GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] FIFA 12"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'FIFA 12'.
Thu 02/02/12 at 20:52
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
FIFA 12 Review

For review purposes, the Playstation 3 version has been played

And today’s match...

Another year, another FIFA. Beginning in 1993 with FIFA 94 (or FIFA International Soccer), the series has been an EA staple ever since. The FIFA juggernaut had faced stiff competition from Konami’s Pro Evolution Soccer series in the early years of the millennium, but a complete game overhaul come the end of the decade [around 2009], as well as a decline in the quality of the competitor, put an end to the PES dominance, as EA became the first to bring next-generation gameplay to the football stadium. But after a lavishly praised entry last year, can FIFA up it's game?

Kick-Off

A ball, twenty two men, four referees, ninety minutes and one goal (or two, depending on what goals you mean…), the standard gameplay mechanics of FIFA, and all other football simulations stays more or less the same: attempt to score more than the opponent. There would be more than a couple of complaints, I’m sure, if the guys up at EA Sports started messing with that. It’s how you play the game that gets the polish.

Parking the bus

FIFA picks up where it left off in FIFA 11 developing the game engine. After developing attacking in last year’s game with 360 degree control on the attack, the main development this year has been on the defence. Defending for many years in the FIFA universe has been along the lines of ‘hold the press button until you get the ball back’, with hints of sliding if that didn’t work. This year introduces ‘Tactical Defending’, a new defending technique that is a little less automated, and a little less cheap than that offered by previous editions.

The aim of tactical defending is to delay the attacker’s movement to allow for more cover to arrive or to force a mistake, and if you must go into a challenge, then timing is incredibly important, as a mistimed challenge can lead to goal scoring opportunities, defenders out of position, or with the new collision detection (more on that in a bit), fouls. If it sounds difficult, then you’ll be unsurprised to know that there is a learning curve on using it, and if you really wished, the “old style” of tackling can be turned on. However, once the learning curve is over with, what you’re left with is a more realistic and just downright better system, to the point that switching back is almost unthinkable.

Wipe him out!

Otherwise, the remaining parts of the game remain almost as they were. 360 degree movement and passing are still there, shooting is very similar and, besides the addition of a few new flicks and tricks, it’s mostly the same. This is no bad thing, considering the calibre of the previous iteration.

That’s not to say they haven’t been changing stuff around, it’s not feeling too stale. In addition to the new defending, the collision engine has been overhauled. This means for (theoretically) more realistic contact between players. And whilst that is the case (players can be knocked over with trailing legs, and there is now a lot more variation to players falling), it’s not the most polished. There have been plenty of incidents of players locking together, flipped legs, levitations and extended body parts. But overall, it’s a good addition

Take it quickly

The same can’t be said for the inclusion of quick throw-ins. A good, and logical, thought as an addition, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired. Often, the player will approach the ball, attempt to pick it up and kick it away from them, or just fail to pick it up all together. This leads to a bizarre moment of waiting for the game to give up and move to a normal throw in, which can take far too long. As a consequence, the quick throw-in often leads to more of a delay. For certain, not as well done as the initial addition of the quick free-kick

Play-by-play

Of course it wouldn’t feel right having a football game without commentary, and FIFA 12 is no different. Following the unceremonious sacking of Andy Gray from Sky, and subsequently EA, Alan Smith takes over to partner Martin Tyler as the main commentators. This has a nice side-effect of removing a slight bit of stagnation that the commentary had developed over the last few years, although Smith isn’t without his own annoying phrases.

The more eagle-eyed readers will have noticed I said “main” commentators in the last paragraph. That would be due to the inclusion of alternate commentary from Clive Tyldesley and Andy Townsend. The ITV duo is set to do commentary on cup games as default, which adds a little bit of variety and an authentic feel (you are also given the option to choose just one set of commentators if you have a preference, which is a nice touch).

Of course, as per usual, the commentators do have their moments of irritation. My main gripe is from the glitchesque way they deal with quick free-kicks. A quick free-kick opportunity is almost 100% of the time followed up with talk of the referee giving the offending player “a talking to”, a minor point perhaps, but a personally annoying one. This isn’t the only incident, but it happens enough for it to be noticeable.

