GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Medal of Honour:Allied Assault"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 31/01/02 at 10:55
Regular
If you have a PC, you *need* to get this game.

It is, quite simply, stunning.
The level everyone knows, Omaha beach doesn't actually arrive until the 3rd mission.
And yes, it is exactly like playing the beginning of Saving Private Ryan.
But it is without question, the greatest set-piece in computer gaming I have ever witnessed.
I'll do a proper review where it should be, but you need to try and understand the ferocity and jaw-dropping moment of landing at Omaha beach.

You start off in the boat.
You can look about the boat at the soldiers around you, the guy behind is green-faced and terrified (his expression changes as the shelling starts).
To your left are more boats.
The shelling starts.
Water explodes up and fizzes into your craft, the guy behind you starts to whimper and he's ducking down now.
Look to your left and the nearest boat explodes, sending bodies into air.
Your Sergeant behind you is shouting instructions but you can't hear him very well.

You reach the beach and the ramp drops down.
Before you are acres of beach, with barbed wire and metal anti-tank blockades buried into the sand.
You start to move forward and the first row of soldiers are hit, they do down in screams and now it's you in the water.
Bullets tear at you and you need to reach the 1st little bit of cover, but the water makes it slow to wade.
To your left and right, more soldiers are getting mowed down and explosions send more bodies flying through the air.

There's a break in the shooting for a few seconds, time to dash to the next meagre bit of cover.
There's 3 of you crouched behind a tiny metal strip of protection.
1 guy starts to move but is shot in the face, falls down and the guy next to you panics and runs.
He's dead now as well.

Bullets are still screaming through the air and explosions shake the beach.
All around you, soldiers are being blown to bits.
Run now?
You start to move but a stream of bullets whack into you, now your health is down from 100 to 32 in 4 seconds so you duck back.
You can see, in front and across what feels like a mile of sand, another tiny bit of cover.
Wait for a break in the shooting, wait for them to reload and then you're running in a crouch.
You fall behind the cover and your companion is sitting down, holding his head and shaking.
He's lost his mind, he's talking over and over about something.
To your right is another explosion, 3 soldiers are throw back down the beach along with mud and sand and screams.

Run, fall behind a small barrier.
Here is a medic, he gives you 50 health points so now you're on 60.
The Medic is tending to a guy laying at your feet.
The man is crying and the medic is trying to reassure him.
If you look closely, the medic takes the soldier's hand and holds him as he dies.

It's now only about 40 feet to the end of the beach.
But that 40 feet might as well be 40 miles.
Another break in the onslaught of shooting as the Nazis reload.
Stand and run, head for that crater.
An explosion throws bodies past you, the screams rise and are cut off.
You look back down the beach from the crater.
A soldier is dragging his fallen comrade to cover.
But a shell tears them both to pieces.
You can see some lucky men have reached the end of the beach, they're laying flat under the fire. Safe for now.

One final dash and you make it to the end of the beach.
Your Sergeant orders you back down to grab bangoliers.
That barbed wire has to be blown so you can proceed.
So you dash frantically to get them, bullet tearing the sand all around you.
You've got them, back to the Sergeant now and he blows the wire.
That's it, you've made it up the beach.
Now you just have to get to the trenches and clear the bunkers ahead of you.
---

That is the Omaha Beach level.
What sounds simple enough, clear the beach took almost an hour of constant reloading and retrying because you can barely move without being killed, until you start to learn to dash from cover to cover.
It is totally immersive and chaotic.
Furious machine gun fire streams you constantly, explosions tear the beach from under you.
Your comrades die next to you, friends are blown to pieces.

I cannot adequately describe the utter relentless fury of this beach level.
It's noisy and scary and frantic and it's more luck than skill if you make it to the top.

This is just 1 level of an amazing game that includes clearing a farm of Nazis etc.
Medal of Honour: Allied Assualt.

The best game I have played.
Ever.
Fri 01/02/02 at 15:44
Reaper[oV] wrote:

Never guess I'm more in to the tech side than
> gaming, would you...really, for any game now I'd recommend a 800mhz+ cpu, GF2
> and 128mb ram...minimum. I always find upgrading my boxen a little at a time far
> more cost effective than buying a whole new one when you've run the other in to
> the ground - as you replace each component, you can either put it in to another
> PC, or sell it for more than you'd get if you waited until you were ready to get
> rid of the whole PC; prices fall quickly.

You'd never guess that

So i should be ok then, will just need to buy new graphics card which i was planning on anyway.
Thanks Phil :-D
Thu 31/01/02 at 22:06
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Yep, played demo, excellent game - did anyone else find the multiplayer demo very bug ridden? I couldn't fault the single player at all, but the internet games put me off it a bit..presumably if you can play it online for 6 hours straight, it's better than the version I played, heh.

