GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Do You Believe That The GCN and XBOX Are In Direct Competition?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 08/02/02 at 19:02
Regular
Now, I believe that Nintendo themselves have denied that they see Microsoft as competitors, but many, many people at this board think otherwise. Let's take a look at the two consoles fairly quickly:

GCN:

Made by: Nintendo, long-running, established company with a strong fanbase in all three major gaming industries.
Hard drive: No.
Internet access: No.
DVD playing facilities: No.
Third Party Support: Much better than the N64, with successful franchises such as THPS and Fifa on board.
Exclusive Games: Nintendo are renowned for their Ninty-only games, with the likes of Mario Sunshine, Zelda and Donkey Kong Racing all set to delight.
Multiplayer facilities: Four controller ports, with a handle for easy handling when taking it round a mate's.

XBOX:

Made by: Microsoft, the company hated by so much of the Internet community, despite it being the same company that standardized home computing, and created the best selling operating system ever. This is their first dabble in console gaming.
Hard drive: Yes.
Internet access: Yes.
DVD playing facilities: Yes.
Third Party Support: Looking good, again with 'safe' games being brought over to Bill's Black Box. Metal Gear Solid is a major coup.
Exclusive Games: Halo has recieved much acclaim, and along with other titles such as Gotham Racing and Jet Set Radio Future is has been hailed as a classic.
Multiplayer facilities: Four controller ports.

Now, some more things.

GCN:

You have to admit, it looks like My First Console (tm) with it's tiny, purple cuteness...but it won't break your foot. Doesn't do much to shake off the 'kiddy' tag.

XBOX:

I really do think that MS did a good job, as it looks...powerful. It looks like a hardcore gaming machine, not a handbag. As big as your average fridge, but it looks like a console, and you can't fault it for that.

GCN:

Is it a child's toy? Resi Evil has been nabbed by the big N, but Capcom have already shed doubt on their dedication to the machine. Zelda now looks like something you'd see at 2pm on Nickelodeon and a Pokemon game is going to surface sooner or late...it's looking more and more like your casual gamer will opt away from the GCN. However, the massive Nintendo fanbase will come in droves to buy it. Being marketed not as a multimedia box of tricks, but a GAMES machine.

XBOX:

The new kid on the block...much like Sony. As stated in many other topics, there are other similarities: Microsoft taking things and adding them to their machine, starting to set a new standard. It's being marketed as a contender to Sony's PS2, DVD playback and all...not Nintendo's Gamecube.

OK, I think I lost my point somewhere in the middle...but do you think that GCN and XBOX are in direct competition? Do you think that MS could do to Ninty what Sony did to Sega?
Fri 08/02/02 at 19:02
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
Now, I believe that Nintendo themselves have denied that they see Microsoft as competitors, but many, many people at this board think otherwise. Let's take a look at the two consoles fairly quickly:

GCN:

Made by: Nintendo, long-running, established company with a strong fanbase in all three major gaming industries.
Hard drive: No.
Internet access: No.
DVD playing facilities: No.
Third Party Support: Much better than the N64, with successful franchises such as THPS and Fifa on board.
Exclusive Games: Nintendo are renowned for their Ninty-only games, with the likes of Mario Sunshine, Zelda and Donkey Kong Racing all set to delight.
Multiplayer facilities: Four controller ports, with a handle for easy handling when taking it round a mate's.

XBOX:

Made by: Microsoft, the company hated by so much of the Internet community, despite it being the same company that standardized home computing, and created the best selling operating system ever. This is their first dabble in console gaming.
Hard drive: Yes.
Internet access: Yes.
DVD playing facilities: Yes.
Third Party Support: Looking good, again with 'safe' games being brought over to Bill's Black Box. Metal Gear Solid is a major coup.
Exclusive Games: Halo has recieved much acclaim, and along with other titles such as Gotham Racing and Jet Set Radio Future is has been hailed as a classic.
Multiplayer facilities: Four controller ports.

Now, some more things.

GCN:

You have to admit, it looks like My First Console (tm) with it's tiny, purple cuteness...but it won't break your foot. Doesn't do much to shake off the 'kiddy' tag.

XBOX:

I really do think that MS did a good job, as it looks...powerful. It looks like a hardcore gaming machine, not a handbag. As big as your average fridge, but it looks like a console, and you can't fault it for that.

