GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"An Evolution, In A Lifetime.."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 15/02/03 at 00:00
Regular
I look back on my vast majority of games consoles and games, I enjoyed many moments on these machines, I will never regret the day I picked up my master system controller and became addicted to Sonic. I will never regret the day I upgraded my hardware, as technology became more powerful, I have appreciated every game I have ever owned. From here I can see the evolution, an evolution that has took place during my lifetime, a rapid evolution with an industry that became obsessive, and greedy.

I find it hard to believe that my master system was once the pinnacle of graphical achievement, I find it hard to believe how drastic the industry has changed.

The games I remember so fondly, Pac man and Tetris, Sonic and Mario brothers, were all the start of a huge franchise, a franchise that created such a huge fan base, the industry is at its peak, making millions of dollars per year. I played Pac man for hours on end, not to know what the next 10 years of my life will hold for an industry that is in its infancy. It is hard to believe that such games have helped the rapid evolution of one of the most popular form of entertainment to date.

With these games creating a steady franchise, gamers wanted more, they wanted to experience something new, something refreshingly new. The next stage of evolution was the biggest step the industry has ever made. The games became 3 dimensional adding an incredible layer of realism, depth and potential for the industry. Without this evolution, I doubt the industry would have succeeded, and inevitably caused gamers to ‘die out’.

With the 3 dimensional movement, came 3 dimensional counterparts of the characters gamers had learned to adore, we saw Mario & we saw Sonic, both these games did particularly well to adapt to the new technology. Unfortunately, Pac man could not compete in its 3D form, it was survival of the fittest, and Pac Man just couldn’t compete. Pac Man 3D was a flop, and the franchise was left in the history books.

The next attempt of evolution came in the form of online play. PC gaming was in all its glory and the newly released Dreamcast offered new capabilities. But was the console market ready for another step in the evolution ladder so soon? Regrettably for SEGA, their bold move, and attempt at evolution was too soon, but only when SEGA were on a swift decline they were able to notice this. The Dreamcast was a huge flop, and sadly eliminated SEGA from the hardware industry. What was next for an industry that has been a part of you for your lifetime?

Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft all release their new consoles, but what did these bring in terms of evolution? The most innovative feature of the next generation consoles came in the form of a hard drive which is contained within Microsoft’s baby, seconded only by the handle on the Gamecube. The consoles did not seem to offer anything totally new, to offer an original experience, and on paper, they just offered updated specs from their predecessors. To a gamer it was difficult to notice that the industry was struggling, all games seemed to be over hyped, and old franchises were kept alive, but only just. The consoles were competing, like never before. It was getting personal, and all console developers are suggesting that they are going to beat the others when bringing out their new consoles.

The industry takes a step backwards and decides to retry SEGAS online console gaming idea. All the consoles were competing strongly for the number one spot, permanently being reminded about SEGAS failure. The online franchise became incredibly popular, but ideas were running low. After re-releasing many titles with online capabilities, the industry knew it had to think of something spectacular for its ever-demanding fan base.

The industry became desperate and it was not to know that an unknown Canadian company had virtual reality in its infancy. Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo all attempt to buy out the company, as they knew it was a 'make or break' situation. To some gamers it was becoming obvious that the industry was becoming greedy for money, but the industry continue to pump out many mediocre, over hyped games.

The Canadian company was sold to Microsoft, who invested nearly all their money into the situation. The Xbox 2 went on sale, and everyone was willing to try out the new Virtual Reality technology. It was a complete flop. Microsoft promised something that they didn't deliver. The punters became angry, and Microsoft became bankrupt. Microsoft were eliminated from a market, they could have dominated, with time, consideration and passion for games.

Nintendo and Sony concentrate on their next consoles, trying to create something that will change the industry forever. After years of failure, the two companies decided to combine as well as SEGA. A force that would dominate the industry for years to come, if they were to remember how games were made. Gamers all over the land were expecting the developers to go back to their roots, and make games with a passion, like they once remembered. The company failed to release one piece of hardware, before they were announced bankrupt. It was their entire fault; they thought biding their time with mediocre games would make them money to invest in something big. This was not the case. The console industry came to an end, and the history book was closed. Maybe to be re-opened when someone discovers how to make games, without becoming obsessed with money.

As a youngster I thought I would never hang up my joy pads, I thought I would only consider doing so, when I am dead. I am not dead, but the industry I had lived alongside is long gone. I do not feel remorse, and I still play my older consoles. I can see the mistakes; I can see the mistakes.......

Sfone
Wed 19/02/03 at 16:46
Regular
"QPR 1974"
King Kong wrote:
> Deserved it mate, good post!

Cheers Mate ;)
Wed 19/02/03 at 16:32
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
Deserved it mate, good post!
Wed 19/02/03 at 16:24
Regular
"QPR 1974"
Wahey!

I've won GAD for this, cheers for the feedback everyone.
And thank you Special Reserve.

Cheers
Sun 16/02/03 at 14:20
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Shadow Knight wrote:
> TÞhi wrote:
> Some very good points made here and another great post.
> Personally, Nintendo's decision of releasing their next console in
> 2005 which will probably be before Sony and Microsoft is mimicking
> Sega's fateful decsion to do the same. And do I need to continue?
>
> 2005 that soon? thats only 2 years away!

In the genaral scheme of things, as the GameCube launched here last year, just 3 years for a console's life is incredibly short. I just hope they keep the pads or memory cards the same so I dont have to buy new ones...
Sun 16/02/03 at 13:10
Regular
Adamario wrote:
> Cyclone wrote:
> SNES was better.....
>
> :D
>
> Differant era's, differant era's....
>
> Tut Tut

NES was better. :D AHA!
Sun 16/02/03 at 12:58
Regular
"Cardboard Tube Ninj"
Adamario wrote:
> As Sega use to be the best and richest gaming company around, how
> could just a bad sale of one console (Dreamcast) make them go
> bankrupt? Does anybody know? Is there some other reason?

The Saturn. That's two console failures.

Pointless Mega-CD things. Let's count that as 3.

The decline in Arcade popularity. Let's count that as a half.

So, three and a half major failures. That's enough to send a lot of companies bust.
Sun 16/02/03 at 00:31
Regular
"Dr. Chad Niga"
As Sega use to be the best and richest gaming company around, how could just a bad sale of one console (Dreamcast) make them go bankrupt? Does anybody know? Is there some other reason?
Sat 15/02/03 at 11:36
"For the horde!!!!"
TÞhi wrote:
> Some very good points made here and another great post.
> Personally, Nintendo's decision of releasing their next console in
> 2005 which will probably be before Sony and Microsoft is mimicking
> Sega's fateful decsion to do the same. And do I need to continue?

2005 that soon? thats only 2 years away!
Sat 15/02/03 at 11:32
Regular
"Comfortably Numb"
no,it's all mine.
gme gme gme!
Sat 15/02/03 at 11:20
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Mmmmm, this Xbox 2 malarky sounds good, can I have one??

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.