GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"OpinioNation"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 13/02/03 at 19:43
Regular
In a world where the gaming industry is at an all time high, and where technology is at its peak performance, I find it disturbing how different aspects of the media are capable of swaying a gamers mind.

In a perfect world all games would be good, everything would be sculpted from cheddar and Charmin ultra would come as standard in public toilets. But, unfortunately, this is not a perfect would (just look at BEARDS for example) and not all games are good. But then again, what is good? It all depends upon what style of game you are looking to play, and it is unfair to brand games as being 'good' or 'bad'. People are being swayed by reviews and other peoples opinions instead of trying the game first hand, and then it is possible to judge whether you like a certain game or not. It isn't just the gaming industry that has this problem, but I will be using it as my example as it is the industry I am most familiar with.

It is nearly impossible to truthfully say that you have not been swayed by the medias judgement, or another person’s outlook. This method of judgement may actually be corrupting the industry, as games that are potentially great are just ignored because of a prejudgement swayed by other secondary sources. Sure, a game may have glitches and other problems, but no game is perfect. Take Halo, for example, (in my opinion) its a great game without a doubt, but I doubt Bungie (the developer) made Blood Gulch so you can fly right on top of it in a ghost, did they? ( <--- Not rhetorical). No game is perfect, and I believe no game has the potential to be perfect, as everyone holds different observations and opinions.

I believe the dreamcast was a victim of this sort of discrimination, the media are not to blame in this example, but other people walk round running their mouth off about how the Dreamcast is rubbish, when they haven't actually even seen one of the beauts'. It is only natural to consider their views and then, just like that, you are part of an Opinionated Nation.

Carry on buying the magazines, by all means, but do not become misconceived by reviews and views. The only reliable judgement is yours, and that is the only one you should remember. The future of good gaming is in your hands, and the future of gaming only looks good - if you consider what I have said. Screw the views, Play the Game.

Rent games if you are unsure, destroy the reviews you once relied on, you are now free, you have escaped, just keep walking where you go, carry on through the estate, stare at the geezers so they know you aren’t lightweight, I've escaped from OpinioNation, won't you join me?

Take Care
Sfone
Thu 13/02/03 at 19:43
Regular
"QPR 1974"
In a world where the gaming industry is at an all time high, and where technology is at its peak performance, I find it disturbing how different aspects of the media are capable of swaying a gamers mind.

In a perfect world all games would be good, everything would be sculpted from cheddar and Charmin ultra would come as standard in public toilets. But, unfortunately, this is not a perfect would (just look at BEARDS for example) and not all games are good. But then again, what is good? It all depends upon what style of game you are looking to play, and it is unfair to brand games as being 'good' or 'bad'. People are being swayed by reviews and other peoples opinions instead of trying the game first hand, and then it is possible to judge whether you like a certain game or not. It isn't just the gaming industry that has this problem, but I will be using it as my example as it is the industry I am most familiar with.

It is nearly impossible to truthfully say that you have not been swayed by the medias judgement, or another person’s outlook. This method of judgement may actually be corrupting the industry, as games that are potentially great are just ignored because of a prejudgement swayed by other secondary sources. Sure, a game may have glitches and other problems, but no game is perfect. Take Halo, for example, (in my opinion) its a great game without a doubt, but I doubt Bungie (the developer) made Blood Gulch so you can fly right on top of it in a ghost, did they? ( <--- Not rhetorical). No game is perfect, and I believe no game has the potential to be perfect, as everyone holds different observations and opinions.

I believe the dreamcast was a victim of this sort of discrimination, the media are not to blame in this example, but other people walk round running their mouth off about how the Dreamcast is rubbish, when they haven't actually even seen one of the beauts'. It is only natural to consider their views and then, just like that, you are part of an Opinionated Nation.

Carry on buying the magazines, by all means, but do not become misconceived by reviews and views. The only reliable judgement is yours, and that is the only one you should remember. The future of good gaming is in your hands, and the future of gaming only looks good - if you consider what I have said. Screw the views, Play the Game.

Rent games if you are unsure, destroy the reviews you once relied on, you are now free, you have escaped, just keep walking where you go, carry on through the estate, stare at the geezers so they know you aren’t lightweight, I've escaped from OpinioNation, won't you join me?

Take Care
Sfone
Thu 13/02/03 at 19:47
Regular
Sfone wrote:

> It is nearly impossible to truthfully say that you have not been
> swayed by the medias judgement,

Whats a medias?

To be honest though, I know that the media barf out loads of rubbish everyday, that's why newspapers are only read for the comics section, and what is going on in the world, which, also, half the time is a load of (Pardon My French) Tripe. Never swayed have I been.

Good Post there Sfone, and, what is the logic behind that name?
Thu 13/02/03 at 19:49
Regular
"QPR 1974"
media's... sorry
Thu 13/02/03 at 19:50
Regular
"QPR 1974"
> Good Post there Sfone, and, what is the logic behind that name?

you may remember me, you may not

(S)am (F)ourty (one)
Thu 13/02/03 at 19:51
"For the horde!!!!"
quite a few long long threads today i woulder which with win GAD maybe the one with the most waffle
Thu 13/02/03 at 19:52
Regular
Backfired joke, sorry.

It was meant to mean, that I have no idea what the media is, and by that, I can't be swayed by them, as, well, what are they?
Thu 13/02/03 at 19:53
Regular
Shadow Knight wrote:
> quite a few long long threads today i woulder which with win GAD maybe
> the one with the most waffle

WAFFLE WAFFLE WAFFLE, waffle waffle waffle, Wa - Aw, FUl

Will I win fot that?
Thu 13/02/03 at 19:54
Regular
"QPR 1974"
Flebu wrote:

> It was meant to mean, that I have no idea what the media is, and by
> that, I can't be swayed by them, as, well, what are they?

Ah, sorry mate. That kinda made me look stoopid, honestly I'm not

*cries*
Thu 13/02/03 at 19:57
Regular
ANd, yes, I do remember you, but, I thought Sam Forty One was a reggie? EH?
Thu 13/02/03 at 20:08
Regular
"QPR 1974"
I think my stats were reset when i had to input my details again, for some odd reason. And now I am just using this account to write meaningful discussions, as spamming isn't my style

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.