GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2 Killed the Dolphin!"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 14/09/00 at 06:41
Regular
It doesn't take a genius to realize that Nintendo doesn't like giving away secrets. Since the early days of the NES, they never let their competition, or the media for that matter, in on any of their works until the last minute. They left people wondering what had happened to their developments in some cases, and we'd even end up assuming they'd canceled some of it. It sounds bad, but it worked. In most cases, even if they released a system or game way beyond its expiration date, it still dazzled brighter than its competition.
It wasn't as much as Nintendo having the best tactics around, but Sega having very little. Sega, their main competition in the early 90's, didn't come close to knocking Nintendo off their perch, and as Sega continued to fail in advertisements and commercials Nintendo was aided to secure its top position.
Now, huge electronic company Sony is aware of their plans and thinks very little of them. Moreover, they know that what people are interested in is technology, not to sit in suspense as Nintendo finally decided to let some information roll. As October and November approaches, Sony's PS2 will only be receiving more and more publicity. You turn on the TV, you won't be hearing about the awesome new features of Nintendo's consoles, or their awesome interactive innovation; you'll be blown back with commercials about Sony's "emotion system", and the graphical enhancements it has made. This is, in my opinion, essentially, why Nintendo ran in second best to Sony.
Nintendo has the ability to stop this, though, from happening again. The recent news that Dolphin will in fact NOT be on show at August's Spaceworld, is not the way to solve the situation. The fact that Nintendo keeps holding back information on their Dolphin can only lead them downhill from here.
Now, I know I don't speak for everyone here, but I know that most people with an open mind can acknowledge the fact that "Project: Dolphin" will succeed Sony's efforts in many, if not, every way. This is not what their success will ride on, however. Whether they know how to tell the world and media that this is the case is what it all depends on.
Mon 02/10/00 at 12:31
"possibly impossible"
I agree, that is if you are talking about the Gamecube.
I have every faith in Nintendo and as I see more and more pictures of the console I feel more confident that it is going to be great. Of course, this is only an assumption and we'll have to wait and see how good the games console and the games are.
If Nintendo create amazing games like they have on every other console they've made then I'll buy one. I have fond memories of Mario kart, Metroid, WWF, Unirally and the Streetfighter series on the SNES and still love to play all those top games that I own on the N64 like Goldeneye, Mario (and Mario Kart) 64 among others.
To be honest, even if the gamecube doesn't do very well against the competition, I'll probably still buy one anyway!
Sun 01/10/00 at 19:40
I believe the the dolphin will be excellent. Have you seen Resident Evil Zero it looks ace. I think it will be the best Re games so far, even better than Cv.
Sun 01/10/00 at 13:29
Isnt it terrible how a company can dominate the games console scene by just having more money to advertise than anyone else.

An analogy would be the bully in the playground picking on the smaller, but brighter children because they have more muscle. What the smaller children need is someone who will stand up to the bully and fight on their behalf. Back to reality: Nintendo have made some great games for all their systems, and used to be top of the heap. But Sony come along and use their bully boy tactics to push everyone else out of the market. Nintendo must fight back to reclaim gaming for the people who want their games to be fun and not just an idea to make money by some corporate bigwigs.
I support the Gamecube and hope that Nintendo manage to do well with it, they have the amazing game creating knowledge, all they need is that extra push.
Sun 01/10/00 at 11:29
kudos wrote:
> Ok Its as simple as this NINTENDO while they may never again
> aspire to the dizzy heights of market dominance unlike their competiters
> NINTENDO have a huge and loyal fanbase to whom the GAMECUBE
> represents something akin to the Holy Grail for the legions of
> thirsting at the mouth watering prospect of playing all those
> exclusive to NINTENDO titles such as ZELDA,
> MARIO,METROID,KIRBY ,need i also mention POKEMON or for that matter
> the GOD that is RARE,with 128bit power,finished? i think NOT!
Sun 01/10/00 at 11:17
Ok Its as simple as this NINTENDO while they may never again aspire to the dizzy of market dominance unlike their competiters NINTENDO have a huge and loyal fanbase to whom the GAMECUBE represents something akin to the Holy Grail for the legions of thirsting at the mouth watering prospect of playing all those exclusive to NINTENDO titles such as ZELDA, MARIO,METROID,KIRBY,need i also mention POKEMON or for that matter the GOD that is RARE, finished? i think NOT!
Wed 20/09/00 at 19:36
I can't believe I've just read this dated pile of rubbish. I wish I could look into the future!!
Thu 14/09/00 at 16:59
Regular
Anyone get the feeling that he forgot to read the passage that he "wrote"?
"The recent news that Dolphin will in fact NOT be on show at August's Spaceworld"
Humm.
Thu 14/09/00 at 06:41
It doesn't take a genius to realize that Nintendo doesn't like giving away secrets. Since the early days of the NES, they never let their competition, or the media for that matter, in on any of their works until the last minute. They left people wondering what had happened to their developments in some cases, and we'd even end up assuming they'd canceled some of it. It sounds bad, but it worked. In most cases, even if they released a system or game way beyond its expiration date, it still dazzled brighter than its competition.
It wasn't as much as Nintendo having the best tactics around, but Sega having very little. Sega, their main competition in the early 90's, didn't come close to knocking Nintendo off their perch, and as Sega continued to fail in advertisements and commercials Nintendo was aided to secure its top position.
Now, huge electronic company Sony is aware of their plans and thinks very little of them. Moreover, they know that what people are interested in is technology, not to sit in suspense as Nintendo finally decided to let some information roll. As October and November approaches, Sony's PS2 will only be receiving more and more publicity. You turn on the TV, you won't be hearing about the awesome new features of Nintendo's consoles, or their awesome interactive innovation; you'll be blown back with commercials about Sony's "emotion system", and the graphical enhancements it has made. This is, in my opinion, essentially, why Nintendo ran in second best to Sony.
Nintendo has the ability to stop this, though, from happening again. The recent news that Dolphin will in fact NOT be on show at August's Spaceworld, is not the way to solve the situation. The fact that Nintendo keeps holding back information on their Dolphin can only lead them downhill from here.
Now, I know I don't speak for everyone here, but I know that most people with an open mind can acknowledge the fact that "Project: Dolphin" will succeed Sony's efforts in many, if not, every way. This is not what their success will ride on, however. Whether they know how to tell the world and media that this is the case is what it all depends on.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.