GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Advanced Game Controllers"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 08/09/00 at 16:43
Regular
I know the concept could be very expensive, but the idea of Controllers having advanced technology is not a bad idea. I feel that this controller that I have made for a bit of fun, will be suitable for a Console of the future.

1. My Controller will be called "Touch Zone"
2. Inside the Controller there will be a small heater, a vibrater (er... you know what I mean) and a scent activated disperser.
2. The idea of the controller is to match the environment you, the player is in. An example, playing a Shooting game, having the enemy with a Flame thrower burning you. The Controller would reconigise this and activate a very low-powered heater. We dont wont First degree burns here! Walking through a restarant would activate the Scent, top up carts would be available. All of these ideas would add realism to the player playing the game.
3. Like dual shock, when a action happens in the game, a shock will be sent to the controller.
4. I feel the controller should have a built in microphone, simular to the one coming out on the dreamcast which gives the player a option to talk whilst playing online gaming.
5. I know this would be very expensive, and would never be made in mass production, but its just a bit of fun!
Sat 09/09/00 at 17:24
maybe so but we will come back to the great games and remember the fun we had playing them
Sat 09/09/00 at 16:29
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I see your point Big D, but all these little extras are worth developing by the gaming industry, as well as the gameplay elements of the games, because it's the overall experience of playing games that is enhanced by developments in hardware.

Of course software development is important too, but hardware development needs to be looked at, and future gamers in about 10 years time will be looking back on the pads we use today and have a good laugh I expect.
Sat 09/09/00 at 13:41
All this talk about advanced controllers has made everyone forget one thing which is that games are meant to be fun and if we put to much emphysis on the controller the fun will be out of the window
Sat 09/09/00 at 11:32
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Going back to the VR topic started a while back, (See "And now for something completely different" previously), what happened to VR? Why can't we have a glove that allows you to grasp objects in cyberspace and manipulate them how you will, this could apply not just to games but to ordinary applications as well. For example, you could just point to a file to select it, click fingers to open it, and so on....

It seems to me that developers have just given up on the idea of advanced control design as just too much of a bite out of their R&D budgets, and the closest we got was motion-capture.

My ideal controller would be voice activated, we have the technology now for this, but it's still in infancy. However, shouting "Bang!" at the screen when playing Resident Evil might make you look a bit silly.....
Sat 09/09/00 at 10:55
All this talk of new controllers reminds me of the April fools jokes run by C&VG over the past years, with mind control headsets in production and new style joysticks that were too good to be true. (They also ran a naked Lara Croft cheat for Tomb Raider that ran for ages...)
What we're looking for is a different way to interact with the computer/console. At the moment it's only through vibration and voice control, I say up the vibration a few hundred volts and then you'll feel pain! But seriously folks, would mind interaction really work? What about viruses on PC, could they be downloaded into someone's mind? I wouldn't trust a mind device on the X-Box, Microsoft in your mind anyone?
Fri 08/09/00 at 21:31
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Look- when I play any game, there is always one problem- to do all these great tricks and stuff, what do you have to do? Press coloured pieces of plastic- that's what. Of course, fishing rod contollers are all well and good, but we need to think beyond this. For example, why not have tilt switches in controllers like the Freestyle pads? You could move the character/car with the analogue stick, and move the controller around to turn you character's head- how great would that be! No more need for the R shoulder button!

Rav
Fri 08/09/00 at 21:00
If you want game controllers fine. What I would like too see would be controllers controlled by mind and will power! It would be less stressfull on the old fingers, as I usually end up with blistters, the mind would be perfect in every way. No doodgy buttons, just clear, simple thought. Or even better, have the pictures implanted in your mind so you don't need cables, consoles, Tv's just yourself. The thoughts don't need to be 3D as you know how real dreams can be. I think this would be great but it seems a long way off.

Just attach some kind off transmitter on too your neck and let the game flow.

Game example - If you played Tekken for example, you would be face too face with the computer and every hit you take, it could make you feel exshausted or unconsious or some kind of pain, too make it that bit more realistic. Game makers please consider this even though the technology doesn't exsist.
Fri 08/09/00 at 16:43
I know the concept could be very expensive, but the idea of Controllers having advanced technology is not a bad idea. I feel that this controller that I have made for a bit of fun, will be suitable for a Console of the future.

1. My Controller will be called "Touch Zone"
2. Inside the Controller there will be a small heater, a vibrater (er... you know what I mean) and a scent activated disperser.
2. The idea of the controller is to match the environment you, the player is in. An example, playing a Shooting game, having the enemy with a Flame thrower burning you. The Controller would reconigise this and activate a very low-powered heater. We dont wont First degree burns here! Walking through a restarant would activate the Scent, top up carts would be available. All of these ideas would add realism to the player playing the game.
3. Like dual shock, when a action happens in the game, a shock will be sent to the controller.
4. I feel the controller should have a built in microphone, simular to the one coming out on the dreamcast which gives the player a option to talk whilst playing online gaming.
5. I know this would be very expensive, and would never be made in mass production, but its just a bit of fun!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.