I quote specs form the box/readme:
Windows 95/98/ME; 500 MHz AMD K6-2 or Intel Pentium II processor; 64MB RAM; 4x CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drive; 16MB OpenGL capable video card with DirectX 7 compatible driver; DirectX 7 compatible sound card; keyboard; mouse.

Yes, you should be lenient, but some of the things people are quoting in here are a little over the top...it's the same with most games, as long as you pass the minimum specs then they will run, just don't expect it to be great. That may be more noticeable on something like this, with the graphical touches and effects you could miss, but it'll still run..

Also; beyond 32mb, the amount of memory on your graphics card doesn't matter, it's far more about the chipset. My 64mb MX200 is easily outperformed by my 32mb MX400. CPU speeds, RAM and so on...for the moment, once you've passed the 1ghz/256mb barriers (for gaming at least), the only thing that will make a difference is your graphics chipset. Old 3d mark 2001 score, with GF2 MX400 - 3246. New score with GF3 Ti500 - 6944. All the other parts of the pc left the same, that's a fairly massive increase, and the performance shows in games too.

Never guess I'm more in to the tech side than gaming, would you...really, for any game now I'd recommend a 800mhz+ cpu, GF2 and 128mb ram...minimum. I always find upgrading my boxen a little at a time far more cost effective than buying a whole new one when you've run the other in to the ground - as you replace each component, you can either put it in to another PC, or sell it for more than you'd get if you waited until you were ready to get rid of the whole PC; prices fall quickly.

You'd never guess that
Thu 31/01/02 at 21:09
Triple_H wrote:

I dont think
> it matters to be honest....I have AGP 64 graphics and the demo run fine on mine.
> As long as you have a decent card youll be ok I guess. The best thing to do is
> to download the demo or but PCZone and get the demo off there. You can then test
> if your machine is up for the performance

K - Cheers for the help :)
Thu 31/01/02 at 21:06
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
Goatboy. I can agree with you there!
Such a good mission, I played it around my mates house. Can't wait for it to be released here!

It truly was one of the greatest gaming moments in my life.
The explosion of the boat on my left, the flapping down off the front of the ship and everyone running out on to the beach bullets flying past shoulders and killing people infront of me. The atmosphere was terrific on that beach landing with one person crying, another being treated by a medic (who was very kind and revived my health)

Then I got to the end and they wanted my Bangaloor thingy from back where I came on a dead guys body.. Was he having a joke!?!

But that stretch from the waters to the shingle was a terrific gaming moment. No shooting from myself occurred and I can honestly second that Omagh is one of the best gaming moments ever.

I've even already written a walkthrough for it - complete with pictures :D Have a look it rocks!http://www.robsonherlock.clara.net/moh/omaghbeach.htm
Thu 31/01/02 at 21:03
Regular
"You Bum!!"
[wEiRd KiD] wrote:
> I got 800mhz P3
192mb Ram
But have built in graphics controller, so am getting
> Geforce 2 card soon, but problem is have no Agp slots, so only option is too get
> a pci version of the card, which only has 32mb. Reckon the game would work with
> it ? ...hope so, other wise looks like i'd have to buy a new motherboard so i
> can fit better graphics card.
I Play wolfenstein on my pc and that runs fine,
> graphics bit smudged, but that because graphics controller isn't up to much.

I dont think it matters to be honest....I have AGP 64 graphics and the demo run fine on mine. As long as you have a decent card youll be ok I guess. The best thing to do is to download the demo or but PCZone and get the demo off there. You can then test if your machine is up for the performance
Thu 31/01/02 at 21:00
Regular
"You Bum!!"
Ant wrote:
> This game will never work on my PC, I'm sure.

Any idea when it's coming out
> for PS2??

Its not unfortunately. Its coming out for the X-Box though
Thu 31/01/02 at 20:46
I got 800mhz P3
192mb Ram
But have built in graphics controller, so am getting Geforce 2 card soon, but problem is have no Agp slots, so only option is too get a pci version of the card, which only has 32mb. Reckon the game would work with it ? ...hope so, other wise looks like i'd have to buy a new motherboard so i can fit better graphics card.
I Play wolfenstein on my pc and that runs fine, graphics bit smudged, but that because graphics controller isn't up to much.
Thu 31/01/02 at 20:35
Regular
"That's right!"
Triple_H wrote:
> MoJoJoJo wrote:

And my copy of Medal Of Honour should be arriving on my
> door
> within the next few days hopefully, all thanks to SR! Cheers

It
> wont since it has been delayed for another 2 weeks according to SR

Yeah, I've seen different release dates from different sources, even two different ones here at SR... Bob only knows when I'll receive it
Thu 31/01/02 at 20:32
Regular
Get it from DVDboxoffice.com

Based in Canada, but they ship worldwide for free. Aint they nice...
Thu 31/01/02 at 20:27
Regular
Goatboy wrote:

But you can order it from Amazon and it
> arrives in 5 days.
Lovely.

Amazon.com Sales Rank: 4
Shipping: Currently, item can be shipped only within the U.S.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.