Twe12th Man

Fans noises have been slightly improved, with rather muffled chanting that can be heard on TV, moulded to sound like common songs. With those of you with more imaginative sides, you’ll be able to hear the chants from your own ground when leading your team to another victory (I know I do). There is also a more consistent atmosphere, with the South Americans samba beat when they are playing and a silence in the crowd when the away team scores. FIFA 12 brings the FIFA series closer to authenticity.

A footballing brain

Career mode has had a little revamp compared to last season’s outing, for managerial roles, at least. There is more player interaction, with players moaning at not being played and the like. Career also adds a youth scouting element, which is fairly interesting initially, but is not in depth enough to keep interest for long. But Football Manager it is not, and generally still considered to be a) inferior to PES’s Master League mode, and b) more of a distraction from the other, more important modes that FIFA has.

He’s reaching for a card

For the first time in a FIFA game, Ultimate Team comes free straight out of the box. And I for one love Ultimate Team as a game mode. Collecting and trading cards just gives the sort of thrill that was quite easy to get as a child. Opening a pack to see David Silva or my first in form, reminded me of my thrill of opening a Pokémon card pack and seeing shiny Zapdos in there.

Once you’ve got your players, you have to create a team, managing contracts, morale, fitness and injuries, as well as backroom staff and manager. It’s important to create a team with the correct balance. Team chemistry also makes an important part or Ultimate Team, and determines how well your team plays together. Chemistry relies on several things: league, nationality, formation, manager and player quality, and all have to be managed. Strategising is important, so don’t think a team of put together superstars is going to perform (Not pointing any fingers)

Make no mistake, this is an EA microtransaction money-grabbing scheme, but it works. I dread to think how much I’ve spent on it so far, and I doubt that I’m finished. It’s addictive for sure, but I imagine it’s not a mode for everyone. If you’re one of the more impatient types, or have an addictive personality, and don’t have the money to burn, then I suggest you stay away.

In Net

FIFA 12 continues the minor year-based gimmick that has appeared over the last few years: FIFA 10 had 10 vs. 10 online play, FIFA 11 brought the goalkeeper into the fray so finally all 11 men were playable. FIFA 12 brings you in as the 12th man in Support Your Club. Support Your Club brings you and the rest of your FIFA 12 playing club supporters together in a living season, averaging daily XP (from playing matches, completing challenges etc.) from all players to decide points.

Now, a lot of people will have noted my complaints with general online play last year, and especially FIFA11. I can gladly say that this has been somewhat improved with this year’s online mode. Firstly, head to head matches are leagued, requiring a set number of points to both stay in the current league and avoid relegation, and to gain promotion to the next league. This means that disconnectors are less common as you head up the table. Furthermore, they seem to be able to detect the D/C players with more accuracy, and award a win more often than in the past.

Head to head seasons allows for tracking of matches that you’ve had with your friends in a league-like situation. This also allows you to browse through the results of previous matches and fight for a friend’s league trophy. Not only do this add bragging rights to an otherwise friendly match, it adds an extra spark when the season is coming to a close and one win could clinch it, ultimately leading to more competitive matches, of which I approve.

Be a Pro also still exists in the online arena, again offering the opportunity to play in 11 vs 11 matches. Having played a couple, I must say that the lag is amazingly rarely present, which is a hell of a feat for a 22 man connection. Although positioning does get thrown to the wind in these matches, I have to be honest. I’d suggest avoiding if you’re after something a bit more serious, but useful for a good laugh.

Full Time

In conclusion, EA aren’t resting on their laurels in the art of creating the best football game. As a Pro Evolution Soccer convertee as of FIFA 10, I can honestly say that EA are bringing the A game. Whilst not all additions are perfect (looking at you, quick throw in), they’re at least trying to bring a realistic experience. But, as has been said before, where can they go from here? A 3rd player controls the referee? Streaker mode? All I can say is FIFA 13 will likely bring the game to a new level, but at least for now, FIFA 12 is the pinnacle.

Rating: 8.9/10
Thu 02/02/12 at 22:35
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
Yeah, it's hard to do an iterative series like this without either feeling awfully redundant or without assuming the reader knows a bit or two about the previous one.

