GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Krap"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Mortal Kombat 3'.
Sat 18/01/03 at 20:19
Regular
The whole point of Mortal Kombat is the blood-letting. Don't let anyone tell you different. Without the gore, without the finishing moves, without the ripping off of peoples' heads and sukking their brains out, Mortal Kombat doesn't kome anywhere klose to Tekken 4 or Virtua Fighter 4 or even Dead of Alive 2 as a beat 'em up game. Mortal Kombat is famous for letting you be able to throw your opponent into a pit of spikes or rip their spines from their still-spasming bodies. It's the only beat 'em up ever released that really gives you a feeling of bloodlust whilst playing it, all the other ones pale in komparison.

So...I kan understand why OPSM2 released a demo version of Deadly Alliance (shouldn't that be Deadly Allianke?) with their magazine this month (Issue 30, February). Bekause the game is just about to be released. But why issue it without the blood? And the finishing moves? Obvious, by restrikting their buying publik to over 18s only, which is what the demo-DVD would be rated as if the red stuff was inkluded, they'd lose sales.

Why not just issue two versions? A 15+ version without the blood as they did, and an 18+ version with the blood? I'm surprised Midway didn't insist on this in point of fakt, bekause the demo is bland, includes slippy feet syndrome, poor kollision detektion, and overall plays like a rushed Street Fighter game but without the fun.

I played it anyway, and I have to say that there's some very good plus points to come out of it. Firstly, there's a huge array of moves, sekondly there's a wealth of new modes in there, and thirdly just look at all those kombinations you kan pull off by flipping from one position to another just with a quikk tap of the L1 button.

I'm sure that be the time it's released they'll have sorted the issues I have with it (kollision detecktion being the worst fault), but overall it does make you wonder why some companies aktually put their demos onto DVDs when the main part of the game is snipped out by the publishers of the demo DVD and thereby presenting a kompletely different game.

Overall I think that it's going to be a hit game. One of those games that REALLY let you blow off a bit of steam after a hard day. It lets you vent those agressive instinkts that have been building up in a way that no other game ever really could.

Sure, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2003 is a relaxing game. But until they add a feature whereby you can kill your kaddy by spearing him with the flag on the 18th tee because he read the green wrong, it won't be perfekt. We've got EA, we've got EA Big, lets have a little EA Blood as well. Tiger Woods PGA Bloodbath sounds alot better, surely?

Why kan't Midway spell 'Combat' properly?
Mon 20/01/03 at 10:12
Regular
"Well hit on me..."
I'm gonna get the X-box version when it comes out.

Why?, I don't like the tekken style fighting games, combos never really have been my thing, I want something that me and my friends can pick up and play no problem.

Everyone has played mortal kombat at one point, and for anyone who has a version and a favourite character, then you should enjopy this,

Why?, because the moves are hardley changed.

I played the gameboy Advance version of this recently on an emulator, it was brilliant, within minutes Me and Scorpion had giot to know each other again.

The only games that kompare to this are Killer Instict and Street Fighter.

Love it.
Sun 19/01/03 at 22:14
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
It's not "Deadly Allianke" because it's a "see" sound rather than a "kay" sound.
Sun 19/01/03 at 12:59
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
Bought the OPSM2 mag, played it, not bad.

I know the game itself will be much better when it's released, especially with all the blooood that was missing from the demo.

I've always liked Mortal Kombat games and it's about time they made a sequel to no.4
Sun 19/01/03 at 12:47
Regular
Streets of Rage, the original, ruled all beat em up games!
Sun 19/01/03 at 05:15
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> Never have been interested in the Mortal Kombat games - any generation
> of them.

I got hooked on the arcade version and never played Street Fighter arcade machines again after that. To me, whilst MK doesn't include the technical prowess of it's contemporaries, it's the only beat 'em up that entertains, especially when you get to grips with the controls and can batter your opponent to a pulp in numerous imaginative ways every bout.

Did you never play the Megadrive or PSX versions? With Fatalities, Animalities, Babalities etc.? It was ground-breaking stuff for its time. MK was also the game that made the Australians start putting age classifications on videogames, and one of the first UK released videogames to get the press started on videogames being 'evil'.

So, whilst the games themselves are sometimes naff (which I tend to disagree with, only because I learnt all the moves for Sub Zero as a kid and they haven't really changed over the last 8 years, so whenever a new version comes out I'm usually bang up to date and can start progressing up the ladder straight away) they're an important part of gaming history and for collectors they're worth owning just for that reason. I've still got Mortal Kombat Trilogy for the PSX, which is so bug ridden I reckon it'll be worth a few bob in a decade or so as an example of how not to code a game.

Out of all my beat 'em ups, and I've got a few, Mortal Kombat Gold on the Dreamcast is the most played. Compared to Soul Calibur it looks very shoddy and amateurish, but that doesn't stop me from playing it more because it's more entertaining :)
Sat 18/01/03 at 21:53
"High polygon count"
Never have been interested in the Mortal Kombat games - any generation of them. They've always struck me as sub-standard fighting games which rely on shock tactics to cover their inadequacies. This one's no different.
Sat 18/01/03 at 21:27
Regular
I think that OPS2 would lose some magazine buyers because some younger readers couldnt go and buy it. saying that PLAY had a 18+ rating on its latest issue.
Sat 18/01/03 at 20:19
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
The whole point of Mortal Kombat is the blood-letting. Don't let anyone tell you different. Without the gore, without the finishing moves, without the ripping off of peoples' heads and sukking their brains out, Mortal Kombat doesn't kome anywhere klose to Tekken 4 or Virtua Fighter 4 or even Dead of Alive 2 as a beat 'em up game. Mortal Kombat is famous for letting you be able to throw your opponent into a pit of spikes or rip their spines from their still-spasming bodies. It's the only beat 'em up ever released that really gives you a feeling of bloodlust whilst playing it, all the other ones pale in komparison.

So...I kan understand why OPSM2 released a demo version of Deadly Alliance (shouldn't that be Deadly Allianke?) with their magazine this month (Issue 30, February). Bekause the game is just about to be released. But why issue it without the blood? And the finishing moves? Obvious, by restrikting their buying publik to over 18s only, which is what the demo-DVD would be rated as if the red stuff was inkluded, they'd lose sales.

Why not just issue two versions? A 15+ version without the blood as they did, and an 18+ version with the blood? I'm surprised Midway didn't insist on this in point of fakt, bekause the demo is bland, includes slippy feet syndrome, poor kollision detektion, and overall plays like a rushed Street Fighter game but without the fun.

I played it anyway, and I have to say that there's some very good plus points to come out of it. Firstly, there's a huge array of moves, sekondly there's a wealth of new modes in there, and thirdly just look at all those kombinations you kan pull off by flipping from one position to another just with a quikk tap of the L1 button.

I'm sure that be the time it's released they'll have sorted the issues I have with it (kollision detecktion being the worst fault), but overall it does make you wonder why some companies aktually put their demos onto DVDs when the main part of the game is snipped out by the publishers of the demo DVD and thereby presenting a kompletely different game.

Overall I think that it's going to be a hit game. One of those games that REALLY let you blow off a bit of steam after a hard day. It lets you vent those agressive instinkts that have been building up in a way that no other game ever really could.

Sure, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2003 is a relaxing game. But until they add a feature whereby you can kill your kaddy by spearing him with the flag on the 18th tee because he read the green wrong, it won't be perfekt. We've got EA, we've got EA Big, lets have a little EA Blood as well. Tiger Woods PGA Bloodbath sounds alot better, surely?

Why kan't Midway spell 'Combat' properly?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.