GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Do games make us ill?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 12/02/03 at 20:07
Regular
My dad is always saying to me whenever I have been on my Playstation2 for a few hours "give it a rest! You'll get square eyes!". This is a common saying with adults if you spend too much time at a PC screen, playing computer games or sitting too close to the TV screen. There is no way this can be true as everyone would be walking around with square eyes as everyone has been told that at some point in their lives. Are adults just trying to scare us or do they know something us teenagers and kids don't?

I am pretty sure that I haven't got square eyes but something that I am aware of is that after playing on my Playstation2 for a long period of time I get a spliting headache and my eyes hurt for the rest of the day! What do they put in the TVs and Playstation2s which cause this effect on us? I have tried playing for half an hour and then stopping for a ten minute rest but doesn't seem to do the trick, I still get the headache I had from playing non-stop! Have any of you had this problem? I don't normally get this when playing Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex or Jak and Daxter, it seems only to come after playing Grand Theft Auto 3, Gran Turismo 3, Grand Theft Auto Vice City, The Getaway and 007 Nightfire. I reckon it is to do with concentrating too hard on a certain mission or being so close to winning a race I think I am going to lose so I concentrate and grip the controller so hard that my hands start to sweat! Weird Huh!!

But when I am concentating really hard in an exam I don't feel like this so it must be only when I play my Playstation2. Maybe I am allergic to playing games for over an hour! Whatever it is, it sure is weird and I feel like my Playstation2 is taking over my whole body and all of my ability to control what I am doing seems to disappear! I started to get migraines so I was told by my mum that I was only allowed to play on my Playstation2 2 to 3 times a week instead of 5 to 6 times which I was doing before I cut down. At first I hated this new rule but at least my migrains have calmed down leaving me with peaceful gaming!!

If you have been affected by my story please call freephone :

0800 222 678 (open 0 days a week!)

Please reply to this message if you have been through something like what I have been through so I will know if I am not alone on this issue!

pring

(Ps2 master!)

(Well, until the migrains started anyway!)
Wed 28/05/03 at 00:28
Regular
well i sure hope they do!
Thu 22/05/03 at 10:48
Regular
"slacker zer0"
i used to get headaches when i played halflife or CS but now im ok with fps and games like that, i now get headaches when i play freelancer.
alot of the headaches are caused by the refresh rate of your screen, i dunno how you change this on a tv but you can do it on pcs.
Wed 21/05/03 at 08:16
Regular
"I am Riki Takeuchi!"
I never get ill (haven't had a day off school for almost 7 years. And I've been a lot more into the gaming the last 3/4 years than ever, so games do not make us (or at least me, with the great immunity system, yet I despise fruit and vegetables) ill.

Ergh, that was horrible written by me. I hate long brackets :/
Tue 20/05/03 at 17:11
Regular
"Marmighty man"
While playing Mickey's Speedway I started vomiting all over the floor. The thought that one of my friends had lowered himself to that level made me want to cry.
Tue 20/05/03 at 12:01
Regular
"Hallelujah"
Do games make us ill? Some do, for example the other day i was playing kiss chase with someone who had herpies...
Sat 17/05/03 at 23:06
Regular
The answer is, dont give yourself to the game. Dont put your mind into the game, play with an abstract perception, as if your staring at the screen rather then in the screen. Relax mostly, and dont over react to certain scenes e.t.c like when you panick or get stressed when you need to complete a mission. Also use a LCD monitor as these emit no radiation, and have a clearer and more vibrant contrast which affects your concentration subconcioussly.
Sat 17/05/03 at 12:06
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
http://ukchatforums.reserve.co.uk/ display_messages.php?threadid=52635&forumid=185

I won GAD for this a few months ago. It addresses the hazards, and the prevention of hazards when playing Computer games.

It also seems that Mr. Ripper was actually Insane Bartender- something I was unaware of!
Sat 17/05/03 at 11:54
Regular
headaches are mostly caused by incorrect or unsuitable monitor/tv settings. contrasts too low or too high can be the problem - because it's like clashing colours.
Thu 15/05/03 at 16:35
Regular
"Aoe Master"
the_aoe_slaught wrote:
> This doesnt happen to me, unless i'm playing age of empires for over 5
> hours straight.
>
> I usually find that nothing cures the headache better than... nothing,
> whatever i've tried, nothing works, lieing down, running outside,
> drinking, eating, sleeping, headache pills (i was surprised this
> didn't work). I have gotten used to the frequent headaches, and now
> it's just part of my life.

yer same do u ave a msn zone name by the way i am _F_0_X_
Thu 15/05/03 at 07:42
Regular
"\\"
This doesnt happen to me, unless i'm playing age of empires for over 5 hours straight.

I usually find that nothing cures the headache better than... nothing, whatever i've tried, nothing works, lieing down, running outside, drinking, eating, sleeping, headache pills (i was surprised this didn't work). I have gotten used to the frequent headaches, and now it's just part of my life.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.