Unless I've missed the point there, DL :P
Thu 02/02/12 at 21:55
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
HFVII ... quality and quantity ... totally required to review a game such as this. A well-structured and excellent review :¬)

However, I will say that reviewing any game with any modicum of knowledge, will depend on how many of 'its' previous incarnations you have played.
Thu 02/02/12 at 20:52
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
FIFA 12 Review

For review purposes, the Playstation 3 version has been played

And today’s match...

Another year, another FIFA. Beginning in 1993 with FIFA 94 (or FIFA International Soccer), the series has been an EA staple ever since. The FIFA juggernaut had faced stiff competition from Konami’s Pro Evolution Soccer series in the early years of the millennium, but a complete game overhaul come the end of the decade [around 2009], as well as a decline in the quality of the competitor, put an end to the PES dominance, as EA became the first to bring next-generation gameplay to the football stadium. But after a lavishly praised entry last year, can FIFA up it's game?

Kick-Off

A ball, twenty two men, four referees, ninety minutes and one goal (or two, depending on what goals you mean…), the standard gameplay mechanics of FIFA, and all other football simulations stays more or less the same: attempt to score more than the opponent. There would be more than a couple of complaints, I’m sure, if the guys up at EA Sports started messing with that. It’s how you play the game that gets the polish.

Parking the bus

FIFA picks up where it left off in FIFA 11 developing the game engine. After developing attacking in last year’s game with 360 degree control on the attack, the main development this year has been on the defence. Defending for many years in the FIFA universe has been along the lines of ‘hold the press button until you get the ball back’, with hints of sliding if that didn’t work. This year introduces ‘Tactical Defending’, a new defending technique that is a little less automated, and a little less cheap than that offered by previous editions.

The aim of tactical defending is to delay the attacker’s movement to allow for more cover to arrive or to force a mistake, and if you must go into a challenge, then timing is incredibly important, as a mistimed challenge can lead to goal scoring opportunities, defenders out of position, or with the new collision detection (more on that in a bit), fouls. If it sounds difficult, then you’ll be unsurprised to know that there is a learning curve on using it, and if you really wished, the “old style” of tackling can be turned on. However, once the learning curve is over with, what you’re left with is a more realistic and just downright better system, to the point that switching back is almost unthinkable.

Wipe him out!

Otherwise, the remaining parts of the game remain almost as they were. 360 degree movement and passing are still there, shooting is very similar and, besides the addition of a few new flicks and tricks, it’s mostly the same. This is no bad thing, considering the calibre of the previous iteration.

That’s not to say they haven’t been changing stuff around, it’s not feeling too stale. In addition to the new defending, the collision engine has been overhauled. This means for (theoretically) more realistic contact between players. And whilst that is the case (players can be knocked over with trailing legs, and there is now a lot more variation to players falling), it’s not the most polished. There have been plenty of incidents of players locking together, flipped legs, levitations and extended body parts. But overall, it’s a good addition

Take it quickly

The same can’t be said for the inclusion of quick throw-ins. A good, and logical, thought as an addition, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired. Often, the player will approach the ball, attempt to pick it up and kick it away from them, or just fail to pick it up all together. This leads to a bizarre moment of waiting for the game to give up and move to a normal throw in, which can take far too long. As a consequence, the quick throw-in often leads to more of a delay. For certain, not as well done as the initial addition of the quick free-kick

Play-by-play

Of course it wouldn’t feel right having a football game without commentary, and FIFA 12 is no different. Following the unceremonious sacking of Andy Gray from Sky, and subsequently EA, Alan Smith takes over to partner Martin Tyler as the main commentators. This has a nice side-effect of removing a slight bit of stagnation that the commentary had developed over the last few years, although Smith isn’t without his own annoying phrases.

The more eagle-eyed readers will have noticed I said “main” commentators in the last paragraph. That would be due to the inclusion of alternate commentary from Clive Tyldesley and Andy Townsend. The ITV duo is set to do commentary on cup games as default, which adds a little bit of variety and an authentic feel (you are also given the option to choose just one set of commentators if you have a preference, which is a nice touch).

