GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Improving concentration?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 20/08/07 at 13:34
Regular
Does anyone here have any tips/excercise/links etc to anything that can help me improve my concentration levels? I've found that they have dropped, probably due to my job. I can get a lot of interruptions meaning that sometimes I'm only spending a couple of minutes on something before something else comes along.

This means that my mind wanders a lot and often I can't be bothered to finish something I've started. I nearly gave up on this post about 2 sentences in, by the way.

I thought trying to learn the piano again might help, but I broke my wrist when I was a kid and so I find it uncomfortable playing for more than half an hour at a time.

I'm getting back into reading again, as I need to get my imagination working. I'm sure I used to be able to picture in my mind's eye exactly what was being described in the book, but I find it more difficult than I used to.

Am I just getting old? Is it the mundanity of routine? Or perhaps I need my routine to make sure I have time put aside to playing an instrument, or reading or doing whatever which may help the situation.

Are they all link? Concentration, memory and imagination? They say the brain is like any other muscle, the more you use it, the stronger it gets. So there must be excercises and stuff I can do to keep it in shape, right?
Mon 20/08/07 at 13:34
Regular
Does anyone here have any tips/excercise/links etc to anything that can help me improve my concentration levels? I've found that they have dropped, probably due to my job. I can get a lot of interruptions meaning that sometimes I'm only spending a couple of minutes on something before something else comes along.

This means that my mind wanders a lot and often I can't be bothered to finish something I've started. I nearly gave up on this post about 2 sentences in, by the way.

I thought trying to learn the piano again might help, but I broke my wrist when I was a kid and so I find it uncomfortable playing for more than half an hour at a time.

I'm getting back into reading again, as I need to get my imagination working. I'm sure I used to be able to picture in my mind's eye exactly what was being described in the book, but I find it more difficult than I used to.

Am I just getting old? Is it the mundanity of routine? Or perhaps I need my routine to make sure I have time put aside to playing an instrument, or reading or doing whatever which may help the situation.

Are they all link? Concentration, memory and imagination? They say the brain is like any other muscle, the more you use it, the stronger it gets. So there must be excercises and stuff I can do to keep it in shape, right?
Mon 20/08/07 at 13:39
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
I do Sudoku (I think that's how it spelt) quite often, seems to keep the brain going for me. I also play cricket which requires good concentration when both bowling and batting. Table tennis would be good too I'd imagine, as it can be a bit unpredictable so again a good concentration is needed. So maybe some kind of sport would help you out?
Mon 20/08/07 at 13:40
Regular
Yeah, I only really swim, which doesn't require much concentration. In fact I've lost count of how many lengths I've done, which is a bit worrying as it's about the only thing that I need to remember while I'm in the water.
Mon 20/08/07 at 13:46
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
Hmm... well other than sport I'd suggest what you've already said - playing an instrument (obviously your injury doesn't help with this though) and reading. Without sounding patronising, how about if you find it difficult to stick to one book you go for a newspaper instead because it's easier to digest until you've built the concentration back up again?
Mon 20/08/07 at 13:49
Regular
Generally I'm not too bad at concentrating on a book, but it's visualising what's being described I want to get better at. For example, if a descriptive bit is talking about what a house looks like, or whatever, I'm crap at actually picturing the house in my minds eye.
Mon 20/08/07 at 13:51
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
An instrument will *definitely* help.
Are you sure that it starts to hurt after half an hour because your previously broke it, and not just because it's unfamiliar?
Mon 20/08/07 at 13:55
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
Whatever you end up doing I'd definitely agree when you say perhaps you should set some time aside in your routine to do an activity, even half an hour would help I think.

I wouldn't say it's because you're getting old or anything either, if you're not getting enough time to do an activity which requires concentration you're more likely just to be out of practice. You'd probably be able to get it back easily by doing a new activity. Just you need to decide what that'll be...
Mon 20/08/07 at 13:59
Regular
Bob_The_Moose wrote:
> An instrument will *definitely* help.
> Are you sure that it starts to hurt after half an hour because
> your previously broke it, and not just because it's unfamiliar?

It's only my right wrist that hurts and that's the one a broke.
Mon 20/08/07 at 14:39
Regular
"the j-man"
Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training!
Mon 20/08/07 at 14:51
Regular
I had thought about getting it for the Wii. Does it actually work though?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.