GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Enter the Vita"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 15/02/12 at 09:05
"possibly impossible"
7 days.

That's how long there is to wait for the new Playstation Vita, Sony's new handheld.

The console goes head to head with both the 3DS and the growing Apple and Android device market for gaming. A tough call in a market already suffering from lack of funds.

But does it have what it takes to be the king of the handhelds? Can the Vita do what the PSP failed to do? Why am I asking so many questions? Do I like question marks that much?

The answer to all of these questions will be shortly answered (in terms of the last 2 it's; I don't know and yes).

Tech Specs (from Playstation.com)
CPU: ARM® Cortex™- A9 core (4 core)
GPU: SGX543MP4+
External Dimensions:
Approx. 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm (width x height x depth)
(tentative, excludes largest projection)

Screen (Touch Screen)
5 inches (16:9), 960 x 544, Approx. 16 million colors, OLED
Multi touch screen (capacitive type)

Rear Touch Pad:
Multi touch pad (capacitive type)

Cameras:
Front camera, Rear camera

Sound:
Built-in stereo speakers
Built-in microphone

Sensors:
Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope,
three-axis accelerometer), Three-axis electronic compass

Wi-Fi location service support

Keys / Switches:
PS button
Power button
Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left)
Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square)
Shoulder buttons (Right/Left)
Right stick, Left stick
START button, SELECT button
Volume buttons (+/-)

Wireless Communications:
Mobile network connectivity (3G)
IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n = 1x1)(Wi-Fi)(Infrastructure mode/Ad-hoc mode)
Bluetooth® 2.1+EDR (A2DP/AVRCP/HSP)

Backward Compatibility
Sony have confirmed that the Vita will be fully Backward Compatible with PSP games, using a similar emulation system to the one found in the PS2 and upcoming PSP ports to PS3.

This means that the games can be visually enhanced and the second analogue stick can be programmed to be used in the game (Resistance Retribution was demoed running with this feature).

The console will also be region free, allowing you to play games from around the world.

Price
The Vita arrives for the retail price of £229.99 for the WIFI version and £279.99 for the 3G version. The £50 difference gets you a constant 3G signal via the sim card supplied by Vodafone and a free copy of Wipeout 2048.

While the Retail price might be rigidly stuck to in Argos and other shops, many online retailers and some stores like HMV have already made packages available which save a lot of money.

Amazon
Vita with WIFI + 8GB Card £209 + selected game £15

Gamestation/Game
Vita WIFI + 8Gb Card + Game £259 or £269 for Uncharted or FIFA

Gamestop
PS Vita WiFi + Any Game £239.99
PS Vita WiFi + 16Gb card + Uncharted £269.99

Play.com
PS Vita WiFi + 8Gb card + Uncharted £242.99
Vita WIFI + 8Gb Card + Game £227

PS Vita WiFi + Uncharted or FIFA £230 wi-fi/£280 3G

Game/Gamestation In Store still haven't had console or bundle prices confirmed. Staff said head office were waiting till the last minute for prices to try to 'be competitive'.

So, the question is; are you getting one?
Thu 23/02/12 at 20:23
"possibly impossible"
I hope you washed your hands.

Got one at launch (midnight opening with 5 people, but then it's a small town).

Written a review and very impressed with it, though I've already run out of memory card space, so I advise getting the biggest card you can afford.
Tue 21/02/12 at 22:52
"Uzi Lover"
Can't wait until tommorow. Vita, uncharted, wipeout, fifa, rayman and some PSN store games.

Got my case and screen protectors but one thing i'm really after are the PDP Trigger Grips...they look great. Looks alot better to hold and of the trigger buttons are like PSPs i hate them already.

The question is where can I buy them in UK? Only the US has them where i can see, so may have to wait to turn my vita into a dual shock-a-like. Even the hori ones don't look as good.

Hello by the way. Return of the Mack. I'm on the loo.
Mon 20/02/12 at 13:04
"possibly impossible"
GAME and Gamestation have (finally) recieved their bundle prices. They're stll subject to change until tomorrow night, but it does look like Sony have stiffed them when compared to HMV and online prices (Sony pay for the deals themselves, rather than the stores).

GAME In Store Price
Vita WIFI £229.99
Vita WIFI + FIFA £249.99
Vita WIFI + FIFA and Uncharted £284.99
Vita WIFI + 8GB Card + Uncharted + £10 Voucher for PSN £299.99

Gamestation In Store Price
Vita WIFI £229.99
Vita WIFI + Uncharted £259.99
Vita WIFI + FIFA and Uncharted £284.99
Vita WIFI + 8GB Card + Uncharted + £10 Voucher for PSN £299.99

Basically, add £50 to each for the 3G price.
Thu 16/02/12 at 14:00
"possibly impossible"
News from GAME: Head office are still in talks with Sony to come up with an in-store deal for the console and games.

The deal unofficially put out was the WIFI Console and Uncharted for £259.99, which is terrible compared to pretty much everywhere else. However, this is an unconfirmed price and I'm hoping they manage to sweeten the deal a bit more.
Thu 16/02/12 at 13:17
Regular
"And in last place.."
Frame rate on Ridge Racer seemed fine on the demo pod I played but it is Ridge Racer, been there, done that too many times now.

I was looking at getting a 2nd game but I think I'm going to leave it with the bundled FIFA. I'll get Super Stardust and Motorstorm from PSN and that should be enough to keep me amused for a while.
Thu 16/02/12 at 11:48
Regular
"THFC"
Uncharted will be awesome, simples!

I am looking forward to seeing what they do RPG wise, i love playing them on handheld.

ModNation will be decent and worth getting i reckon.

Not too many launch games which make me want to rush and get one. I may try see what I can get together, as could sell my old PSP along with iPhone which I will be upgrading soon, so these at CEX may get me close enough to only pay out £50-£100 for one, which would be a nice price :)
Thu 16/02/12 at 11:05
"possibly impossible"
I'm going to try and keep this updated until the launch.

Ridge Racer is getting poor reviews so far, mainly because of content and frame rate.

Content-wise, the game is only £15 (zavvi/The Hut) and will get free day one DLC, so that should be sorted.

The frame rate wasn't really an issue for me when I played through the game in Gamestation either, I guess I'll be getting it anyway, despite the early reviews.
Wed 15/02/12 at 11:40
Regular
"THFC"
I want one, but dont know if I can pay that much, think i will wait for a while then get one. Which will also mean plenty more games and better offers.

It does look very nice however and the games will be great im sure!
Wed 15/02/12 at 10:30
Regular
"And in last place.."
I'm very tempted by Wipeout but a few of the comments in the reviews have made me a little hesitant.
Wed 15/02/12 at 10:07
"possibly impossible"
Tempted by FIFA myself,but Wipeout 2048 is my main choice. i'll see what deals Gamestation is doing on the day and decide from there.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.