GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sid Meier's Pirates (PSP)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Sid Meier's Pirates'.
Wed 18/07/07 at 22:00
Regular
"Captain to you."
I used to use my Amiga CD32 all the time, and the one game that barely ever go out on my drive was Pirates Gold. (some of you might want to “Wiki” CD32 if you don't know what one is)

There was a re-release of Sid Meier's Pirates a few years ago on the PC and that is when my love of the game was rekindled, playing it through several times. Now you can play your favourite Pirate adventure game while travelling.

The PSP version of the game seems to have kept all the charm and detail of the original, but with improved graphics.

The game places you as a young privateer who decides to mutiny on his ship and take over. Once you do you must now sail the Spanish Main looking for other ships to loot or ports to take over.

The aim of the game is to find your lost family, all have been hidden in different places around the map and you must find pieces of a map to find each one and then work out where it is using your main map. To get the pieces of maps you need to track down other pirates and evil do-ers and beat them in a dual.

Sailing around can sometimes take a long time if the wind is against you so keeping up the rations and crew moral is important otherwise your crew might mutiny against you and chuck you overboard.

When you start the game you pick which nation you are going to ally yourself too, you can change this at any time by committing piracy against other nation's enemies. If you for example ally to England if you attack Spanish ships and take them over or sink them you will get promotions and rewards from English governors at English controlled ports. The same goes for if you attack a port and take it over and give it to your ally nation.

The controls of the game are very simple and a lot of the time you will be fighting other ships to trying to loot them or steal the ship, battles normally consist of moving your ship to avoid enemy cannon fire, while keeping one side of your own ship facing them to barrage them with a volley from your cannons. There can be the odd time where you judge the size of a ship incorrectly and find that the enemy seriously out guns you, at that point you can turn your ship and try to sail to the edge of the screen to escape.

Ports are where you buy your supplies and recruit more men from the local tavern, if your ship is wealth and moral is high then more men will try to join you and if you are doing pretty well you can have more than one ship but you only control one at a time.

Taverns also is where you can get rumours and treasure maps from barmaids and seedy old men. Most of the time if you are a bit stuck for what to do it's best to head to the nearest friendly port and go to the tavern for information.

Although the game gives you a lot of freedom, there is a time limit to the game as your character grows older and once he gets too old he will retire and the game ends, even if you fail to get back all of your family. The time limit is quite long and really is just down to if you spend a lot of time sailing around aimlessly.

Pirates is a great game and one that brings back memories from when i was younger and the game has aged very well, still fun to play and keeps you interested all the way through.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Wed 18/07/07 at 22:00
Regular
"Captain to you."
I used to use my Amiga CD32 all the time, and the one game that barely ever go out on my drive was Pirates Gold. (some of you might want to “Wiki” CD32 if you don't know what one is)

There was a re-release of Sid Meier's Pirates a few years ago on the PC and that is when my love of the game was rekindled, playing it through several times. Now you can play your favourite Pirate adventure game while travelling.

The PSP version of the game seems to have kept all the charm and detail of the original, but with improved graphics.

The game places you as a young privateer who decides to mutiny on his ship and take over. Once you do you must now sail the Spanish Main looking for other ships to loot or ports to take over.

The aim of the game is to find your lost family, all have been hidden in different places around the map and you must find pieces of a map to find each one and then work out where it is using your main map. To get the pieces of maps you need to track down other pirates and evil do-ers and beat them in a dual.

Sailing around can sometimes take a long time if the wind is against you so keeping up the rations and crew moral is important otherwise your crew might mutiny against you and chuck you overboard.

When you start the game you pick which nation you are going to ally yourself too, you can change this at any time by committing piracy against other nation's enemies. If you for example ally to England if you attack Spanish ships and take them over or sink them you will get promotions and rewards from English governors at English controlled ports. The same goes for if you attack a port and take it over and give it to your ally nation.

The controls of the game are very simple and a lot of the time you will be fighting other ships to trying to loot them or steal the ship, battles normally consist of moving your ship to avoid enemy cannon fire, while keeping one side of your own ship facing them to barrage them with a volley from your cannons. There can be the odd time where you judge the size of a ship incorrectly and find that the enemy seriously out guns you, at that point you can turn your ship and try to sail to the edge of the screen to escape.

Ports are where you buy your supplies and recruit more men from the local tavern, if your ship is wealth and moral is high then more men will try to join you and if you are doing pretty well you can have more than one ship but you only control one at a time.

Taverns also is where you can get rumours and treasure maps from barmaids and seedy old men. Most of the time if you are a bit stuck for what to do it's best to head to the nearest friendly port and go to the tavern for information.

Although the game gives you a lot of freedom, there is a time limit to the game as your character grows older and once he gets too old he will retire and the game ends, even if you fail to get back all of your family. The time limit is quite long and really is just down to if you spend a lot of time sailing around aimlessly.

Pirates is a great game and one that brings back memories from when i was younger and the game has aged very well, still fun to play and keeps you interested all the way through.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.