GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"First spam email that really got me worried!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 28/08/07 at 00:04
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Maybe it means I really have something to hide, I don't know, but today I started to receive spam emails that contain a reference to a video being on YouTube, with a link, and some text, such as:

"LMAO, I cant believe you put this video online. Everyone can see your
face there. LOL take a look, lol...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1Y8RiG9RLG
"

And honest to god, reading made me go .... "oh, dear, god, what could that be" ... and I fell for it, took the bait, and attempted to look at the video. I didn't click the link, but went to the YouTube web site and typed in the supposed reference ID to see what was on there, but it appeared to be a dud link.

Then another couple came through, so it does seem like it's spam, but dam, did it get me worried :)

Anybody else getting these? I can envision a lot of people falling for it, although it didn't seem to contain any attachment, or hidden link, so not quite sure what the point of it was!
Tue 28/08/07 at 00:04
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Maybe it means I really have something to hide, I don't know, but today I started to receive spam emails that contain a reference to a video being on YouTube, with a link, and some text, such as:

"LMAO, I cant believe you put this video online. Everyone can see your
face there. LOL take a look, lol...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1Y8RiG9RLG
"

And honest to god, reading made me go .... "oh, dear, god, what could that be" ... and I fell for it, took the bait, and attempted to look at the video. I didn't click the link, but went to the YouTube web site and typed in the supposed reference ID to see what was on there, but it appeared to be a dud link.

Then another couple came through, so it does seem like it's spam, but dam, did it get me worried :)

Anybody else getting these? I can envision a lot of people falling for it, although it didn't seem to contain any attachment, or hidden link, so not quite sure what the point of it was!
Tue 28/08/07 at 00:43
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
I got one of these for the first time the other day too, took a few seconds for it to click it was spam. Also started receiving ridiculous amounts of pdf spam recently, is there some exploit in adobe reader or something?

And this evening somebody started using one of my domains as the return address for spam. Been wading through hundreds of bounced emails. :)
Tue 28/08/07 at 10:33
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
PDF and image spam is a difficult problem for spam filters to detect. I'm sure someone will figure it out and then the spammers will just move on to another technique!
I have a phishing filter acting on my email and it's catching lots of the Youtube spam emails. The link is to an IP address and tries to download the Storm worm, which spread in January. See here.. I also notice on the F-Secure blog that they are talking about RTF spam too.
Wed 29/08/07 at 12:50
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Sun 02/09/07 at 11:59
Regular
whats the differance between a worm and a virus?
Sun 02/09/07 at 14:41
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
A worm is just a type of virus. Some are called worms because they can propagate on their own.
Sun 02/09/07 at 23:18
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Seems like that storm virus is getting about a bit.

Though the YouTube one seems to have stopped, so I assume either they've given up, or Freeola Spam filters have been update to deal with them.

Whatever happened to that feature in MyFreeola that let you see which emails had been let through and which had been marked as spam and deleted?
Mon 03/09/07 at 09:27
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Wed 05/09/07 at 19:27
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
It wasn't quite as advanced as that, it literally listed all email send to each address, telling which were sent through, and which were deleted as spam.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.