GCN:

Is it a child's toy? Resi Evil has been nabbed by the big N, but Capcom have already shed doubt on their dedication to the machine. Zelda now looks like something you'd see at 2pm on Nickelodeon and a Pokemon game is going to surface sooner or late...it's looking more and more like your casual gamer will opt away from the GCN. However, the massive Nintendo fanbase will come in droves to buy it. Being marketed not as a multimedia box of tricks, but a GAMES machine.

XBOX:

The new kid on the block...much like Sony. As stated in many other topics, there are other similarities: Microsoft taking things and adding them to their machine, starting to set a new standard. It's being marketed as a contender to Sony's PS2, DVD playback and all...not Nintendo's Gamecube.

OK, I think I lost my point somewhere in the middle...but do you think that GCN and XBOX are in direct competition? Do you think that MS could do to Ninty what Sony did to Sega?
Fri 08/02/02 at 19:08
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
No.

Somehow i don't see them as being in Direct Competition.
Sat 09/02/02 at 00:58
Regular
GCN and x-box are two different systems, ones multi media ones games.

And what i found hilarious is that you belive the x-box looks better than the Gamecube, the console fit for bill gates's house taking on the small and smart brute.
Sat 09/02/02 at 01:10
Regular
"Back For Good"
Shelly Friend (head of Nintendo EU) dismissed the Xbox and PS2 as competition because they aren't dedicated games consoles. In all fairness all of Nintendo and their fans are up themselves just a little and personally i think the Xbox and Gamecube are aiming for 2 very different audiences but in the end they're both games consoles and both after your cash.
Sat 09/02/02 at 01:15
Regular
Nintendo fans are not up themselves, they just know that their games on a higher plain too Sony's.

See w'ere not up ourselves.

Oh one last thing, I rule you all suck.

*runs*
Sat 09/02/02 at 09:24
I don't think that they are in direct competition, but you can hardly say that they're not competition, or it'd be a contradiction in it's own right. Yes, they don't have a lot in common, but that's what makes them competition. They are both offering something different to the general public, and so you (the audience) have to choose - are they going to buy the X-Box or the Gamecube.
Sat 09/02/02 at 09:43
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
The question was are they in direct competition. Yes, they're both gaming consoles but do you think that XBOX and GCN are looking at totally different markets?

And yes, I think the XBOX looks how a console should look. Big, and powerful. Nobody likes a car that doesn't make any noise when you start it up, and no hardcore gamer wants a bright pink console.
Sat 09/02/02 at 09:54
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
swander87 wrote:
> The question was are they in direct competition. Yes, they're both gaming
> consoles but do you think that XBOX and GCN are looking at totally different
> markets?

And yes, I think the XBOX looks how a console should look. Big, and
> powerful. Nobody likes a car that doesn't make any noise when you start it up,
> and no hardcore gamer wants a bright pink console.

Well the X-Box isn't aimed fully at gameplaying. But the GC is. The GC-Q will be and that is for a more mature audience along with the X-Box but it isn't out for AGES.
Sat 09/02/02 at 10:45
"possibly impossible"
swander87 wrote:
> And yes, I think the XBOX looks how a console should look. Big, and
> powerful. Nobody likes a car that doesn't make any noise when you start it up,
> and no hardcore gamer wants a bright pink console.

So you would rather have a big brute of a 4wd than a sleek and almost simplistic design of a Ferrari or Lotus?

The Gamecube is in competion with both the Xbox and PS2, but not directly, and certainly not on a price comparison. Because the Gamecube is so much cheaper, people may be tempted to buy two consoles, meaning that the GC will still sell, even if the other consoles are more popular at first.

Microsoft will have to lower the price of the Xbox in the end to compete with the other two, though it won't affect sales initially, due to the amount of people wanting to keep up with the technology.

It's strange, because in the end I think Microsoft's console will appeal more to those gamers who are not scared by the technology and want something meaty, that may take a bit more work than a dedicated games console. Gamecube will appeal to the new gamer, as well as those who are only interested in games and do not want to meddle with internet and other trimmings.
Sat 09/02/02 at 10:51
Regular
"Shermer, Illinois?"
swander87 wrote:
And yes, I think the XBOX looks how a console should look. Big, and powerful. Nobody likes a car that doesn't make any noise when you start it up, and no hardcore gamer wants a bright pink console.

Well, that's a big discriminative if you ask me.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.