GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The good ol' days"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 21/01/03 at 08:05
Regular
2D. Unfortunately not acceptable in games anymore, and that is a real shame.

After all, surely 2D games are the best games? Remember the days of gathering up your mates on a Saturday afternoon, going to watch the footy, and then returning to your house for a full on war with Micro Machines 2? Whatever happened to that?

Games have got so big and have too much depth now to be considered as real 'fun'. I can't remember the last time i really felt as if i was playing a brilliantly simple, but oh-so-fun arcade game in my living room. Those were the days.

The Mega Drive was undoubtedly the ruler of all consoles. Remember the fun you used to have with that little black box? I don't think i played even one game and thought it was bad.

Remember Ranger X? Probably not. It's a shame though, because it was fantastic. I never actually owned it- it was a mate's, but i borrowed it on frequent occasions. One of the best games in the universe.

Remember Streets of Rage? Of course you do. Ah, the memories of beating someone $**tless and chucking them down a big hole on the sixth level. It might not have been very hard, but it was bloody good fun.

Remember Altered Beast? I do thanks to people who helped me out on this forum. I can't remember much about it- just that it was great fun.

Unfortunately, i made a very stupid mistake in the year of 1998. I [Look away Sega fans] sold my Megadrive in place of a PS. Sure, the PS was (and in some ways still is) an excellent piece of machinery, but hiding behind all the flashy graphics was a console that was inferior to the MD in all ways (Except looks, of course). PS arcade games? Boring and lifeless (Bishi Bashi special, for example. It was total $h**e). PS footy games? Erm, lets see. Countless FIFAs, and therefore countless FIFA rip-offs, hundreds of frankly poor Footy games (Actua Soccer, Addidas power soccer, the list goes on and on and on and on). Platformers? Let's have look. Crash bandicoot- frustration to the max. And that was it. Other platformers were around, but they were 100% total rubbish (Cheesy, for one).

Fair enough, the PS had one of the greatest games of all time (FF7), but the MD had hundreds of games which were just as fun to play.

And so i ask you this- what has happened to REAL games? Sure they might be all big, clever and realistic, but has the fun hidden in there somewhere been faded out of existence? Why do today's games insist on being one controversy case after another? Why do games today have to rely on violence, bad language, sex and all round outrage to sell? If you can answer these four questions, then you are a genious. Until a REAL games console is released and i don't have to settle for some glorified DVD player where you control what happens in the [bad] DVD's, i'm sticking with retro gaming, and am trying to get hold of another MD right now.
Sat 25/09/04 at 17:01
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
You realise he posted that over a year a go, right?
Sat 25/09/04 at 16:57
Regular
"Braaains"
buggy wrote:
> get on ebay lad and bid bid bid for that little black box genuis, The
> Glorious Mega Drive. It make me said to see sega in the state they
> are in.
>
> SEGA LIVES FOR EVER.
>
> I have a spare MD but no mains adapter for it.

Well, for about twenty quid you can get a Megadrive in a single joypad from Argos and other stores - coming complete with Sonic and a few other games built in, but you can't add your own. Or just look at the side of your MD, and buy a bog standard adapter that puts out the voltage the MD requires.
Wed 22/09/04 at 15:55
Regular
"0228"
True, many of the older games are fantastic but people just don't look at them as "cool" because, like you said, games rely on gangsters and violence to sell. It's the same with films aswell, nobody nowadays is going to watch The Wizard of Oz but years ago it was a hugely successful film. Times and fashions change, it's just us being nostalgic.
Wed 22/09/04 at 13:33
Regular
"Nicolaj"
I also miss the good old´days i am from 1991 but when i was a baby i remmber seen people playing 2D games what game i don´t remmeber but i feel like i lived in the 80´s
Wed 22/01/03 at 09:51
Regular
"Omnipresent"
I'll have it. contact me: [email protected]
Tue 21/01/03 at 23:29
get on ebay lad and bid bid bid for that little black box genuis, The Glorious Mega Drive. It make me said to see sega in the state they are in.

SEGA LIVES FOR EVER.

I have a spare MD but no mains adapter for it.
Tue 21/01/03 at 21:48
Regular
"Omnipresent"
I say that only because my recent "looking back post" kicked azz. BTW, I have a good home for unwanted games. Locky
Tue 21/01/03 at 16:30
Regular
"Party Hard"
locky1133 wrote:
> No offence, but if you win GAD with a "looking back post",
> I'll be pi$$ed. Locky

No offence taken. To be honest i just wanted to show that us newbies aren't all bad spelling and short, crappy posts. I'm not too bothered about winning, i really don't want any more games- i'm getting a bit fed up with them. I have better things to do with my time.
Tue 21/01/03 at 12:01
Regular
"Omnipresent"
No offence, but if you win GAD with a "looking back post", I'll be pi$$ed. Locky
Tue 21/01/03 at 08:05
Regular
"Party Hard"
2D. Unfortunately not acceptable in games anymore, and that is a real shame.

After all, surely 2D games are the best games? Remember the days of gathering up your mates on a Saturday afternoon, going to watch the footy, and then returning to your house for a full on war with Micro Machines 2? Whatever happened to that?

Games have got so big and have too much depth now to be considered as real 'fun'. I can't remember the last time i really felt as if i was playing a brilliantly simple, but oh-so-fun arcade game in my living room. Those were the days.

The Mega Drive was undoubtedly the ruler of all consoles. Remember the fun you used to have with that little black box? I don't think i played even one game and thought it was bad.

Remember Ranger X? Probably not. It's a shame though, because it was fantastic. I never actually owned it- it was a mate's, but i borrowed it on frequent occasions. One of the best games in the universe.

Remember Streets of Rage? Of course you do. Ah, the memories of beating someone $**tless and chucking them down a big hole on the sixth level. It might not have been very hard, but it was bloody good fun.

Remember Altered Beast? I do thanks to people who helped me out on this forum. I can't remember much about it- just that it was great fun.

Unfortunately, i made a very stupid mistake in the year of 1998. I [Look away Sega fans] sold my Megadrive in place of a PS. Sure, the PS was (and in some ways still is) an excellent piece of machinery, but hiding behind all the flashy graphics was a console that was inferior to the MD in all ways (Except looks, of course). PS arcade games? Boring and lifeless (Bishi Bashi special, for example. It was total $h**e). PS footy games? Erm, lets see. Countless FIFAs, and therefore countless FIFA rip-offs, hundreds of frankly poor Footy games (Actua Soccer, Addidas power soccer, the list goes on and on and on and on). Platformers? Let's have look. Crash bandicoot- frustration to the max. And that was it. Other platformers were around, but they were 100% total rubbish (Cheesy, for one).

Fair enough, the PS had one of the greatest games of all time (FF7), but the MD had hundreds of games which were just as fun to play.

And so i ask you this- what has happened to REAL games? Sure they might be all big, clever and realistic, but has the fun hidden in there somewhere been faded out of existence? Why do today's games insist on being one controversy case after another? Why do games today have to rely on violence, bad language, sex and all round outrage to sell? If you can answer these four questions, then you are a genious. Until a REAL games console is released and i don't have to settle for some glorified DVD player where you control what happens in the [bad] DVD's, i'm sticking with retro gaming, and am trying to get hold of another MD right now.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.