GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How & Why do YOU write reviews?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 14/01/12 at 10:45
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
So, I was doing some university presentation work earlier, and the thought of what games I can get round to doing reviews for, once the work is out of the way came into my head.

Then I asked myself why?

Why do I feel the need to write reviews in the first place? And what makes me pick these games over others?

Turns out the answer is pretty simple. I have a pretty large library of games, and a monthly rental, so I seem to pick games that I either play for a long time (i.e. FIFA, GT5), or have something I want to say about (Terminator Salvation). Games have the potential to give great entertainment, but also have the ability to give us great grievances. The outlet to be able to air those grievances in reviewing, in a semi-productive way, is useful.

So I pose those questions to you, the occasional and the prolific, members of the Freeola reviewing committee. And a further question:

How do you go about composing them?

Do you review as you play? Write notes? Plan? Do you write it all at once? Do you review your immediate first thoughts within hours of starting, or bring the game close to completion before voicing your opinion? Do you focus on completing a review on one game before starting another?

I'm curious...
Sat 14/01/12 at 20:14
Regular
I play through a game once purely for fun then i play it again thoroughly and take rough notes on paper as I progress, only then do I write anything, if somebody plays a particular game for only a few hours and then writes about it how can they possibly deliver an accurate verdict? (a mistake i've made so many times)

There are two reasons why I write, first and foremost I enjoy playing games and just like to share my opinions on them, secondly I want to be a videogames journalist at some point but before committing to that goal I first want to see if I have the potential to be a good writer.
Sat 14/01/12 at 13:31
Regular
"How Ironic"
Made a similar thread a few weeks back asking how people write their reviews. I tend to play through for enjoyment at first, until I feel I've played long enough to give fair judgement. Then usually play through again but with notes being taken. Tidy the notes into relevant sections (graphics, sounds etc.), bit of secondary research from the internet, get it all onto a word document and voila!
Sat 14/01/12 at 10:45
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
So, I was doing some university presentation work earlier, and the thought of what games I can get round to doing reviews for, once the work is out of the way came into my head.

Then I asked myself why?

Why do I feel the need to write reviews in the first place? And what makes me pick these games over others?

Turns out the answer is pretty simple. I have a pretty large library of games, and a monthly rental, so I seem to pick games that I either play for a long time (i.e. FIFA, GT5), or have something I want to say about (Terminator Salvation). Games have the potential to give great entertainment, but also have the ability to give us great grievances. The outlet to be able to air those grievances in reviewing, in a semi-productive way, is useful.

So I pose those questions to you, the occasional and the prolific, members of the Freeola reviewing committee. And a further question:

How do you go about composing them?

Do you review as you play? Write notes? Plan? Do you write it all at once? Do you review your immediate first thoughts within hours of starting, or bring the game close to completion before voicing your opinion? Do you focus on completing a review on one game before starting another?

I'm curious...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.