GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Grand Theft Auto IV - How good will it be?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Grand Theft Auto IV'.
Tue 25/07/06 at 23:21
Regular
"Brandy"
The Grand Theft Auto series have gotten better and better. I thought that nothing could top San Andreas. I also said this about GTA 3 and Vice City. But I mean it this time. I have heard rumours of where it will be set and the choices are London(again), Manchester, New Mexico or the whole of the U.K (wow). But don't know about weapons or vechiles in the game. Hopefully they will keep the classics like 'cheetah' and 'bobcat'. They may be a completely new vechile class like submarine or cruise ship.
Tue 25/07/06 at 23:21
Regular
"Brandy"
The Grand Theft Auto series have gotten better and better. I thought that nothing could top San Andreas. I also said this about GTA 3 and Vice City. But I mean it this time. I have heard rumours of where it will be set and the choices are London(again), Manchester, New Mexico or the whole of the U.K (wow). But don't know about weapons or vechiles in the game. Hopefully they will keep the classics like 'cheetah' and 'bobcat'. They may be a completely new vechile class like submarine or cruise ship.
Tue 25/07/06 at 23:32
Regular
"The definitive tag"
San Andreas won't be hard to top at all with a machine such as the Xbox 360.

SA is a cracking game, but it's badly flawed in places as well. I'm just hoping for all of the little niggles to be ironed out for the next one so we're left with a smooth game.

I'd rather sacrifice some size than have them create a giant U.K. sized map and have the rest of the game suck.
Tue 25/07/06 at 23:46
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
See, I liked the first two best. Top-down, micromachines-esque view, pick-up and play gameplay, but with plenty of depth and loads to do and find.

The 3D ones have never felt quite 'right' to me. I've got GTA:LCS on the PSP, and it's alright. Good at times, but frustrating. The combat is just annoying at times, and I've never felt the handling of the vehicles is quite right...

Yeah, there's loads to do and see, but there are times when you can just get stuck trying to progress through the main game, and random violence does get dull after a while...

I think it'd be quite easy for GTA4 to top 3 and its myriad of offshoots. Just needs to have more of everything, improve the combat, and leave less 'dead-ends' in the game (ie. times when you're stuck with only one choice of mission to do, because if you can't seem to do that mission, you're pretty stuck...)
Wed 26/07/06 at 00:48
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
I hope they fill in the holes created by everything spawning randomly.

I mean, I don't know how much processing power it would take or anything to have everything existing in a bigger range around the player, but it was so annoying when police literally just spawn behind you when you turn to face a different direction. And the pile ups on the motorways were stupid... In fact, the motorways were stupid full stop. You'd look behind you for half a second and then a truck spawns infront of you, and so you crash right into and fly off your bike.

Some combat was a bit crap too... the indoor stuff in SA was really lame. And the stealth stuff was even worse.
Wed 26/07/06 at 01:07
Regular
"The definitive tag"
Aye. The highspeed traffic in San Andreas was laughable. It just didn't work, and the randomly spawning police made the game about 100% less fun to play.

You know, the more I think about it, the less fun San Andreas seems to be.
Wed 26/07/06 at 19:10
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
I think its fair to say that the San Andreas dissenters are in the minority, so I doubt you can expect anything but more of the same from GTA 4.

However I hope they steal some ideas from The Godfather game. Although the execution was poor, it had some nice ideas about gang warfare, control of buildings and extortion rackets etc..
Wed 26/07/06 at 21:10
Regular
"Brandy"
Also a thing i would like to mention is that GTA IV could be online. This good be a good and a bad thing. Interacting and making gangs would be fun. But being shot or blown up or ran over or poisoned every two seconds may not be.
Thu 27/07/06 at 00:15
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
There was a 3rd party addon made for GTA3 and I think VC that allowed online play. It was really crap, but what do you expect.
If it had worked properly then perhaps it would have been fun. It was hard to tell.
Thu 27/07/06 at 11:45
Regular
"Mooching around"
My opinion here is probably completly wrong, so correct if so.

Wouldn't making GTA IV multi-format reduce its overal capacity for the PS3 due to the fact that the 360 only uses DVD discs? Or will they make it so it uses the HD-DVD drive that's coming out soon?

P.S. Can you even play games on the HD-DVD drive of the 360?
Thu 27/07/06 at 18:20
Regular
"The definitive tag"
Apparently, although the PS3 has a lot more power, it won't actually make a great deal of difference.

That's what someone on here said anyway...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.