GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"read/write permissions"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 08/08/07 at 13:33
Regular
Basically the question i need answering is as follow...

I am writing a forum program and i need to be able to let the people using the chat program to be able to upload their picture to my website

CAN I DO THIS?

Its not the php code i need help with just whether freeola webspace allows read/write priveleges.
Wed 08/08/07 at 13:33
Regular
Basically the question i need answering is as follow...

I am writing a forum program and i need to be able to let the people using the chat program to be able to upload their picture to my website

CAN I DO THIS?

Its not the php code i need help with just whether freeola webspace allows read/write priveleges.
Wed 08/08/07 at 14:28
"Are you sure?"
Yes, you can!
Just use your favourite FTP application to set the required permissions...
Wed 08/08/07 at 14:54
Regular
thanks for your reply..

could you run through with me how i could do this please.

Also what FTP program you recommend. (i am kinda familiar with cuteftp)

thanks
Wed 08/08/07 at 15:03
"Are you sure?"
I like Filezilla [URL]http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/[/URL]
A free open source app. but Cute would work fine.

You just need to change the file permissions (CHMOD) as required.

As you are writing your own forum code you will need to ensure it is safe from hackers etc.!
Wed 08/08/07 at 15:17
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Folder permissions are more important! You need to create a folder where the images are going to be uploaded to. This folder needs to have the correct permissions to allow PHP to save files to it (write permissions) and to allow those files to be read again by the web server (so that they can be viewed on the web page).
Luckily this is easier than it sounds, simply fire up your FTP program and navigate to your htdocs folder. Create your image upload folder within this folder using your FTP program (right click the FTP view in CuteFTP) and this should automatically create the folder with the correct permissions.
Wed 08/08/07 at 15:25
Regular
so once i changefile/write permissions on the freeola server my users will be able to upload their pictures using a php form on my website?
Wed 08/08/07 at 16:04
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Well if you create a new folder for you PHP upload script to save the files to then you shouldn't need to change any permission as these are set correctly by the server when the folder is created.
Wed 08/08/07 at 16:20
Regular
ok thanks everyone for your comments ill try it later

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.