grrrl Gamer or Femme Fatale why not?

With a little application and a little daring, the gaming industry could start raking in a lot more money than they are currently taking, which could go towards making much better games for all of us, not just Gran Turismo IV and Dead or Alive V.
Tue 12/02/02 at 15:09
Regular
Cinnamon wrote:
> Well I bet no one is better than me on Crazy Taxi 2.
Around Apple:
> $122,471.42.

I don't know if to say well done or get a life (joke).
Tue 12/02/02 at 12:28
Regular
"++ Anti Antler ++"
This could be very interesting...
Tue 12/02/02 at 12:17
Regular
"That's right!"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Girls are always good at games like Tekken because they just thrash the
> buttons.

------------

Heck yes, you're trying to get some combos going, and they just break the controller with their constant mashing
Mon 11/02/02 at 23:55
Regular
Girls are always good at games like Tekken because they just thrash the buttons.
Mon 11/02/02 at 23:51
Regular
GT3 any rally track...bring it on
Mon 11/02/02 at 23:25
Regular
Well I bet no one is better than me on Crazy Taxi 2.
Around Apple: $122,471.42.
Mon 11/02/02 at 22:59
WOMEN GAMERS DO KICKA** WHY BECAUSE MOST WOMEN ARE BETTER GAMERS THEN MEN..... YEAH RIGHT THAT A LOAD OF BULL!

Women gamers do kicka** why never question uncle women are better gamers then men..... yeah right that a load {smack in the head by girlfriend} oww that kinda of hurt mon!
Mon 11/02/02 at 13:03
Regular
"5 European Cups!!!"
I think the fact that the games industry isn't as populated by women than men is because that the developers etc cater their games for the males. If their were more women-targeted games(with the exception of Marie Kate+Asleys pile of sh..), then we would see the women percentage rise
Mon 11/02/02 at 12:39
Regular
read "Statistics" in the prime topics section
Mon 11/02/02 at 12:25
Regular
"That's right!"
Solskjær_24 wrote:
> Console software buyers 51%???
Surely that's cuz of kids wanting games for
> x-mas' and birthdays, and asking "Mum, can I have Harry Potter??"

----------

Exactly

Most of them won't have a clue what they're buying, they're just doing as they're told, heh

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.