GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I have had enough! Help me out please!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 06/01/02 at 22:32
Regular
Okay, I'm sick, sick, sick to death of them. I want something done about it, but my voice alone will be unheard, I'm sure.

So I want your help to eliminate them!

What am I talking about? Time-limited demos on the Official PS2 mag coverdisc, that's what.

So I'm going to send then an e-mail asking them to try and sort out the problem, and I'd appreciate it if a number of you could do the same.

Here are some do's and don'ts I'd like you to observe...

Don'ts:

1. DO NOT spam them or send them any junk mail.

2. DO NOT be abusive or nasty in any way.

3. DO NOT mention me in any way, or say that "someone asked me to send you this message".

Do's:

1. DO state that you are annoyed at time-limited demos on the coverdisc.

2. DO say that having to re-load the demo or re-boot the console is annoying and puts you off of playing the demo a second time, which also affect the chances of you enjoying it enough to buy the full game.

3. DO say that demos which you can simply restart mean that you play them more and are more likely to get you 'hooked' and buy the game.

4. DO say that you realise they can only use code that developers supply, but would appreciate it if they could request that developers do not use time-limits etc. in the demos they provide.

Their letters-page e-mail address is:
[email protected]

Doesn't matter if you don't even buy the mag - send them an e-mail anyway! The more people mail them, the more likely they are to try and do something about it.

Thank you all.
Sun 06/01/02 at 22:32
"High polygon count"
Okay, I'm sick, sick, sick to death of them. I want something done about it, but my voice alone will be unheard, I'm sure.

So I want your help to eliminate them!

What am I talking about? Time-limited demos on the Official PS2 mag coverdisc, that's what.

So I'm going to send then an e-mail asking them to try and sort out the problem, and I'd appreciate it if a number of you could do the same.

Here are some do's and don'ts I'd like you to observe...

Don'ts:

1. DO NOT spam them or send them any junk mail.

2. DO NOT be abusive or nasty in any way.

3. DO NOT mention me in any way, or say that "someone asked me to send you this message".

Do's:

1. DO state that you are annoyed at time-limited demos on the coverdisc.

2. DO say that having to re-load the demo or re-boot the console is annoying and puts you off of playing the demo a second time, which also affect the chances of you enjoying it enough to buy the full game.

3. DO say that demos which you can simply restart mean that you play them more and are more likely to get you 'hooked' and buy the game.

4. DO say that you realise they can only use code that developers supply, but would appreciate it if they could request that developers do not use time-limits etc. in the demos they provide.

Their letters-page e-mail address is:
[email protected]

Doesn't matter if you don't even buy the mag - send them an e-mail anyway! The more people mail them, the more likely they are to try and do something about it.

Thank you all.
Sun 06/01/02 at 22:40
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
I agree, but I don't think they'll be able to do much as they don't make the demos. They'd have to do the same thing (as you want to do to them), but to every single developer. I doubt they would do it.
Mon 07/01/02 at 00:29
Regular
"accidental superher"
which ones have been time limited??
i done really play many of the demos...
is wipeout fusion one of them...cos that seems to refuse to load up when i try it...it did once though
Mon 07/01/02 at 00:56
Regular
"Maximum Homerdrive"
i'll write to them as the head hunter demo is taking the muffin i mean micky :)
Mon 07/01/02 at 09:21
"High polygon count"
beanz wrote:
> which ones have been time limited??

Most of them! Jak & Daxter, Headhunter, Wipeout Fusion (ends once you've completed 3 laps).

Most of them simply end and kick you back to the coverdisc menu once you die or complete the level - which I still count as a time limit.
Mon 07/01/02 at 09:36
The other thing that annoys me are demos where if you leave them idle for a couple of minutes (and there is no pause button in the demo), it goes back to the OP2M menu.

PC demos tend to be of a reasonable length. Maybe developers think that console owners have short attention spans, and wouldn't buy the full game if they got too much enjoyment from the demo. I seem to remember playing the PC UT demo to death (more so than some of the full PS2 games I've bought!), and still buying the full game, as I loved the demo so much. There's no point in a demo, if it doesn't give you a long enough taster of the game. It makes you wonder if the developers have something to hide.
Mon 07/01/02 at 09:51
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Sure, I'll send an e-mail to them as I completely agree. It might seem a bit suspicous if they receive about 30 e-mails voicing the same concerns in the same day though!
Mon 07/01/02 at 10:20
"High polygon count"
It doesn't matter if it's suspicious or not... they'll still know that people don't like it, which is the main thing.

Thing is, a lot of people think "Aw, that sucks" but don't bother telling the mag. Or, people mail them at various stages and they just ignore/forget about it.

At least if they get a lot of mail about it at around the same time, it will stick in their mind, and they may at least put in a request to the developers.

My thinking is that the demos are a big, big advert for the game - and probably a free advert too; mags are always saying "we're trying to get a demo of Game X", so I doubt the developers pay to put the demo on the disc.

It's a bigger advert for the game (in my opinion) than any magazine or TV advertising campaign, review or video clip - so it's in their interest not to have anything in the demo which the consumer considers unsatisfactory.

For example, the first time I tried the Ace Combat 4 demo, it took me a minute or so to get acquainted with the controls. That minute meant that I didn't complete the mission in time. Then it kicks me out to the coverdisc menu, and I have to reload and sit through an intro again - that is just too infuriating for me to bother with. Maybe the intro can be skipped, but to be honest I was so peed off at yet another time-limited demo that I just didn't bother.
Mon 07/01/02 at 21:02
Regular
I`ve sent an e-mail just now. Basically what you said except I replaced "Wookiee Monster wrote:" with "I did wrote:".

Nah seriously, the mail is sent, and with the message you intended.
Mon 07/01/02 at 21:08
Regular
"Bah"
Its too tru, all the demos this month like twisted metal black and headhunter are really annoying with that timer - why cant we have no time limit like the origioanl MGS Demo on the PSOne?
MM

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.