Of course, as per usual, the commentators do have their moments of irritation. My main gripe is from the glitchesque way they deal with quick free-kicks. A quick free-kick opportunity is almost 100% of the time followed up with talk of the referee giving the offending player “a talking to”, a minor point perhaps, but a personally annoying one. This isn’t the only incident, but it happens enough for it to be noticeable.

Twe12th Man

Fans noises have been slightly improved, with rather muffled chanting that can be heard on TV, moulded to sound like common songs. With those of you with more imaginative sides, you’ll be able to hear the chants from your own ground when leading your team to another victory (I know I do). There is also a more consistent atmosphere, with the South Americans samba beat when they are playing and a silence in the crowd when the away team scores. FIFA 12 brings the FIFA series closer to authenticity.

A footballing brain

Career mode has had a little revamp compared to last season’s outing, for managerial roles, at least. There is more player interaction, with players moaning at not being played and the like. Career also adds a youth scouting element, which is fairly interesting initially, but is not in depth enough to keep interest for long. But Football Manager it is not, and generally still considered to be a) inferior to PES’s Master League mode, and b) more of a distraction from the other, more important modes that FIFA has.

He’s reaching for a card

For the first time in a FIFA game, Ultimate Team comes free straight out of the box. And I for one love Ultimate Team as a game mode. Collecting and trading cards just gives the sort of thrill that was quite easy to get as a child. Opening a pack to see David Silva or my first in form, reminded me of my thrill of opening a Pokémon card pack and seeing shiny Zapdos in there.

Once you’ve got your players, you have to create a team, managing contracts, morale, fitness and injuries, as well as backroom staff and manager. It’s important to create a team with the correct balance. Team chemistry also makes an important part or Ultimate Team, and determines how well your team plays together. Chemistry relies on several things: league, nationality, formation, manager and player quality, and all have to be managed. Strategising is important, so don’t think a team of put together superstars is going to perform (Not pointing any fingers)

Make no mistake, this is an EA microtransaction money-grabbing scheme, but it works. I dread to think how much I’ve spent on it so far, and I doubt that I’m finished. It’s addictive for sure, but I imagine it’s not a mode for everyone. If you’re one of the more impatient types, or have an addictive personality, and don’t have the money to burn, then I suggest you stay away.

In Net

FIFA 12 continues the minor year-based gimmick that has appeared over the last few years: FIFA 10 had 10 vs. 10 online play, FIFA 11 brought the goalkeeper into the fray so finally all 11 men were playable. FIFA 12 brings you in as the 12th man in Support Your Club. Support Your Club brings you and the rest of your FIFA 12 playing club supporters together in a living season, averaging daily XP (from playing matches, completing challenges etc.) from all players to decide points.

Now, a lot of people will have noted my complaints with general online play last year, and especially FIFA11. I can gladly say that this has been somewhat improved with this year’s online mode. Firstly, head to head matches are leagued, requiring a set number of points to both stay in the current league and avoid relegation, and to gain promotion to the next league. This means that disconnectors are less common as you head up the table. Furthermore, they seem to be able to detect the D/C players with more accuracy, and award a win more often than in the past.

Head to head seasons allows for tracking of matches that you’ve had with your friends in a league-like situation. This also allows you to browse through the results of previous matches and fight for a friend’s league trophy. Not only do this add bragging rights to an otherwise friendly match, it adds an extra spark when the season is coming to a close and one win could clinch it, ultimately leading to more competitive matches, of which I approve.

Be a Pro also still exists in the online arena, again offering the opportunity to play in 11 vs 11 matches. Having played a couple, I must say that the lag is amazingly rarely present, which is a hell of a feat for a 22 man connection. Although positioning does get thrown to the wind in these matches, I have to be honest. I’d suggest avoiding if you’re after something a bit more serious, but useful for a good laugh.

Full Time

In conclusion, EA aren’t resting on their laurels in the art of creating the best football game. As a Pro Evolution Soccer convertee as of FIFA 10, I can honestly say that EA are bringing the A game. Whilst not all additions are perfect (looking at you, quick throw in), they’re at least trying to bring a realistic experience. But, as has been said before, where can they go from here? A 3rd player controls the referee? Streaker mode? All I can say is FIFA 13 will likely bring the game to a new level, but at least for now, FIFA 12 is the pinnacle.

Rating: 8.9/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.