GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"DVD poblems"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 13/01/02 at 22:47
Regular
Please excuse me if this is an old story. I'm having problems with the DVD player on my PS2. I've only played two DVDs ever & they both have got just past halfway & then freeze & never move again. Games play fine. The screen shows a message that it can't read the disk. I've heard a similar problem with reading blue disks & CD's but DVD's were OK. Has anyone got any help? Thanks
Wed 16/01/02 at 17:25
Hi, just to confirm what someone les in the thread has already asked....

Do you have to use a ps2 memory card as opposed to a ps1 card for dvd region x?

Secondly. Will it wipe what's on your memory card if your card is not blank?

Thirdly, Can you use the card for saves after dvd region x has done its stuff?

I'm asking as none of the info on the web gives much detail about this.

Also seeing as dvd region x no longer comes with the plugin doohickey will it actually cost me 47 quid to get rid of the green screen and play region 1s?

Unless I want to delete my gt3 and devil may cry saves.... Which I don't, btw.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Geords.
Tue 15/01/02 at 22:08
bars-tard wrote:
> the multi region part of the action replay supports RGB and it works fine i've
> got it :)

I've seen it working and it does not give RGB quality ! It just blocks the RGB signal.
Tue 15/01/02 at 18:03
Regular
"maximum homerdrive"
the multi region part of the action replay supports RGB and it works fine i've got it :)
Tue 15/01/02 at 17:26
Regular
"Bah"
theres only enough room for 1 matrix! just kidding.
Ive played laods of DVD's through the PS2 normal scart connector and the qaulity is great, ite never had voice lip sync probs and pricture quality is as good as my £300 sony machine. most of the the problems are caused by dusty or scratched CD's/DVD's
MM
Tue 15/01/02 at 17:00
Bonus wrote:
> Yuo can get rid of the green screen without modifying your PS2, get a DVD region
> X, go to their website and update the codes......

I have it, and it works
> perfectly......

I bought DVD Region X on the weekend and didnt need to put any codes in???

Anyway, one quick question 'bout it...

When u now have the DVD Region X on your memory card, can yoiu save on that card or is it now worthless, as I have over 7,000 space left???

Any answers apreciated...
Cheers.
Tue 15/01/02 at 16:37
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
No, the TV isn't old, it's brand new (I got it for Christmas) and it's a pretty good one too.
I've just checked and Scart AV1 (the RGB socket) has 21 pins as does Scart AV2 (the S-Video socket). Maybe it's just a mistake in the manual.
I've decided to get an S-Video lead from GAME for my PS2 and will buy an RGB lead for my Gamecube.

Well, that's all this stuff sorted for me. Thanks to everyone who helped.
Tue 15/01/02 at 14:25
Yep, an S Video cable is the best bet I'd say, my tv hasn't got that kind of connection but I can just about manage to change the switch on my blaze cable :)
Tue 15/01/02 at 14:23
Uncle Albert wrote:
> Thanks for the help, but the question I was really trying to get across is will
> this lead work with my TV seeing as my TV has a 16 pin socket and it says in the
> SR mag that it's a 21 pin lead.

Right, I've just looked at my Blaze cable and it does indeed have 21 little pins in. Check your scart socket and see if it actually has just 16 pin holes. If it has only 16 then Im stumped because all the scart stuff Ive seen has the same size connector and obviously a 16 pin connector is going to be smaller than a 21 pin one. Is it a very old tv ?

If you do have 21 pin holes ( maybe the tv only uses 16 of them ? many scart cables dont have 21 pins in in order to be able to work, my VCD one has 16 but fits the 21 pin socket)then you're okay.

Alternatively *hushed whisper* buy a cable from a store like Game where you can easily return it if not satisfied, ortravel to the nearest SR store but I dont know how easy that is 4 u !
Tue 15/01/02 at 14:04
For 'Stanger in Paradise' + 'Bonus'

Thanks for clarifying the issue with the RGB workarounds. From your comments, I'm taking it that the only way to get true RGB is with warranty invalidating modification of the hardware. Would it be correct to assume then, that the easiest and best solution is to buy an S Video cable?
Mon 14/01/02 at 20:16
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Thanks for the help, but the question I was really trying to get across is will this lead work with my TV seeing as my TV has a 16 pin socket and it says in the SR mag that it's a 21 pin lead.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.