GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"When will platinum games be introduced to ps2"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 12/01/02 at 23:13
Regular
we all know selling playstation games for £20 was a great way to sell the remaining stock of their old games, so why don't they making games like tekken tag and timesplitters £20 to attract newcomers to the console.
Sun 13/01/02 at 17:19
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
The games will have to stop selling as well before the range comes out, so we'll probably see small, consistent price drops before the range is launched.
Sun 13/01/02 at 16:11
the "platinium" range on ps2 will be called a very cheesy name something like mega hits :S
Sun 13/01/02 at 13:01
Regular
"Conversation Killer"
well when i went to toys r us the other day they were selling old games for £20, and army men games for a tenner.
Sun 13/01/02 at 11:57
Regular
"Bah"
kool
MM
Sun 13/01/02 at 04:44
Regular
"maximum homerdrive"
yep i read it in PSM2 and they have it in japan already (as always) and the us get i next year then i suppose we might a few months later. they've also brought this budget range out quicker than they did with the old platinum range which was close to the death of PS1.

sounds good GT3 and Tekken for £20 i'll snap those up
Sun 13/01/02 at 00:21
"High polygon count"
DreamWarBird wrote:
> I reckon games developers will put there own games under a 'Platinum' tag. Like
> on the Dreamcast, Acclaim re-relased there old games under the tag 'Acclaim
> Classics' for a discounted price. I think this will happen over time aswell as
> Sonys own 'Platinum' tag.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think Sony's license agreement prevents developers from releasing their own buidget ranges. There's nothing to stop shops reducing the price of older games, but not the developers themselves. I *think*.

There has been a budget range launched in Japan, at the equivalent price of £20, under the name "Mega Hits" which contains three titles at the moment - Onimusha, GT3 and Tekken Tag. The range currently scheduled to be launched in the US early this year - UK date is unknown.

I think the criteria for the PSone Platinum Range was that a game had to have been out for a year, and have sold one million copies or more. This has clearly changed for the PS2 range, as I don't believe Onimusha or GT3 have been available for a year even in Japan.
Sat 12/01/02 at 23:37
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
As I previously said, this bargain range is on it's way. A number of titles have already been spoken about as the first entires to the range.

I'm not sure of when they plan to get the whole system going but i'd presume towards the later-half of the year we'll be getting a 'platinum' range of some description.
Sat 12/01/02 at 23:35
Regular
ResÆvilfan wrote:
> I read in PSW a platnium range or something similar has already begun in Japan.
> Tekken tag, ridge racer 5 and many of the launch titles are availible at budget
> price, no word on the UK though :-(

I also read it but I dont know why there isn't one any where else as they took the numbers of copies sold worldwide ie each of these games even gran turismo 3 have sold more than 1 million copies worldwide.
Sat 12/01/02 at 23:32
Regular
"All about the Beats"
Its like GoldenEye on N64. It was one of the first games on N64 but it was at full price for years after the realise!(well it was a Classic!)
Sat 12/01/02 at 23:29
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Alot of older PS2 games can be bought pretty cheap. Oni is on special offer everywhere, or maybe they just need to get rid of it.

Platinum ranges are good. I've never actually bought a old game, but cheap games can be good for new buyers or people who dont want to spend £40 on a game. Alot of new PS2 owners may want to buy some of the better launch titles and at £40 maybe over looked by something freash and new. But at £20 it could be snapped up. I think Sony should start releasing the launch games on Platinum for £20. Then add a game after a year or so after its been to the platinum range depending on how good it did. Some thing like GT3 should be kept at the full price for longer than say an Army man game(which should only be about £10 in the first place).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.